Manifold Changeover valve???

N

Nickyd1978

Hi All,

This is all new to me but seeking expert advice!

I have owned my A2 since June 07 it is an 04 plate. It has driven like a dream up untill Dec when the Engine Management light came on. We had this tested and it came back with the above problem

"Manifold Changeover Valve"

1). Does anyone know what this is?
2). Is it expensive to fix?

The car is still driving perfectly without any tell tale signs of problems. The local garage said that this can sometimes come on if the car mis-fires on start up. They re-set it and it was fine for a couple of days then came back on!

Any help on this would be appreciated!:confused:

Hi Nickyd1978, welcome to the A2oc.
I assume you have a diesel - on these engines there is a butterfly valve in the air intake pipe. This is closed when the engine is switched off to limit the ammount of air being drawn into the cylinders. Without this, the engine has a tendency to come to stop with a 'thump' as the piston comes to an abrupt stop on the last compression stroke. It does not do any harm but did raise many customer complaints on early VW engines without this feature as it can sound like the engine has suffered major damage.
It depends on your engine code but some cars used a vacuum system to activate the valve while other models use a small electric servo motor.
Sorry I don't know the cost to fix as it could be anything from a loose pipe on early systems to a failed servo motor assy.

Cheers Spike

Back