headlight bulbs

Hello and welcome!

The easiest way is to remove the bonnet, undo the 2 screws (T30 torx), one on the top of the headlamp, the other nestled between it and the service module area.

Then, slide the headlamp forwards and out, no need to disconnect any wiring.

Then just pull the wire clip aside to gain access to the inside and the bulbs.

The main beam is H3 and the dipped beam is H7

Cheers,

Mike

bulbs

Thanks all for the advice.Don't know why they made it so difficult in the first place.More work for the Audi dealers!!Not something you could do at the roadside.

I asked my local friendly dealer to do this, and paid the price!

In total it was £28.73 inc VAT for ONE BULB CHANGE (of which £7.59 was for the bulb!) Last time I had Audi Assistance out they told me they actually do it, so it might be one to remember in future!

I did this the other day - it is actually quite easy - apart from the wire clip - which you feel like you are going to break!

Skipton01, many thanks for the instructions. I wasted an afternoon without the instructions trying to replace a bulb with the headlamp assembly in situ (couldn't get the bulb retaining clip back); it took half an hour with your instructions, and most of that was finding a Torx bit.

It is ridiculous that any car has to go to a dealership to have a bulb changed, especially when it is such a safetly related issue and on the continent many countries require you to carry spare bulbs..... Mind you i suppose the intelligence of some 'drivers' makes it understandable....

you haven't tried changing bulbs on some other cars then. My friend's Honda Jazz requires taking the front wheel arch liner out to access the headlamp. I think 2hrs was the quoted time. Renault Megane, anyone? Two screws and handlamp out sounds far easier!

I tried replacing the bulb recently using instructions from this site, a fresh bulb and a shiny new T30 screwdriver... in halfords carpark in the snow/dark.... 20 mins fighting with the screw next to the service hatch :mad: and I gave up and paid Halfords £6 to swap the bulb out... 5 mins later the bulb was replaced with the cluster in situ... :confused: and 4 of those were because he couldn't get the metal clip to go back on!

I thought it can't be that hard!

Headlight went when the wife was driving home from work tonight. I picked up a spare on my way home and thought it would be a 5 min job..........

I simply cannot believe that on a car with such great design features in most other places that the easiest way to replace a headlight bulb is to take the unit out! :mad:

Cold, dark, hungry! Given up till daylight and as mentioned previously on this thread not a roadside job at all.

Even though I normally shy away from 'referring to the manual' I had to chuckle when it recommends going to a dealer to get the bulbs changed but seeing as access to the passenger side headlight is a complete design balls up I assume that they too would remove the headlight and then mug you for the pleasure!

AA call out or similar for someone not keen on driving in the dark on 1 headlight would to me seem a non productive use of time!

If the bulbs are this hard to change seemingly there is no point in carrying spares because a road side fix they are not!

I simply cannot believe that on a car with such great design features in most other places that the easiest way to replace a headlight bulb is to take the unit out! :mad:

Sadly its very common on many cars now and one of the design compromises, particularly on smaller vehicles where space is at a premium.
Although of little consolation, the A2 is by no means the worst offender. I just read the Ford Ka requires removal of the front bumper and the headlights. Typical cost for a main dealer to replace both bulbs is £150 (if you'r taking the bumper off it would be crazy not to do both)

Cheers Spike

Although of little consolation, the A2 is by no means the worst offender. I just read the Ford Ka requires removal of the front bumper and the headlights. Typical cost for a main dealer to replace both bulbs is £150 (if you'r taking the bumper off it would be crazy not to do both)

Cheers Spike

I've heard this with the current Clio too (at least before it got a facelift!)...the entire bumper needs to come off for the bulb change. It does seem like madness, especially on mainstream cars that are designed to be cheap to run...maybe it's a price to pay for having safer more advanced cars across all ranges?

My local garage charged me £50 to change one of mine in the A2, he had such a faff with it said it took him the best part of an hours labour! He's an honest sort so i did believe him. Audi once charged me something similar...

Since reading on here about removing the headlamp i invested in a torx screwdriver and it's a straightforward job. Yet another small mercy from the A2OC!

Cheers

David

I have never been able to get my cluster out so I always change my bulbs with it still attached to the car, one day I will take the unit out.

Hi guys, just a thank you for all you do on this forum. Some of you will remember me from a while back! I inherited my A2 from my dad (Hollyrescue) after he died and have been keeping it nice until recently due to lack of funds and can't afford to take my car to the garage to have things done. My bulb went in my headlamp and though oh s*** they will charge a bomb for that. But the instructions on this thread were great, bought the bulb and torx screwdriver off ebay and it cost me about £7 in total and was really easy to do and I know nothing about maintenance of cars. Next project is replacing a fog light as it is smashed due to a stone. I was quoted abot £250! But seen a replacement on ebay for £40 and with the intructions on here looks pretty easy to do. :)

headlamp bulb change

Just discovered this old link - having just ordered new high output high and dipped
Very useful advice (hopefully)
One quick question: what's a torx screwdriver?

Back