Stiff Shift + Stealth Racing

Keithb

Hello,

I recently took my A2 into Stealth Racing for a few little jobs and alterations: front ARB's, 4 wheel alignment, and gearshift linkage adjustment.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the ARBs and 4 wheel alignment went like clockwork, however the 'quick' gear shift linkage adjustment turned into a bit more of a job than was predicted. Basically Vince and the boys had to replace the gear selector shaft, as the original had severe corrosion and one of the springs had broken (thus the none centred resting gearstick position). The shift is now much smoother and much less stiff.

So if you have a stiff shift, I can't recommend Stealth Racing enough, they really know what they are doing when it comes to anything A2 related.

Hmmm maybe a re-map next then??? ;)

K.:)

Hello,

I recently took my A2 into Stealth Racing for a few little jobs and alterations: front ARB's, 4 wheel alignment, and gearshift linkage adjustment.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the ARBs and 4 wheel alignment went like clockwork, however the 'quick' gear shift linkage adjustment turned into a bit more of a job than was predicted. Basically Vince and the boys had to replace the gear selector shaft, as the original had severe corrosion and one of the springs had broken (thus the none centred resting gearstick position). The shift is now much smoother and much less stiff.

So if you have a stiff shift, I can't recommend Stealth Racing enough, they really know what they are doing when it comes to anything A2 related.

Hmmm maybe a re-map next then??? ;)

K.:)

How much did it cost??

I think you're talking about 3 hours of labour, and £300 ish in various parts (give or take).

Symptoms - The seal on the selector fails after a while, water gets in to where the needle bearings sit, they start to rust, and also contaminate the gearbox oil (hence you'll need to flush the gearbox oil as well). The effect is that gear shifting starts to get a bit difficult, trying to adjust the linkages doesn't help at all (since the selector itself now wobbles a bit hence constantly putting everything out of adjustment), the gearstick doesn't centre, and the gearbox oil shows signs of contamination. The later revision of the selector has a better seal.

Last edited:
I think you're talking about 3 hours of labour, and £300 ish in various parts (give or take).

The seal on the selector fails after a while, water gets in, the bearings start to rust, and also contaminate the gearbox oil.

Hi,

It is also well worth checking that the "rainwater catcher" has not been moved out of position. This happens a lot and the water can pour straight into the gear selector parts on top of the gearbox.

I would bet that probably as many as half the A2s out there have that little cup collector pushed out of position!!!

Steve B

Back