Removal of panels in dashboard

mclaine

For certain reasons I need to have access behind A/C -panel (climatronic). I've seen photo where it was accessed via opening of radio -panel.
I've audi concert system, so:
Is special tools / clips needed to get audi concert out?
Is this correct place to access A/C -panel connectors?
Does anyone have layout, what is what in connectors, I mean pin1 = +24
pin2 = ground etc..
Thanks!

concert means single-DIN radio, right? so:
- open the ashtray
- pull the lower cubby box out
- then pull the climate out. It's clipped into place.
Then you can take the radio out and with another two screws the vents.

Which pins do you want?

Bret

concert means single-DIN radio, right? so:
- open the ashtray
- pull the lower cubby box out
- then pull the climate out. It's clipped into place.
Then you can take the radio out and with another two screws the vents.

Which pins do you want?

Bret

THANKS BRETTI!

It was rather "snowy" day yesterday, wasn't it? Nice to drive to work with A2!
Thanks for tips.
By Audi Concert I mean originally installed CD-RADIO player..
The pins I want is the pins that are coming from evaporator temperature sensor (sensor G263):
00818 - Sensor for Evaporator Outlet Temperature (G263)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus
--> I want to check resistance compared to new sensor before removing whole dashboard... Hopefully it is not the case :(

ok, let me check this later, my dash is in pieces and I can take a look when I'm home.

Bret

Bret,
Did you take any photos or similar to help me finding evaporator outlet temp sensor (G263). I measured B5 and B15 from terminals behind ccu. Resistance was infinitive... So it is broken. Now I need to find it by starting to take out dash panels. Any help to get started is good...
Thanks for all forum members in advance!
ps. Cost at local audi workshop for changing this sensor is salty, salty..500 euros.

This schematic of the aircon system may help (I deleted it from the previous G263 thread). On RHD cars there is loads of air ducting in the way so access is much more difficult than it looks on here.

Cheers Spike

This schematic of the aircon system may help (I deleted it from the previous G263 thread). On RHD cars there is loads of air ducting in the way so access is much more difficult than it looks on here.

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike!
I've LHD, so seems that G263 sensor is located at the middle of dashboard in horizontal direction and vertically somewhere in height of radio. Is that correct?

that's correct, I replaced mine a while ago. It is very difficult to get to, even with the whole dashboard removed. Look over the centre console from above, you can then reach stright down with small hands. Pull the sensor out sideways, very little room around there in my RHD car, may be better in yours. Good luck!

that's correct, I replaced mine a while ago. It is very difficult to get to, even with the whole dashboard removed. Look over the centre console from above, you can then reach stright down with small hands. Pull the sensor out sideways, very little room around there in my RHD car, may be better in yours. Good luck!

I've partly now removed dashboard parts and tried my luck to see sensor before totally removing top panel of dash. I think I can see the sensor when laying in my back in driver's footwell but not sure. Does anyone have real photos of this sensor in place..? Maybe I'm lucky to get it changed without removing everything.
Thanks!
See attached photo from German A2 forum. Photo is taken from driver's footwell. I marked sensor with red arrow that I think is G263. Is it? According spike's schema aircon.pdf (few posts up from this) this could be the place.. According Elsawin cable colours should be Grey/Red and other wire green. Wires in sensor that I think is G263 in my car is white/gray and green. So colors are not the same, that is why I'm skeptic about this.

Last edited:
On RHD cars the sensor can only be removed from above. Its so cramped and with the slope of the windscreen its impossible to photograph in place.
If Humps still has the spare sensor, maybe he could photograph it for you to aid identification.

The sensor is a push fit and the end which protrudes into the air ducting is a few cms long. Could you remove the one in your photo and see if it looks the same. Certainly the position shown in your photo looks about right.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Right, trying to attach something properly... there you go. I still have mine, it is a perfectly working unit, I've checked the resistance against the temperature range specified in ElsaWin. The fault code was not correct leading me to take the dash out unnecessarily... The probe is long and goes in sideways with the bend tip pointing 'down'. Good luck, hopefully you'll have enough room.

Attachments

• SNV31825.jpg
    SNV31825.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 729
Yes, for me also the location looks correct, but skeptic because wiring colors differ what is defined at Elsawin... Could there be differences, what do you think?

Because if Elsawin is absolutely correct, then the sensor is not the G263..

Thanks for photo of sensor. Is this the only sensor in A2 that looks like that?
Can you give me resistance values for sensor G263 from Elsawin?

Mine is now (measured from pins B/15 and B/5 beind A/C -panel) 20 MOhms..

Thanks!!

did you feed elsawin exactly the correct modelyear and engine for your car?

Yes. Engine AMF and year 2002.
I can not get resistance values from Elsa...
--
Latest news: Sensor is in my hands now which I think is G263. It looks exactly like sensor in Humps' photo. Part number what is in sensor: 6Q0907543A. In Humps's photo end digits 543 are same but end letter D is different.. Do you think it is still question of same sensor without this difference in end letter? Is the beginning same, Humps?
Maybe there isn't other sensor at all like this in system so this is not worth worrying and doubts, but if there are similar looking sensors in system.. So please advice, thanks.
If Humps could also give resistance values of this ok sensor, mine is in local Audi dealer not until next wednesday. Mine shows value >2 Mohms. Can not say more accurately, because scale of my meter is only up to 2MOhms.
THANKS!!

Last edited:
Right, I've taken a few sensors out around the aircon unit, just as I have a spare G11(?) sensor which is short PCB type. To my knowledge, there is only one probe which looks like that in my pict. I think you have it.

The end digit is different because of different versions, my original one was A, the current version is D. I've tested them, I can only conclude version D changes its resistance faster and smoother but functionally, they are identical.

I don't have ElsaWin with me, so can't get you the resistance table, probably until tomorrow. But IIRC, it was not in the mega ohm range, killo-ohm was more likely. I found the temp/resistance table in ElsaWin under the A/C diagnostic section. One thing to check, when the G263 is reported faulty, your A/C compressor will operate at reduced capacity, but not completely off. If your A/C compressor is completely off, there shouldn't be temperature difference at all, by setting it to MIN vs ECON (provided outside temp is 5C+). What's your actual issue? A/C compressor not running or just VAG-COM reporting a fault?

Hi mclaine
G263 resistance values can be found on elsawin by opening the following sections -
1) Heating, ventilation, air con
2) Heating, air con system
3) 01 Self diagnosis
4) Electrical check
5) Test step 1 - 4
6) Temp dependent resistance values

Cheers Spike

Right, I've taken a few sensors out around the aircon unit, just as I have a spare G11(?) sensor which is short PCB type. To my knowledge, there is only one probe which looks like that in my pict. I think you have it.

The end digit is different because of different versions, my original one was A, the current version is D. I've tested them, I can only conclude version D changes its resistance faster and smoother but functionally, they are identical.

I don't have ElsaWin with me, so can't get you the resistance table, probably until tomorrow. But IIRC, it was not in the mega ohm range, killo-ohm was more likely. I found the temp/resistance table in ElsaWin under the A/C diagnostic section. One thing to check, when the G263 is reported faulty, your A/C compressor will operate at reduced capacity, but not completely off. If your A/C compressor is completely off, there shouldn't be temperature difference at all, by setting it to MIN vs ECON (provided outside temp is 5C+). What's your actual issue? A/C compressor not running or just VAG-COM reporting a fault?

Sounds reasonable to change version / end letter of part number when improving it... Indeed there is something to improve. Maybe one of improvements is what you mentioned! If we are now in revision D it tells that lot was wrong..

I also checked with meter that I've correct sensor. I connected other end of meter to B/15 pin behind A/C -unit and the other one to connector at sensor end to white/gray wire. There was connection! So I'm now 100% that I've removed correct one, because terminal B/15 is for sure for G263. More sure man can not be:D
You should have seen the position how I was in driver's footwell.. I almost got my shoulder out of place when trying to get this A -revision G263 out:)
With this experience I've now I can tell that wire color marks are wrong in Elsa. Colors are for B/15 gray/white and for B/5 green, not gray/red for B/15 as told in Elsa - maybe there are differences in different year models, who knows.
My actual issue is that VAG-COM reports this sensor broken. Also I've cross-checked by having logs read at local Audi -dealer. Same results. Also when I measured the pins behind A/C before this dashboard job, I noticed this same failure with big resistance. I thought that this is quite sure that sensor is broken and I want to have my A2 ready and running before summer starts here in Finland... Now it is still snow and minus degrees, but birds are starting to sing and some black spots are already visible at ground where sun can shine.

I found also resistance values from Elsa exactly from place Spike told. I'll put here some resistance values for G263 just for info if someone needs:
Temp Value (k.ohms)
30 2,19
25 2,72
20 3,40
15 4,28

I will put attached also some photos what was only needed to remove from dashboard to have sensor changed. This maybe prevents many unnecessary dash removals from LHD A2's. But as Hump said, this is not valid for RHD. Once again we have good reason for right hand side traffic, or how is it:)

I also have to say that this is ultimately best car related forum that I've been participating. It is so good that I've got used that when I leave from work, I can put question in and I can read answer when I get home. Just in time before starting to "play" with my A2. How nice isn't it :D
Thank you guys!

Last edited:
Hi mclaine
Good to hear you got a result. Luck was on your side with this problem as both Humps and I have first hand experience of replacing the G263 sensor - and even better, Humps had a spare he could photograph for reference.
Just one thing. On your last post could you change the header of the resistance value table from kilos to K.ohms It may avoid much confusion in the future.

Cheers Spike

Hi,

i have the same fault in my a2 1.4 petrol, and my audi garage asks me over 300 eur to change this sensor.

Do you think that I can change it by my self?
Is it an hard work?
I don't want to break any panel :eek:

Do you think that I can change it by my self?
Is it an hard work?
I don't want to break any panel :eek:

1. No idea, what's your level of experience with Audi or automotive panel removal? Do you have small hands (which helps)?
2. For UK A2s, yes because we needed to remove the whole dash (4hr+). For LHD, it seems much easier as you can see the posts from mclaine
3. Get a copy of ElsaWin, which should show you the location of the clips and you undo them one by one with care.

What i would say is though, are you sure the sensor is really at fault? I had the same fault code reported and the sensor was not at fault, it was the air-conditioning compressor.

Back