Fog / Steam in lights

Paddys

I know that this has been done before - I would have replied to the original thread (dating back to '02) but it has been closed!

I have an issue with my NS headlight getting significatly steamed up which has led to my NS headlamp blowing and then blowing the OS too! Not good. I've fitted new bulbs and had the lights on at home for an hour to try and shift some of the moisture (I'll have a propper go with a hairdrier when I get back home at the weekend) but I'm concerned that it's going to happen again soon. I've had a look at the back of the light and it seems that the plastic cover has warped significantly as I can see light leaking out the back (there is no light leak on the OS and no water!). Any ideas other than buying a replacement cover (if they are available). In the closed forum (found by searching for steam) it suggested that there was a replacement "rubber" back for the lights which may solve the problem. Any one able to comment on that ???

PaddyS

Hi have you tried vasoline around the back rubber of the headlamp once you cleared the water out or put some of them water crystal absorbers in (tiny white packets).. ..

The rear covers are available as a separate part: 8Z0 941 158 for o/s, 159 for n/s and about £11 each.

If you're sure it's warped, then get a new one and investigate the cause (heat source), but I suspect it's not been refitted spot on - which is quite easy to do.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi have you tried vasoline around the back rubber of the headlamp once you cleared the water out or put some of them water crystal absorbers in (tiny white packets).. ..

The water crystal packets work a treat. I used to get loads of condensation in my headlights, and one little packet in each just keeps the moisture levels down. In severe temp changes (washing the car on a very cold day or cold rain on a warm day) they get a bit misty, but on the whole they are completely dry.

Thanks guys...

I will have another look at whether it is warped but I suspect it is as i took it out and put it back carefully a few times and tried to manipulate it to where it would be flat without any joy. It is just a small gap but I can see daylight.

I may need a new one I guess - anyone know if there was a change from early models (mines a "pre facelift" 52)

I could try some vasiline - guess this is a nice non-permenant solution but I'll also grab some silica gel out of work tomorrow and out some of that in there too!

Cheers

Paddy

Paddy, I know I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but you've got to get the 2 stubby prongs into the slots fully and then make sure that the section farthest from the wire clip is aligned before you get the rest on.

I honestly can't see how that cover has warped - it'd take a massive amount of heat to do it and that sort of heat would melt the shell itself.

Cheers,

Mike

I know but I've had my fingers round the white plastic locating sleve that those prongs fit into and they're in there right plus it fits all the rest of the way round but is just bowed away from the seal slightly along the top. My guess is that someone has not fitted it quite right at some point in the past and has forced it in. I'll try the silica gel and vasiline first.....

The water crystal packets work a treat. I used to get loads of condensation in my headlights, and one little packet in each just keeps the moisture levels down. In severe temp changes (washing the car on a very cold day or cold rain on a warm day) they get a bit misty, but on the whole they are completely dry.

Where do you get the little water crystal packets from?

I've been to Tesco's and they didn't do them. I can get the water crystals by themselves but don't want them rolling around in the headlight.:confused:

I'm taken the back off the light and given that a wipe, as well as inside of the headlight itself as best as i can without taking it off.

I've left the bonnet off and the back off and left it in the direct sunlight to see if that can heats it up.

Would you suggest using a hairdryer on a low heat. I'm concerned that with us now approaching winter that the moisture will be there all through winter.
Also when i put the back cover back on is it suggested to put vasoline around the seal?

Thanks in advance

I found a load around the shoes in sainsburys and they were happy for me to take them away....

P

don't bother trying to do this with the lights in the car. it's two screws - torx30 - and then they're out. It's much easier to manipulate them there.

You can then easily see if there's something else obstructing the lid. You could quite easily take the lamps in for a while and leave them on the radiator... but the main issue is simply how much you use and relative humidity. I have big problems with this in winter when using just sidelights (because they come on with my DRLs) but at night they're fine. I don't honestly think you'll get rid of it completely. It's gone in two minutes with the headlights on - where's the issue?

Bret

Back