Electric A2 ??

Sarge

A2OC Donor
I have been toying with the idea for quite a while now of making an Electric A2.

I wonder how big a job and how expensive it would be to make an electric A2, I mean aren't we off to a good start with the car being very light weight, and with all those spaces about like under the floor area's, it should be possible to get enough batteries to get a decent mileage out of the car.

Any idea's of where to get appropriate parts like batteries, motors?

What are your thoughts on this subject guys?! :)

Regards
SARGE

I think it was thought about some years ago. Not sure about the batteries though we had a ford focus in at work last year wich was a hybrid and we thought the battery would have been in the boot where the spare would have been but no, we couldn't find them they was well hidden. Was you thinking of going full electric or hybrid using the TDI/electric or petrol/electric?

Cheers Phil

I think it was thought about some years ago. Not sure about the batteries though we had a ford focus in at work last year wich was a hybrid and we thought the battery would have been in the boot where the spare would have been but no, we couldn't find them they was well hidden. Was you thinking of going full electric or hybrid using the TDI/electric or petrol/electric?

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil, The idea was to go full electric subject to getting a decent mileage from a single charge, this would be better I thought as the weight of the petrol engine would be removed, otherwise a hybrid may be the way to go.

Hope to get lots of feedback here :)

Kind Regards
SARGE

Hi Sarge, this was discussed a little way back, try the search function. My two pennies is that there is not sufficient spare storage space in the A2 for the batteries needed to make it EV. However as you suggest it does have the advantage of being lightweight. In the past I also suggested that a knackered Honda Insight would make a good donor vehicle as it has both a decent sized bonnet space and an existing vented battery compartment. I have never had the guts to do it personally but if I had the electrical/mechanical skills that you have....

As a side issue, if you look into these things, the oil companies and some American car companies have been buying up battery companies and their patents then grinding production to a halt to try and prevent a successful mass market EV hitting the streets. Disgraceful behaviour. However they are having an uphill struggle to stop EVs after the last round of high oil prices and we should be seeing half decent EVs on the market soon such as an EV version of the Mitsubishi i, a Smart EV and an all new small Subaru EV in 2009/2010. Let's just hope they are not only available on lease like the current Fiat e500 (about £750 a month(!) from the Nice car company but should be about £15K to buy in the future hopefully). HTH

I think this is possible in the A2, the batteries can be fitted in the boot and in the engine compartment to achieve a good weight distribution. I think there would be room to build a rack for the batteries above the electric motor. (Electric motors are small compared to the internal combustion engine).

The choice is do you marry the electric motor to the original gearbox or connect the motor direct.

Have a look at this site they manufacture the motor controllers
http://www.cafeelectric.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1
HTML:

A Toyota Yaris converted to electric. You will get a good idea of the cost and components involved. Click on the blog for details
http://www.electricyaris.com
HTML:

Thanks Guys, I will need to do a lot of research to see if it is going to be a viable project.

I would have thought to remove an existing Engine and Gearbox, to save as much weight and to get more space. My thinking was on the lines, that the A2 has space under bonnet after engine & gearbox was to be removed, under footwells, and boot.

I need to get info on appropriate parts to see the sizes, weights, power, costs etc.

I think this would need a donor/ scrapped car first otherwise the car may be out of commission for a long time, can't have that now :)

Do you guys think it would be feasible to get over 50 miles per charge out of it?
Also the 0-60 mph speed will proberbly leave the majority of cars standing :D
HAS, anyone attempted this on an A2 or indeed any other car here?

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sarge. If you could pull this off it would be a tremendous acheivement and testimony to the innovative design of the A2.

The other day I noticed my company had a Smart 2 car parked outside reception and it was plugged in! On inquiry I heard the company has 1 of 100 UK cars on loan/hire to assess the potential. Maybe you could see how they did it. If a car smaller than the A2 can be adapted then surely the A2 can be as well.

Keep us posted.

Hi Alan_uk - At this stage it is a concept in my head, ;) I haven't got any experience nor anyway near enough information on all things concerned to do with this... BUT .. that's not something thats stopped me doing things like this before. :)

I would love to see the Smart 2 if I could.

I think I have to look around to see if I can get a damaged A2 (due to costs) to start with and take it from there.
Anyone want to donate their A2 to a good cause? ... LOL :D

All/Any information on this subject will be appreciated.

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sarge

Found this web site about an electric conversion on a little Bedford Rascal van - it provides a good insight into whats involved in the modification of a petrol engined vehicle.
http://www.solarvan.co.uk/

Cheers Spike

may be look for a scrapped G-Wiz and take all the internals out? You'll not have air-con for sure ;-)

If you go all electric, which I think you should, don't forget the petrol tank can also be used to store more batteries!

may be look for a scrapped G-Wiz and take all the internals out? You'll not have air-con for sure ;-)

If you go all electric, which I think you should, don't forget the petrol tank can also be used to store more batteries!

Hi Humps, Yes I was thinking about the petrol tank, it will have to be removed if I go all electric (which I too would prefer), but obviously needed if I go Hybrid.

I am searching through the salvage yards but, EV's are proving very hard to find ... keep em peeled chaps! :)

SARGE

Do you remember a while a go, Topgear mod'ed a G-wiz, it was RC controlled by the Stig and raced against an RC car. It ended with a 'planned' explosion. But that g-wiz was mighty quick! I think they've up'ed the battery voltage, but not sure if they have swapped in a larger dc motor. In any case, that sort of power would be my ideal A2 EV conversion :-D hehehe

Do you remember a while a go, Topgear mod'ed a G-wiz, it was RC controlled by the Stig and raced against an RC car. It ended with a 'planned' explosion. But that g-wiz was mighty quick! I think they've up'ed the battery voltage, but not sure if they have swapped in a larger dc motor. In any case, that sort of power would be my ideal A2 EV conversion :-D hehehe

Can't seem to recall that episode :eek:

Whilst I admire your intentions, I can't I'm a lover of electric cars - I just don't see the point:

Firstly, the technology wouldn't have taken me on my 500 mile journey yesterday and the batteries aren't in any way greener. They'll need replacing every 5 years or so too and the power to charge them ultimately will come from a coal-fired power station or nuclear!

Please don't let me dissuade you as I hope you can succeed where others have failed, but electric is a dead end to me. Not entirely sure of what will win out eventually as most technologies have major downsides.

Cheers,

Mike

Hydrogen is the way forward I believe. A man in a shed beavering away will sort any problems out. Then sit back and watch the fat oil companies sweat.:)

I would like to think that hydrogen is the way forward, but to get it from water requires electricity and so you're back to square 1!!

Agree with the man in a shed though.

Cheers,

Mike

Back