Not so new A2 TDI Sport.

Keithb

Hello,

So I collected my new A2 yesterday, it involved flying up to Glasgow (from Birmingham), and then driving the little fellow all the way down again. :)

It was a stunning trip, and the car performed faultlessly over the 400 miles from Ayrshire to my house in Leamington. Unfortunately the car is still rather dirty, but today (in the freeeeezing wind) I did manage to spend some time giving the interior a good clean.

It seems to be a solid little car, full service history (all Audi apart from the last one), 3 previous owners, 71500 on the clock, and in pretty good condition. I got it for a bit of a bargain (a good grand less than he was asking for it), but it does need a thorough clean, a 72k service, and a new dipstick.

Here are a few pictures I'll post more of the days journey up soon, and some of it minted when I get a chance to give it a proper clean. :D

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/burdonite/?action=view&current=IMG_7358.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to give the little fella a wash today:
03-1.jpg

If the weekend weather is ok I'll break out the clay and wax. :D

Hi Keith

Your A2 looks very smart and the clean lines unbroken lines goes to show the smooth "grill" inspection flap is far more suited to the A2 than the slatted ones, especially for black A2 - well that's my opinion!!

The shiny black inspection grill is my favourite part of A2's. It currently doesn't open very well, so I'll be tweaking that at the weekend :D

Hehehe cheers Mike, however it will be shinier very soon. ;)...and when I get paid again I'll be contacting you about retro-fitted Cruise. :)

The shiny black inspection grill is my favourite part of A2's. It currently doesn't open very well, so I'll be tweaking that at the weekend :D

Hehehe cheers Mike, however it will be shinier very soon. ;)...and when I get paid again I'll be contacting you about retro-fitted Cruise. :)

Well if the inside is as clean as the outside, it'll be a pleasure to work on.

Don't rub too hard - you might wear a hole in the paint!

Cheers,

Mike

The bodywork and wheels used Meguiars NXT Gen Shampoo, Meguiars Clay bar/detailer, Turtle Wax black colour magic polish, and Meguiars NXT Gen Wax. The windscreen got treated with Autoglym Glass cleaner, and the tyres were treated with Meguiars Tyre Dressing (the one that smells like blueberries :)).

How long did it take you to clay the whole car? I got about two panels done last year then I got bored. :p

Hehehehe yeah claying takes a while. I think it took me about an hour and a half to clay the whole thing, but it was VERY dirty (lots of stuck on tar and stuff).:)

how's the ride

how is the ride with those 17" s-line wheels?
i have just bought an almost identical car to yours (black, looks like new in and out) and it came on 15" originals with the 17" as an extra (15" with wintertires now on it)
I am going to pick it up on friday so very curious on the ride as i did not try the 17" yet.

how is the ride with those 17" s-line wheels?
i have just bought an almost identical car to yours (black, looks like new in and out) and it came on 15" originals with the 17" as an extra (15" with wintertires now on it)
I am going to pick it up on friday so very curious on the ride as i did not try the 17" yet.

To be honest the ride isn't that harsh at all, but it all depends on the condition of your roads, the roads near me aren't great and we have lots of speed bumps to. If you are used to cars with super soft comfy suspension then yes it will feel firm, but I think it is a perfectly comfortable setup for everyday driving. :)

I remember when the sport came out Autocar were very critical of the ride saying it ruined the car and to stick with standard suspension set up. After an A6 the ride is hard but after a track suspension set-up on an Astra i had it seems ok to me. I think the dog would prefer a softer set up.....! I would imagine the suspension/wheel/tyre combination make for better handling/roadholding. Can anyone comment if the sport set up is inherantly noisier than the with 15"/16" wheels/standard suspension set up a la SE?

( sorry to hi jack this thread, I aquired my A2 about the same day as you did this one!)

To be honest, i think that when people test cars for publications they always comment on the ride quality, especially if they can't find fault elsewhere.

They should try out a tarmac spec rally car, then they'll know the meening of "Harsh Ride"

I remember when the sport came out Autocar were very critical of the ride saying it ruined the car and to stick with standard suspension set up. After an A6 the ride is hard but after a track suspension set-up on an Astra i had it seems ok to me. I think the dog would prefer a softer set up.....! I would imagine the suspension/wheel/tyre combination make for better handling/roadholding. Can anyone comment if the sport set up is inherantly noisier than the with 15"/16" wheels/standard suspension set up a la SE?

( sorry to hi jack this thread, I aquired my A2 about the same day as you did this one!)

I only had my original SE for about 5 days so I can't give an exact comparison, but what I do remember is that the SE was certainly smoother over small ruts, but the longer travel and more flexible/larger tyre sidewalls did give it a bit of wander in tight corners.

I much prefer the Sport setup, the cornering ability, overall refined ride, and all round control reminds me of my Mini driving days! (minus the constant Mini 'rubber cone suspension' bouncing!) :D
(BUT this could all also have something to do with the Yokohama Paradas the previous owner fitted ;))

I too prefer the 'sport' set up and I am sure Autocar staff know exactly what a tarmac rally set up is like. What you have to remember is that the vast majority of car buyers are not car enthusiasts or understand handling/roadholding issues etc.The reality is most people want economy, comfort, reliability. My 'ex' sold cars for 10 years and most customers haven't a clue about cars, hence why would she have done so well selling Hyundai Atoz' 10 years ago!!?? Just ocasionally I do miss the set up on my ZT-T which was simply the best ride/handling/roadholding compromise on a larg-ish car I have ever experienced, even BMW admitted the chassis engineers at MGR did some good stuff. Whatever we think about Audi and MGR, Audi have struggled to build good competitive chassis set-ups in recent years, the one probable exception being the A2 until the most recent RS4 and new R8/A5. My previous generation a6 with so-called 'sport' suspension option was a barge in the handling department even with new Monroe gas struts up front.

Last edited:
LOL I've not updated this thread in a while :D

Anyway as I've recently taken ownership of our A2 again (it has been a Mum truck for the past 5 years) I thought I'd get the little fella back up to scratch ;)

Future plans include;
- some Timmus Komfortblinker loving
- re-trimmed seats
- bodykit/spoiler when I can find one
- full detail/paint correction as the front end is more stone chips than black paint and there are 2 parking dings :(
- black side repeaters
- a Stealth Racing mechanical 'going over' just so the little fella is in tiptop running order.

I should really update this thread more often!

Well the side repeaters, Stealth going over, full detail and Komfortblinker all happened. As did a Timmus colour DIS system.
AND I managed to source a Votex bodykit.

Here it is just coming out of the paintshop (this afternoon) ¦)
unnamed2.jpg

unnamed3.jpg

I am very excited. :)

Back