Squealing Starter Motor

d4v1d sm4rt

A2OC Donor
I have a starter motor that has a graunchy squealing noise on the overrun after you have started it. I have read most threads i can about it but no one has either said what it is or how to cure it. I have a 1.4 TDi 52 plate. Any info gratefully recieved...

Well known problem. I also have it;)
There is a way to fix that afterrun. You must oil/grease the starter. For that you must remove some cover and it is a bit of work to do and to reach the aerea..
I could find the German thread with the instruction if you request...

Funny that mine does the same somtimes, on a 52 plate TDI like alot of things that i haven't got round to doing . maybe SKIPTON will pass on his words of wisdom

Cheers Phil

No words of wisdom, just a picture, that speaks a thousand words:

Starter01.jpg

Maybe Erstens can point out the lubrication points.

Cheers,

Mike

In the image: red: release /loosen the screws. Blue: moving parts! Need grease there! (lubrication points).

On top of the motor (part No 7) is the magnet switch which is a coil with an iron core. This must move forth and back and there is only a little spring what brings the force to move the gear back from the engine.

Liegt zwischen Getriebe und Schlossträger.
Batterie abklemmen
Getriebeabstützung ausbauen
Alle Kabel vom Anlasser entfernen
Dann die beiden langen Doppelschrauben vom Getriebe rausschrauben
Anlasser nach unter rausfummeln. Evtl. ne zweite Person, die den Kühlwasserschlauch bei Seite zieht.

Brauchst ne Langnuss für die Doppelschrauben. Ist ne SW18, wenn ichs noch recht im Kopf hab. Mit nem 18er Schlüssel wirds schelcht gehen, bei M12x150. Ausserdem haste fast keinen Platz zum Drehen.
^^disconnect battery; remove all cables from the starter; unscrew long screws from the (main) gear; pull out starter motor

1) Seitlich am Anlassmotor findet man den Magnetschalter (Anzugsspule ähnlich einem Relais) der über einen Hebelmechanismus dafür sorgt, dass das Ritzel beim Startvorgang ausfährt. Der Eisenkern in der Spule der den Hebel betätigt, gleitet in einer Buchse in und her. Für das Rückstellen nach dem Anlassen ist nur eine Feder in der Spule verantwortlich die alles wieder in Ausgangslage zurückdrückt. Sollte es dort schwergängig gehen, dauert der Rückstellvorgang eventuell zu lange und es 'kratscht'. Also in jeden Fall beim abschmieren nicht vergessen! Öffnen kann man den Magnetschalter, in dem man die 3 Torx-Schrauben am Gehäuse löst und so an den Eisenkern in der Spule kommt.

2) Den Motor selber bekommt man geöffnet wenn man hinten am Rand des Motorgehäuses die 2 Schrauben (ich glaube 6er SW) rausdreht. Dort kann man dann, wenn man alles auseinandergezogen hat, das Planetengetriebe und den Ausfahrmechanismus schmieren. Am Freilauf selber kann man nichts machen, da er zugepresst ist.
^^grease the magnet switch by unscrewing the three screws and care for easy movement of the iron core. There is a lever also whichs connects the core with the small gear inside the starter motor.

After greasing the parts all is fine;)

Last edited:
There you go - a fine example of Anglo/German relations, leading to a successful outcome!

Thanks Andre for your input.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
Dodgy Solenoid?

thank you gentlemen for your input
as the "very nice man" from the AA said it must be a DODGY SOLENOID...
I will pull it and give it a grease up on the weekend and report back on my findings

Hurrah ! and Hussar ! The noise has gone !

Took the motor off (had to drop the tray to get the bolt underneath) (no need to disconnect the battery just put the wires in a rubber glove) The solenoid was a bit grubby inside so just used some 800 grit on it and gave it a light grease. Greased the rest of it inside where i could too.
Works a treat now.
It was about a couple of hour job at a really slow and deliberate pace.
next stop diesel filter...

Hi Everybody

I think I have this problem but my local mechanic is adamant I need a new starter motor. To be fair I've had a few cars over the years and at first listen without seeing what you lot have been writing I'd agree with him. He has only heard it once though.

I thought I'd record the sound with my phone and upload it to this audioboo website so maybe if you don't mind having a listen you can let me know if it's the same sound you have and hopefully I will only need to give it a grease. It happens pretty much every time I start the car unless I'm very quick to release the key just as it ticks over if you see what I'm saying. Annoyingly, when I recorded this clip it took 2 starts so it doesn't paint you a 100% accurate picture of what I experience and the consistency but the aim was to play you the sound so you can tell me if it's the same problem. So, here's the clip:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/32522-starter

I'd be very grateful if you can get back to me on this one as I can't afford to fork out for a starter motor if I don't need one!!!

Thanks in advance

Garnish

Hi Garnish
To me it sounds like the starter pinion is not retracting quickly enough once the engine has fired up. I would guess there is more than a 50% chance that a good clean and lube of the mechanism which engages the pinion would cure the problem.

Cheers Spike

I've had the exact same noise you posted for the past 3 to 4 years. IMHO, nothing to worry about unless you have difficulty starting the car. Dirty starter is actually very common, not just A2, i've seen, heard rather, on many other cars.

starter motor update

after a while the noise came back on certain startups but i have just lived with it and it has been ok

Gents, my worst nightmare with this would be to be stuck in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday and the starter conk out. You have put my mind at ease

Thanks

Garnish

starter motor

so does it work if you clean it up ?

i have just ordered a new one from euro car parts only £60

Cleaning !?!?

Did it work cleaning this then as i have the same problem with that noise !

Gents, my worst nightmare with this would be to be stuck in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday and the starter conk out. You have put my mind at ease

Thanks

Garnish

Charger mate, I believe the noise comes back after cleaning, most people ignore it or simply change the starter motor.

Cheers

Sarge

Ok

Yes i have heard it comes back iv ordered a new one for £60 NRG one from eurocarparts im not sure if any good but its brand new and that included the delivery should be fine i hope !

Charger mate, I believe the noise comes back after cleaning, most people ignore it or simply change the starter motor.

Cheers

Sarge

Back