rear speaker buzzing?

andyboy

is that a tiny speaker by the rear door handle? if it is mine is buzzing and driving me mad, how do i get to it?

To disconnect the speaker, you need to remove the door card - 3 x T25 bolts, 2 under the grab handle, 1 behind the top grille. To remove the top grille, insert a knife behind the grill (in between it and the handle) and prise it out.

Then, starting at the bottom, tug to release the clips. You may also need to remove the window winder on non-electric cars,

Cheers,

Mike

It's your call really - if it were me, then I'd replace it, only because I'd know it wasn't right.

If you like, just put the fader to full front to silence the buzz. It's a lot quicker and a fair bit cheaper.

Cheers,

Mike

Our 2nd A2 had this problem from new - a static hiss from a rear speaker all the time, even when the stereo was turned off.
A couple of trips to the dealers eventually led to a new headunit being fitted. I think they also tried changing the speaker and amplifier with no joy.

Maybe your litte Amplifier does not tur off correctly. You can take out the little tweeter. It is still good enough.

i think the noise is there even with the radio turned off, i'll check it tomorrow if that's the case i think it will get disconnected.

i think the noise is there even with the radio turned off, i'll check it tomorrow if that's the case i think it will get disconnected.
Yes, this could be! Normaly, the little Amp has a switched plus kabel from the radio, so it should be off when the radio is off. But there is no relay only a transistor (so: electronik) to turn the power off from the internal preamplifier. But it is possible, that it does not turn off! But Audi will not find the problem on most cases, because this is electronic, something for a professional;)
So you got chances to check this... :

Pin 5 from the little Blaupunkt-Amplifier is the switched plus, so check if there are 12 Volts from there to ground if the radio is off.

I just thought I would bump this one back up. Ive now got the same problem. I just picked up my a2 and didnt notice it on the test drive. the back speaker behind the driver has intermittent static sound even when its off!

any ideas for a fix?

thanks
Joe

I also have this issue.
The small (tweeter sized) speaker near the passenger side rear door handle buzzes even when radio is turned off.
Is there an easy fix or replacement?

Does anyone have any more info on this or a fix that works?

Im really keen to get to the bottom of mine and tick it off the 'To-do' list of niggles

Thanks

I also think I only get the buzzing when the engine is on/ running and possibly it gets louder when I accelerate

Any thoughts?

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any more info on this, or a fix that works... I tried chnaging my amp in the footwell a little while ago and thought this had sorted it but it didnt

Im looking at getting a replacement head unit but does anyone have any advice on this in the meantime, otherwise I think I will just admit defeat and disconnect the smaller speakers/tweaters in the doors for now as its driving me mad!

Thanks

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any more info on this, or a fix that works... I tried chnaging my amp in the footwell a little while ago and thought this had sorted it but it didnt

Im looking at getting a replacement head unit but does anyone have any advice on this in the meantime, otherwise I think I will just admit defeat and disconnect the smaller speakers/tweaters in the doors for now as its driving me mad!

Thanks

Hi,

The buzzing is probably caused by a ground loop between the head unit and external amplifier. As long as it isn't a fault in the head unit itself, the fault is probably in the wiring so replacing the head unit many not fix it.

The ground loop forms when two pieces of equipment are grounded at different levels. This allows a small current to flow between them on the signal interconnect which due to the sensitive nature of this causes the unwanted signal to be heard in the Audio.

Both the head unit and amplifier are connected to the same grounding point but there may be corrosion or dirt on an interconnect or junction that affects the earth on one of the two.

I used to have buzzing problems with my head unit and BOSE amp so it affected all speakers. The problem was the head unit as movements to the head unit would effect the level greatly. When it was bad it sounded like the car had a very large supercharged engine and moving the head unit normally fixed it. A previous owner broke the retaining clips off so it would slide out on hard acceleration!
Fitting my XCarlink unit fixed both problems for me. I wired the XCarlink directly to the body earth point (by the passenger front door hinge) and it has a connection to ground the head unit to its earth. When I did this, the buzzing stopped and has never returned. It has also fixed my radio in place as the extra cables stop it sliding out!

I would suggest first cleaning all the connectors on both the head unit and amp with electrical contact cleaner. If the problem persists, try earthing the head unit case with a test lead connected to to a known good earth (e.g. by passenger door hinge). If this still doesn't fix it, try earthing the radio supply ground, thick brown wire on the 8 pin black connector. If that doesn't work you could try the effect on the signal earth.

The following post shows details of the audio system and connections.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?24226-Upgrading-rear-speakers&p=190087#post190087

regards

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I may need to swing by yours one weekend if you have anytime to help me look at it. I am going to try and fit a different head unit next weekend but from you have said this may not solve the problem...

How are you getting on with the wheels? Have you had a chance to do anything with them?

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Andrew, I may need to swing by yours one weekend if you have anytime to help me look at it. I am going to try and fit a different head unit next weekend but from you have said this may not solve the problem...

How are you getting on with the wheels? Have you had a chance to do anything with them?

Cheers

Lee

Hi,

The refurb is done and new tires are on. I pick them up Monday. I'm not going to put them straight on as I want to do something about my rusty brake drums and front calipers first.

I'll put some pictures up on my Members Cars thread when they're on.

regards

Andrew

Back