Error Code P0546 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High

Dan

Hi all,

I have recently purchase a 2003 Audi A2 1.6 FSI Sport which had only done 30000 miles which i thought was good for the year. When I drive around town (short distances) its fine i have no problems other than this knocking when pulling off, of which I have established the problem. However when i travel with work on long distance i.e. over 100 miles i get the engine management light which keeps returning the following code:

P0546 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High

Does anyone know if this is a common issue and how i can fix this problem?

Someone suggested a 'lamperprobe' but again unsure what that means exactly?

Keep us posted

Dan

Hello Dan,

This is what it says - the exhaust gas temperature sensor, which sits just after the manifold at the start of the exhaust. The part number is 036 906 088 C and the price is £99.70 from a dealer, inc. VAT.

There are also 2 other sensors in the exhaust, these are the lambda sensors, which people have referred to in your initial post as 'lamperprobes'. These measure the composition of the actual gasses and are not an issue here.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying. Can i ask this part # 036 906 088 C will this rectify my error code? Is the error due to the exhaust temperature or is it a fault with the part?

Also is this error likely to effect the car or cause me any further costs?

If not before i spend money on replacing can i remove the error code myself each time it returns?

Thanks

Dan

Try clearing down the error code, if you have the necessary kit, but the chances are that the sensor is shot and a new one will be the only long term solution.

I have seen suggestions that you can omit the sensor altogether and just screw in a bolt of the same size to seal the exhaust and then put a 2.2 Ohm resistor in series with the circuit to keep lights from coming on, but I cannot condone this work-around.

Cheers,

Mike

Back