Oil advice and recommendations here

Oilman

Banned
I get asked many questions about oil so I thought a thread here for all oil related questions would be a good idea and build into a FAQ or reference point for others.

So, put your oil questions here but please give the following information if you would like a recommendation:

Make
Model
Year
Engine size/type

Any mods

Type of use (road/track)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?

I hope this will help and become a useful thread

Regards
Guy

Transmission oil advice?

Here are the details for my car -

Make: Audi
Model: A2 TDI
Year: 2003
Engine size/type: 1.4 Diesel

Any mods: Jabbasport remap

Type of use (road/track): Road

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used): ?

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?: GEARBOX. What grade and quantity of oil is required?

Hello, I wonder if you could shed some light on some oil specs: What's the real difference between Castrol Edge 5W 30 and the Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w 40? According to the Castrol website, both are reccomended for my car (A2 1.4 TDi).

Isn't a dedicated turbo diesel oil better, as it has chemicals to hold the soot particles in suspension? Also, if 5w 30 is the correct viscosity for my engine, why don't Castrol make a dedicated Turbo Diesel oil in this grade? Finally, the note that comes on the Castrol website says the the thinner oil is for those engines with a diesel particulate filter. What difference does it make to the particulate filter if running a different grade oil? Phew!

Thanks

Last edited:
Dont be fooled by the turbo diesel bit, castrols edge range are all for petrol and diesel despite what they may say on the can. The TD oils just happen to carry certain diesel specs relevent to some manufacturers and its to help the customer choose an oil, you will see the TD bit beign dropped from their TD 5w-40 as petrol customers are worried about using it as it has diesel written on it.

You can use either.

Cheers

Guy

506 00, 506 01. long life oil replaced every year?

Hi, I'd like some advice! My 2001 A2 1.4 TDi had a `long life' service last time. According to the 2001 handbook, pg 218, the oil used will have been to 506 00 standard which, I think, is 0w-30 viscosity (according to
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/content/owners/Longlife_servicing.pdf). However, this 0w-30 product ( http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9014073&contentId=7027066 ) does not mention 506 00. Other web pages suggest this oil has been replaced by other grades.

Can somebody point me to an official source, stating what grade (if any) replaced the 506 00 standard please? Getting conflicting advice and finding the suggestion that the only source for a given oil is a VW / Audi garage is a bit frustrating! Checking the vw main site for `506 00' returns nothing and a check of the Audi site generates nothing either. By the way, I've contacted my local Audi dealership twice now; both times the phone was hung up when I asked about oil for my car! (Audi, Brentford, London).

Update: A search of http://www.opieoils.co.uk/search.aspx for 506 00 returns a few, 0w-30 products. Funny how opie helped but audi and vw didn't! I'm still interested to see an official link to any replacement information (if it exists), and peoples thoughts on using 506 00 oil with a once a year replacement (in spite of it being specified as ok for longer). I'm hoping that using the long life oil but replacing it once a year will extend the engine life...

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks for the response, Guy.

An update on the response from Audi: they got back to me via email, so moan over! They said the same thing as you.

Thanks for the help....

ive a 2002 1.4 petrol a2 uses 1 lt of oil every 2000 miles
which oil should i use.
id like to buy about 8 1lt bottles as the wife does 2000 a month and if i get 1lt bottles she cant over fit it..lol

ive a 2002 1.4 petrol a2 uses 1 lt of oil every 2000 miles
which oil should i use.
id like to buy about 8 1lt bottles as the wife does 2000 a month and if i get 1lt bottles she cant over fit it..lol

personally I'd stick with using the OEM spec oil and check/top-up weekly.

I've tried more viscous oils in my Smart car to minimal effect.

Check & change the spark plugs on an annual basis too.

Oil for the old girl...

Hello,
Just what I was looking for! Just got my first car (lovely little A2 1.4 SE 2001. My baby!) Alway's ready to learn everything I can about these great little cars, but have had a plethora of comments about the best engine oil to use!
Wondered if I could ask your advice? Price isn't an issue, only the absolute best for this buggy! So what would you suggest as a top brand engine oil?
Many thanks!

Audi did a massive development programme with Castrol so I always use Castrol Edge 5w30 which meets the latest VW 504.00 and VW 507.00 specs for both petrol and diesel A2s. I think Skipton said they are going through a similar programme with Mobil so we should see a second brand which has actually been tested by Audi.

Cheers Spike

Back