Audi 1.4 Petrol consumption problems

billy_87

hi guys im kinda new to this site but no one seems to have the problem im having, i recently bought an Audi A2 1.4 SE petrol....im kinda getting pretty worried because the highest mpg that ive been able to get is 40 and that was only on one occasion purely on a motorway journey, after that ive been driving it locally in norwih town and the highest mileage to the galon ive been getting is 34, isnt that really bad... because according to people on this forum theyre getting roundish 45 or so, is it the way im driving, also ive got a feeling the tyre pressures arent right....ive done 28 psi for the rear wheels and 30 psi for the front wheels according to what audi told me to do....would really like if someone can help me out here, the cars reg is from 2000 an has the small tank version....i use the unleaded tesco fuel...

Just a little comfused of why people are getting really high mileages and im not, gota feeling im doing something wrong....thanks for the help...

i recently sold a 1.4, it averaged 35 to 40ish depending on use, a full tank would do min 270 max 350 miles(03 car)i think this had the larger tank?
not sure if any petrol cars are really doing 45 plus average.

I've got a 53 plate (old tank, I think... certainly has the flat service panel anyway) and it normally indicates around 400 miles for a full tank. That said, if my other half drove it last, whatever it says tends to sit still for the first 20 miles, then gradually creep up. My record to date is SE London to Norwich on -ve 25 miles. :)

She does the local driving. I do the big boy's stuff. :D

35-40 seems about right for me. I used to get even lower than 35mpg as I was living in the congestion charge zone and sits in traffic even in the weekends. I now get ~37mpg having moved to north west London. Motorways, I should get over 40mpg depending on how aggressive I am on the throttle. Stop/start, traffic lights kills the mpg very very quickly in the 1.4 petrol.

Petrol 1.4 2001 reg.

Hi,
I have posted this info on this site before ?? but here goe's, im averaging44/45 mpg on mixed driving (but have had a couple of lows ie 37/38) but these were rare!! the system i use is fill up to full tank, then drive till warning light comes on , then refill, this is normally around 27/28 litres a go, and my average miles are in the area of 240/248, i also need to say my car has the smaller sized tank (34 litre) I would recommend you try shell 'v' power petrol fuel, it gives me a much smoother ride + more omph etc 'only down side is the extra cost of this fuel at the pumps,

Cheers, ALAN.
PS, the above 'quoted figures' have been taken over 3 or more years so is a good guide Ithink!? lastely on motorway journeys i have had 54/56 mpg often! just thought ,make sure your tyres are checked, i put 30 psi all round in mine, check every two weeks and dont forget,
Terrarh for now,
Victor Meldrew.

thanks

thanks alot guys for all the feedback, would look into it and try what everyones suggested....ill definately keep the tyres under checkk

hi guys im kinda new to this site but no one seems to have the problem im having, i recently bought an Audi A2 1.4 SE petrol....im kinda getting pretty worried because the highest mpg that ive been able to get is 40 and that was only on one occasion purely on a motorway journey, after that ive been driving it locally in norwih town and the highest mileage to the galon ive been getting is 34, isnt that really bad

Its not terrible but it does seem a little on the low side. I am doing lots of motorway miles right now so I have been keeping an eye on it and over the past 3 months I have seen 43-45mpg. As I say that's mostly motorway miles and if I went a bit easier on the right foot those figures would improve a little.

Your figures do seem to be around 10% down on what I would expect from my experience but not horribly so. Whether a little TLC would improve matters I don't know but if you want fuel economy the first thing to do would be to inflate the tires to the higher end of the pressure range.

Mpg

hi guys im kinda new to this site but no one seems to have the problem im having, i recently bought an Audi A2 1.4 SE petrol....im kinda getting pretty worried because the highest mpg that ive been able to get is 40 and that was only on one occasion purely on a motorway journey, after that ive been driving it locally in norwih town and the highest mileage to the galon ive been getting is 34, isnt that really bad... because according to people on this forum theyre getting roundish 45 or so, is it the way im driving, also ive got a feeling the tyre pressures arent right....ive done 28 psi for the rear wheels and 30 psi for the front wheels according to what audi told me to do....would really like if someone can help me out here, the cars reg is from 2000 an has the small tank version....i use the unleaded tesco fuel...

Just a little comfused of why people are getting really high mileages and im not, gota feeling im doing something wrong....thanks for the help...

So glad I held out for the TDi.

We get no less than 54 mpg and have managed 73.

Ultimately the type of driving you do every day has a very big effect on the mpg that you would expect to get. For example, short distance driving with lots of stops & starts will give the type of mpg that you are experiencing. However long distance driving at 60mph with very few stops would give excellent mpg (particularly on a TDI). I am lucky with a benign daily journey that allows good mpg.

I concur with MikeMarsUK. Once the basics are correct (clean air filter, correct tyre pressures etc) it's down to the type of trips you do and whether you are thinking about energy consumption (driving style and use of accessories - eg air con). The fuel saving advice in the manual and the VW fuel saving tips (see MikeMarsUK subscript) are a good help.
I think the big advance in engines has been the improved efficiency at part-load - you can get the best benefit by driving to the engine's strengths. Although the 1.6FSI technology has now been superseded (Ford 1.0 litre EcoBoost for example) it can give very good economy. Mine has averaged 51mpg over the time I've had it (10 years 98 000 miles).

Mark

I have a 1.4 petrol with 170K plus on it and get around 38 mpg, lots of hills here in the lakes so have to press the go peddle deeper into he carpet, I have the smaller tank I think as it takes 36.00 from empty to fill. I don't do any motorway driving so can't give you a cruising mpg. My hubby does a load of driving on M6 in his car it's a 1.8 turbo petrol auto and he gets decent mpg but round town it's scary and goes into single figures he also points out that on a motorway if it rains his mpg is badly effected so I would think weather conditions must affect any cars mpg as well as how you drive it!

Back