Door catch

the grim reeper

A2OC Donor
Finaly got round to doing the micro switch and door stop on the drivers door, well full catch has to be replaced, no wonder the tech at audi didn't want to do this, its not for the faint hearted, good job i've done jobs like this at work, but not on an A2.
Its a full door strip glass and frame out, got photos to put on when i get round to taking them off my phone.
Not a bad job to do now that i've done it once, just need to strip one of the back doors now to get the glass left in from when someone replaced a broken window and didn't take out the broken glass

CHeers Phil

Great. This is interesting for me because I have to do this work soon. I must install my glass with frame to the brand new door... (including all other parts )

Its alot easier than i thought, the window frame comes out as one piece, only four screws t45 two behind the frame rubber, two you get from the inside behind the inside panel

Cheers Phil

Thank you. I have a brand new door at home and will get a frame with the window from a 2005 model just to see how it is mounted. I will use my original window with frame for the new door (because as far as I know, the color of the windows has changed in the production).

HI it just slides down inside the door, and when it hits the bottom you just have to lift it a bit to line the holes up
Don't forget that the catch has to go in first

Cheers Phil

Last edited:
Hi thanks for taking the time to do this.

So to confirm, the door needs to open for buttons to light, does the m/s do the interior light aswell? did you notice if m/s is handed? would any door one fit?

Yes that's correct, the door has to be open for the two pillar switches to light up and be operated. Also your interior light will not come on as again the Door switch is link to that as well. The switch doesn't go/break instantly but over time in my case and finally fails. The fault is the micro switch in the door lock system as demo in the video, it may be the switch button is worn or the internal switch plates are worn either way its a replacement. Best bet to go to a scrap yard and take the door lock off yourself and whilst there take the buttons also if there in good condtion along with an oil dip stick, pop the buttons off the heat controller and light switch if there is better condition then yours, but if your are ok then you can sell the part on ebay as they are generic to Audi/VW and recoup the cost of the door switch that's if your as tight as me !! other then that get one off ebay. I paid £20 for all mentioned. Also if you do the scrap yard ensure you take the door plate section handle and all, just in case. Good luck.

@livermanx - thanks, i'm going tomorrow. Already been today and done very well with bits. A glovebox, CCU, some harness for towbar wiring, the clip over the tail lift lock all screws and clips for a total of £25. So hopefully the door lock assembly will be the same.

@livermanx - Did you notice if the m/s is handed? if not i'll probably strip the pass side aswell to get a less worn one.

Sorry, the reply for this Q somehow disappeared. Yes, it has to come from the drivers door side in the UK. As its not universal and it left/right hand specific.

Carried out the m/s change today and thanks to @livemanx instruction video it went very well. Strip and replace in 2 1/2 hours. The hardest part is getting the window in the correction position again. Because the 'nuts' move marking the frame does no good. Lots of levers and bars to push and hold it in position before securing and lots of trial and error. The micro switches are handed so the o/s/r door one could be fitted (note just the microswitch) by soldering in. Just another little tip before starting to strip the door down - test the switch operation by knicking the insulation on the wiring to the m/s and test with a continuity tester. Unless of course it is a guaranteed good one.

Thanks again to @livermanx

Glade it was of use. Ref the window position, I did mean to mention in the Video this part; if you note when you undo the inner bolts holding the window in place you should see a washer mark/impression on the frame, so when you put it back in place ensure it lines up with the washer mark. Nice to hear you can rob the rear door lock if so did you do that assuming the rear door has the micro switch, can you confirm that for others as its a ££ saving if you can just swop them over??

Back