Cam belt /cambelt change 1.4 Tdi

thor_wulff

Hi ladies and Gents

My A2's cambelt is overdue - now at 87000 miles. I wanted to take the work on myself.

Does anybody have any experience that they can share?

Is it relativly a straight foward job?

Is there a guide here that anyone knows off?

any help/input greatly appriciated!

Hi
I changed the cambelt on my 2001 TDi and thought it was an absolute pain to do. Access to some of the bolts, particularly on the front engine mount, is very tight. Some of the allen head bolts holding the crank pulley on were partially seized and the hex recess rounded off while trying to remove them and I struggled to lock off the plunger of the hydraulic tensioner - even with the special tool. Having said all that, another club member found the job relatively straight forward - even without the special tools

See post#9 and later in the attached link for my attempt http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4538&highlight=cambelt+tensioner+water

And how to do it without special tools - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8772&highlight=cambelt+tensioner+water

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Hi

If you do take on the task of changing the timing belt. When you have got to the point where you think you have finished.

Check that everything clears, eg. pistons and valves, by turning the engine over by hand not on the key.

Best of luck,
Malcolm

I was looking at the price for a cambelt kit - around £80 incl vat and postage (not audi parts) - then getting the right tools £££? and as Spike mentioned he found it to be a pain...
I noticed Audi dealer - cant remember which one, but it was about £230-£240 for belt and tensioner change...I am a bit tempted but then again if I can save 100-150...I guess i am just worried about messing the timing up.

You can try Stoke Audi for a price on a Cambelt change. I think you would be looking around the £250-£275 mark. You can even ask your local dealer to price match if they have a policy on it. Try putting in A2 Cambelt on ebay and see what comes up :)

Hi everyone!

I am a bit confused about this belt thing.
Is "cam belt" and "timing belt" two different belts?

/Glenn from Sweden

No, a cam belt (sometimes one word too - cambelt) is exactly the same as a timing belt. One name refers to what the belt does (it keeps the timing of the engine), the other one says what parts it touches (the cams, or more correctly the sprockets on the ends of the cams).

Cheers,

Mike

Mike:
Thank you for the fast reply :)

I mind as well ask you this:
Is the "special tool" intended to make sure the engine doesn't turn and change the timing point while you change the belts and tensioners? Or does it have some other purpose?

My A2's cambelt is overdue - now at 87000 miles. I wanted to take the work on myself.

Overdue! That's a real understatement by half ;-)

There was much discussion some months ago as to when a belt should be changed, not helped by Audi who apparently over time have changed their recommendations.

The conservative view was for a TDi was 40,000 or 4 years, whichever was sooner.

Drive gently! My neighbour neglect changing the belt on is A3 and I recall it cost him about 7 grand for a new engine.

I mind as well ask you this:
Is the "special tool" intended to make sure the engine doesn't turn and change the timing point while you change the belts and tensioners? Or does it have some other purpose?

There are a few special tools required - see e.bay links in post 2 above. One of them does lock the toothed crank pulley in position

Cheers Spike

I'm not saying I disagree, but for anyone else reading I had two replacement cam belts on my A2 in 208,000 miles - and the timing was still fine after the car was written off by a Saab. I got it changed every 80,000 miles (approx. 4 years) on a 1.4 TDi 75.

I laugh in the face of your 40k! 4yrs!!!:confused:
12yrs and 99k still going (that's jinxed it)
Seriously tho, its getting done in Oct, only 3yrs after buying it at 82k with a "it was done 10k" ago verbal.
I will consider myself lucky, or that it was indeed done? either way life got in the way of money for servicing ! until now.

Can anyone help me started my car today it sounds like a thank when not accelerating got only up the road at the junction and car died on me

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Has your exhaust fallen off?
My cat was stolen from my ford Galaxy one night with exactly this sound/effect
6 cars were effected in our area! IMG_0381.JPGIMG_0383.JPG

Cut off with hydraulic cutters !!

Worth checking

Keith.

Back