Nipple on top of dashboard

Johann

I was told in this thread (http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9069) that the nipple on the top of the dashboard is a sunlight sensor...

Now what does this do? In a Mercedes this measures the direction of the sun to adjust the climate control from one side of the car to the other (even in cars that do not have separate left and right temp controls). Does the A2's do that as well?

What happens if you cover it, or obscure it by mounting your TOMTOM right over it as I do? Will my AC run hotter as it thinks it is a cloudy day? Or does it measure direction?

Last edited:
What happens if you cover it, or obscure it by mounting your TOMTOM right over it as I do?

I would think it has the same effect as driving at night - i.e. nothing. It actually annoys me that in the summer as soon as there is direct sunlight on it then the aircon blasts out cold icy air. I'm thinking of covering mine permanently next summer. Give it a try and let us know what happens.

Audi call it a 'sunlight penetration photosensor - G107' which I guess gauges the solar gain or greenhouse effect which makes the interior feel hotter than the outside air temp sensor indicates.
If you cover it up then the cabin may get a little warmer than normal on cool, sunny days - or even hot sunny days if we ever get any again.

Cheers Spike

I would think it has the same effect as driving at night - i.e. nothing. It actually annoys me that in the summer as soon as there is direct sunlight on it then the aircon blasts out cold icy air. I'm thinking of covering mine permanently next summer. Give it a try and let us know what happens.

I prefer a cooler cabin (heated seats big no-no) and compared to other non-compensating climate controlled cars I've driven, I'm particularlly fond of this feature! Each to their own I guess :) If only I also have ventillated seats like those in the B7 A4...

Yes I like this feature too - it's to counter the greenhouse effect as mentioned above - particularly useful if you have OpenSky!

Back