Misfire 04 1,6 FSI

iceraven

I have a "strange" problem with my car and the garage dont have any good ideas :(. They tell me that i can change the injectors for about 1100 £.

It startet in januray 2008. I had just washed the car and was acc normally. Suddenly the engine management light started flashing but nothing was "wrong".

This just happed once.

2-3 months later it happend again, still random.

I have a 805 vag-com and got this fault codes:

Mileage: 144560km/89825miles
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No: 036 906 013 F
Component: MED7.5.11 4628
Coding: 00051
Shop #: WSC 02138
WAUZZZ8Z44N001212 AUZ7Z0C2405534

2 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16687 - Cylinder 3: Misfire Detected
P0303 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Now i can provoke this situation whenever want.

1. If i start the car and acc "normally" up to about 2800-3300rpm the engine management light is flashing and the car is loosing power. If i change gear and acc. again nothing is wrong and the engine management light flashes for some seconds but stops. After this everything is working perfectly until i stop the car and start it again. Then its starts from the beginning. 1 second or 1 day cold/warm...its the same.

2.If i drive into a traffic jam for some minutes, i can provoke the problem by acc "normally" when the traffic jam is gone...and around 3-3500rpm the light comes back on but stops after some seconds..

After that...no problem...:confused:

I can also prevent the problem by driving under 2500 rpm for about 10-15 seconds before i acc. :rolleyes: If i do that there is no problems at all.

What i have done so fare:

1. Changed all sparkplugs.

2. Changed the coil pack on cylinder 3. There had been problems with it for some while. The car was running bad, but no problems with the coils and no engine management light. Suddenly it stopped working and the garage showed me a bad "contact" inside the coilpack. Coilpacks on 1,2 and 4 is ok (tested with new but no difference).

3. Just had service on the car. (oil, filters, etc)

4. New timing belt and water pump.

5. I run on Shell v-power ron99.

Any ideas or help would be appreciate :)

Sorry for my "bad" english..my wife is the expert and shes out shopping :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas :)

Since nobody has anything to say about this probleme i have been thinking about it and have some thoughts.

As for now i think is has something to do with the fuel pressure. And i'm going to change the fuel filter to see if that helps.

My theory is based on the fact that when i drive the car for 1 hour or 10 min and idle for about 3-4 minutes the problem comes back when i start to drive. Even if i not stop the car. If i drive "carefully" for some seconds the probleme is gone again.

The probleme is worst in the morning when its cold (higher fuelconsume).

Another point is that the problem has developed over time (6 mnds).

I also base my theory on ross-tech:

Possible Causes

* Ignition system (new sparkplugs and working coilpacks)
* Fuel injectors (i belive they are working)
* Fuel pressure
* Running out of fuel
* EVAP canister purge valve (?)
* Evaporative emission system (?)
* Low compression (not checked)
* Base engine problems (probably not)
* Controle Module damaged (probably not)

Can anyone give me some help with Evap canister purge valve and Evap emission system?? I dont even know what that is :)

I'd say try looking for a dodgy coilpack. If you know someone with VAGCOM they maybe able to idenify the offending cylinder or cylinders.

My wife's car started running very badly last week (again). Very lumpy idlying and no pull at low revs. The engine light also came on.

I had one spare (new) coilpack. I swapped it on cylinder one and turned it over with no improvement. Did this on the other two cylinders with no improvement. As sod's law would have it, changing the pack on cylinder 4 solved the problem and it's running well. Although the engine light is still on. I may need VAGCOM or possibly disconnect the batter for 15 mins to turn it off.

I'm coming to the conclusion that many of the 1.6FSI's problems are related to coilpacks. Either they fully or partially fail. I'm not sure if the problem is always diagnosable with VAGCOM. The only way to be sure is to start swapping coilpacks until you find a bad one.

Once you've fixed it, the bad news is that your next coilpack failure isn't too far away. I don't know why VAG can't sort these out. It's always a good idea to have a couple spare and keep at least one in the car.

HTH.

I can of course check that... i have a vagcom and the "coilpack" problem is not an issue as far as i know right now..i dont get any fault codes on that. In my first post there is a list of fault codes that i have right now..

I have changed coilpack 3 and 4 this year. And nr 3 was "broken" for 2-3 months before i changed it (bad contact inside, and because of that it was working/not working).

Another thing..i thought the FSI had a second fuel pump? Some kind of highpressure pump on the engine? Or am i wrong?

Another thing..i thought the FSI had a second fuel pump? Some kind of highpressure pump on the engine? Or am i wrong?
I think you'r right - there is a high pressure fuel pump which is driven off the camshaft. Its on the gearbox end of the cyl head and held in place by 3 bolts - and apart from a couple of steel high pressure fuel pipe connections, looks nothing a pump.

Cheers Spike

Is there anyway i can check the fuelpressure without taking it to the garage?

I have a vagcom..does it have some kind of plug-in or something like that?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am getting exactly the same symptoms and codes from my wife's FSI. Did anyone ever find an answer to this please? The only obvious thing I can think of is the EGR pipe, having swapped coil packs 3 and 4 around and got the same cyl 3 misfire code before and after. Any tips very much appreciated...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am getting exactly the same symptoms and codes from my wife's FSI. Did anyone ever find an answer to this please? The only obvious thing I can think of is the EGR pipe, having swapped coil packs 3 and 4 around and got the same cyl 3 misfire code before and after. Any tips very much appreciated...

Hi Simon,

Have you checked the spark plugs? The injectors on the FSI do fail so there is a good chance your issue lies there unfortunately. Running on high RON fuel is a must with the FSI really, the injectors are particularly susceptible to issues. Treating them to the best quality fuel possible helps with their longevity.

Cheers Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Simon,

Have you checked the spark plugs? The injectors on the FSI do fail so there is a good chance your issue lies there unfortunately. Running on high RON fuel is a must with the FSI really, the injectors are particularly susceptible to issues. Treating them to the best quality fuel possible helps with their longevity.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for the tip. It had some major surgery from A2 Cars last year including injector cleaning and has been on 98 Ron fuel ever since. Plugs were cleaned but not replaced so I'm happy to give it a new set if that makes any difference.

My vicarious experience from reading this site is that you can spend hundreds on bits and get nowhere so I think I'm going to book it in at the end of July for an OSS mod and engine fix if plugs don't work!

aab7cffaf1845bd7dcdf53ee604dada4.jpg
By the way: I love this tool. £13 delivered from Amazon. Lifts coil packs out in seconds!

Car now at the menders after 4 coil packs and plugs and no improvement apart from slightly better MPG.

Still no improvement, i am told the next step is to get the manifold off and check the injector. Can't afford to do that at garage labour rates so I'm going to change the injector altogether.

I know FSI manifolds are tricky but I'm going to roll my sleeves up and have a go. It can't be any worse than clutch replacement!

I will have to buy the tool and upgrade VCDS but at least I'm equipped for next time...

You can do it!
I removed mine 4 months ago and I have also replaced all fuel injectors, the HP fuel pressure sensor (G247) at the intake manifold, the
fuel pressure control valve (N276) and the intake manifold pressure sender (G71) at the same time. You must remove the manifold to replace them.
At the same time I replaced all gaskets.

Some pictures here for inspiration, start with posts from february 18th:

https://a2-freun.de/forum/forums/top...eil-am-16-fsi/

aab7cffaf1845bd7dcdf53ee604dada4.jpg
By the way: I love this tool. £13 delivered from Amazon. Lifts coil packs out in seconds!

Car now at the menders after 4 coil packs and plugs and no improvement apart from slightly better MPG.

Which make if u don't mind me asking? Iv seen an assortment of tools for removing vw coil packs..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Not in the slightest! Draper... available on Amazon.

I'm now saving up for the fuel injector tool kit for my bank holiday endeavours!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can do it!
I removed mine 4 months ago and I have also replaced all fuel injectors, the HP fuel pressure sensor (G247) at the intake manifold, the
fuel pressure control valve (N276) and the intake manifold pressure sender (G71) at the same time. You must remove the manifold to replace them.
At the same time I replaced all gaskets.

Some pictures here for inspiration, start with posts from february 18th:

https://a2-freun.de/forum/forums/top...eil-am-16-fsi/

Goodness me! That is awesome (not a word I use very much). Incredible attention to detail and all the part numbers listed: it does you great credit. I have printed the lot out (translated into English) and will speak to the ever-helpful Deutscheparts next week to order some bits.

Thank you very much for the inspiration.

Many thanks Simon.. I'll check it out .. although iv got a comprehensive tool kit .. there's always a new addition needed..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Update. Steaman's instructions are amazingly good. I had to hunt around for one or two torque settings but otherwise spot on. Managed to change injector no 3 with no screw ups and the car is now running perfectly.

I'm not sure A2 cars were ready for me to DIY the rest but their diagnosis (for which I paid) was spot on and their workmanship on the last manifold/injector removal) flawless: it all came apart perfectly.

On taking the faulty injector out it was immediately obvious what was wrong: there was fuel weeping out all over the injector tip which was why the car was misfiring - the injector had failed, which could not be predicted when they last had it to bits.

We got stuck in that difficult position where they had taken it to pieces and had the injectors cleaned but the injector had then failed (as it might after 14 years) a year later. There is no way that this could be covered under the labour warranty and I didn't have the money or time to get it back on their ramp, so an expert diagnosis and some DIY work gave us the best and most cost effective result...

I am an infrequent user of garages so in this case, paying for expert diagnosis and then doing it myself was the best result all round, but would have been much, much harder without Steaman's instructions.

I'd forgotten how much fun the FSI is to drive.

It would be good to combine the German DIY with your translations and store them on this forum. I have sent a request to the German author to get his permission.

It would be good to combine the German DIY with your translations and store them on this forum. I have sent a request to the German author to get his permission.

Maybe I should make an effort, polish the translation and add some torque settings and turn it into a PDF if you get permission...

Back