Cruise control (electronic version) now available for 1,2 TDI!

erstens

The 1,2 TDI does not has the cruise control software already in the engine control unit. This is why the only possible cruise control was to install a servomotor which pushes/pulls the gas pedal by a rope/bar.

Now there is the possibility to get the same cruise control retrofit in the 1,2 TDI as for all other A2. The cruise control software is not already installed in the control unit for the 1,2 TDI (but for all other A2).

You need to send your control unit (and for that time you get a spare unit) to a German guy who can programm the software to the control unit.

He does this for all German customers and it works but I don't know how about UK citizens etc. but I think you can ask him. He also lives near my home (25-35 miles away).
Another German shop offers this service but they also send the control unit to vaglupo
You may ask me. Here is the German thread: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=29104
He also can install a manual shiftet gear to your 1,2 TDI!
Contact: though our German forum via PM or PM him here: http://www.lupo3lclub.de/forum/prof...e&u=2618&sid=bc13b69df7457d7d664e921e3a0cf5ce

This is new for the Audi A2. We know scince this year;)

Ah! And Mike (Skipton01) is able to install the rest (cables and switches) then ;)

Last edited:
CruiseControl retro on A2 1.2 TDI Tiptronic

Hi Erstens,

So it has at last happened!

Many thanks for this information...........perhaps Lukas and Rab will also be interested.

I have read (with Babel fish translation) all posts on this and understand that upgrade process is:

Remove and send my main car control box to be reprogrammed by 'vaglupo' (Euro 60 plus shipping) or 'cartec' (Euro 145 plus shipping, incl reprogramme,plus supply of new control lever and cable).

My control box returned after a few days and can be refitted car. NO requirement for VagCom or visit to Audi dealer for recoding.

Car will then operate normally, but without cruise control function, until Skipton can install cruise control lever and cables.

Have I understood this correctly?

Is it OK to isolate car battery for a week or two while control box being re-programmed? Do other control units or instrument cluster require power to retain function/data memory?

Also, will Audi dealer detect that control box has been re-programmed (my 2005 car has Audi extended warranty to 2009)?

Regards,

Erling

Hi.
Sorry that I have not seen your post.

You are right in all questions.
Remove and send my main car control box to be reprogrammed by 'vaglupo' (Euro 60 plus shipping) or 'cartec' (Euro 145 plus shipping, incl reprogramme,plus supply of new control lever and cable).
Yes.

If you got the control box back and install it and use the car, there may be an error-code saved to the unit but when Skipton has installed all cables, all will be fine.
I don't know what Audi will find out but if they are clever, they know that cruse control was not available for the 1.2 TDI so they will see it because of the switches...

But since no other function gets loose, there should be no problems.

erstens

If people want to get their ECUs prepared, I could possibly sort something out for a future social - perhaps ADI?

Cheers,

Mike

Erstens........Thanks for confirmation.

Skipton ...................Once I've got box re-programmed I'll let you know.

Rab isn't interested in CC fit for his 1.2 TDI and no input from other UK owners.

I need to get some outstanding Audi warranty work completed first:
u/s oil level sender
u/s fuel flap release servo
low frequency vib on clutch take up/low load drive (two piece fly-wheel???)
door crack hinge mod (still wtg parts.......).

Ciao,

Erling

Hi Erling

Would like more info on the system and manual version. Let me know how you get on with it.

Post some pics

Best

Lukas

What info do you need? It is the same cruise control like for the other models.
With manual, do you mean the manual shifted gear?

Hi,

I would like to know if someone has done it and is happy with it? I am very tempted but would like to hear from someone who has done it before I have my control unit reprogrammed...

Also, is there a trade-off? What channel is being freed to allow the CC to work?

Thanks,

Alain

We have lots of Gemans in the German forum done that and they are happy with it. I don't know about anyone from UK.
I don't know which channel. I visited Mirko once this year.
You always get your original coltrol unit no trade-off. But for the few days of programming you can get a spare box but you need to send this one back to him.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's interesting. I only contacted cum-cartec.de so far and they told me that they could not supply a spare box and that it would not work anyway. That's clearly wrong!

Do you know: if I have the box reprogrammed directly by Mirco, is then the rest of the GRA hardware standard, like what I would get for a 1.4 tdi, or is it still special stuff?

Thanks also for doing the link between the german and the uk forums. Although I am in Switzerland, my german is kind of limited...

Alain

Thanks, that's interesting. I only contacted cum-cartec.de so far and they told me that they could not supply a spare box and that it would not work anyway. That's clearly wrong!

Do you know: if I have the box reprogrammed directly by Mirco, is then the rest of the GRA hardware standard, like what I would get for a 1.4 tdi, or is it still special stuff?

Thanks also for doing the link between the german and the uk forums. Although I am in Switzerland, my german is kind of limited...

Alain
Cumcartec send the control unit to Mirko (VAGlupo) who programms it and then they send it back to you! So you better send it directly to Mirko! ;)
Deutsch ist aber auch gut:)

Yes, the rest of the hardware is like for the 1,4TDI. So then you got the normal cruise control.

OK, it is all becoming more clear now. I am getting there...

Just one thing I am not sure of: Where is this control unit I am supposed to send? From http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showpost.php?p=682748&postcount=47 I understand it is in a rack and is held by 2 clips which can be hard to unfasten, but where...? By the driver's foot well? Near the fuse box...? Any picture anywhere that would help me to make sure I undo the right thing...?

Thanks,

Alain

By the driver's foot well? Near the fuse box...?

Alain
Hi. On German (left hand steered) cars it is under the drivers foot well. (left side of the car.). For UK cars I think it is also on the left side (passengers side). It is simply the other side the little Amplifier or Bose-Amp is;)

Me again, sorry. I might be a bit blonde here, but I just can't find it! I don't have a Bose system :-( so I don't know where the amp is...

I can find the fuse panel and the diagnostic socket below the steering wheel. Then by the right side near the floor, there is an air vent. That's it! Am is supposed to remove some trim to get to it...?

Any help appreciated. Thanks again,

Alain

ps: I have a continental left hand drive car...

Remove the foot well the front on the left side of the car. You find a cover you can open. So simple. You find the same on the other side. Just do it. Pull the carpet out! (at the rear end).

See both boxes on the empty car (chassi).

I was looking at the wrong place! I was looking on the sides, I had never realized there was so much stuff under my feet... I would have wiped my feet more carefully before driving if I had known...! This car is amazing!

More seriously: I opened the lid. There is a black box, about 20 cm x 15 cm, with connections all on 1 side and the following writing on it:

Zentrale Komfortelektronik
8Z0 959 433 M
Temic 00006492B5

This is the box I am supposed to send, right? (I don't want Mirco to tell me I have sent him the amp, or anything stupid like that!!!)

I have ordered the hardware from cumcartec today and arranged a day with Mirco, so things are progressing...

Thanks again for all your help. Hopefully, this is my last question!

Alain

Zentrale Komfortelektronik
8Z0 959 433 M
Temic 00006492B5

This is the box I am supposed to send, right?
Alain
No this one (this is the box on top) is the central control unit für the radio, the elect. windows and so on.

The right box is the box under that one.

And the 1.2 TDI has there a third box. The third one os under the box for the engine you need to remove. The third one is for the automatic gearshift.

Here it is. (not th ebox on top). It is the box were the blue line goes to.

Last edited:
GRA - Bosch engine control box

Alain,
For the absolute avoidance of doubt the 1.2 TDI box that you need to send to have the missing GRA programme code added is the silver metal Bosch control box, Part
No: 045 906 019 BL, marked "Diesel EDC15P+ 5715". It's the middle one in the rack and difficult to extract if someone hasn't shown you how to release the two plastic cage side mounted retaining clips.

I sent my box from UK last week and await its return..............which means I'm having to use a 1.6 petrol auto MB A class, not very nice or fuel efficient.

I'll update everyone when it's all done and GRA functional.

Ciao,

Erling

Thanks to both of you for so much info.

difficult to extract if someone hasn't shown you how to release the two plastic cage side mounted retaining clips.

Unfortunately, there is no one around to show me, so will have to find out myself...hopefully not the hard way...
I guess I have to disconnect the battery and take the top box out first, right? Any tip about these dreaded clips or special tools I could need would be much appreciated...

Alain

No as I remember you don't need to take out the first box first. Just pull.
Amd try to push (I think so) some plastik lids on the side of the box which hold the box.

Back