B30 Diesel Morrisons

Mr Angry

A2OC Donor
hi guys

it has been drawn to my attention that this new fuel B30 Diesel from morrisions is a bag of $hite! does anyone know if this stuff can be used in our diesels and if so.....why on earth are they charging the same price as normal diesel (not sure if this is true as it came from a taxi driver sat night!) if they are then 2 fingers up to morrisons! i'd rather put in red diesel that put in that crud :mad:

what is everyones view on this? and sorry if a similar post has already been started regarding this!!!!!

kind regards mr angry

Article form Audi Driver Mag

BIODIESEL WARNING

The VW group has issued a warning that B30 biodiesel, available from many Morrisons fuel stations, must not be used in any of the group's diesel engines. these engines have been developed to run on diesel oil which accords with EN590, where the proportion of biodiesel is a maximum of five per cent. the B30 fuel has a biodiesel content of 30 per cent.

It is a viable fuel BUT.....

You must have correct injectors etc - Please read the thread on the Elsbett (folk who designed the PD TDI system back in the 1970s (last oil crisis) that VW/Audi then used in late 1990s:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?p=58483

The future is LESS Dino Diesel so it would be worthwhile organising a club buy of these kits.

New VW/Audis now use Common Rail TDI which is different to our A2 TDIs.

B30 and indeed B100 IS suitable in A2 TDI engines IF (and a big IF!) it meets German Standard DIN 51616 - this Standard is a purity code NOT a Percentage blend. The EU version is EN14214.

BIO fuel is NOT cheaper than Dino Fuel - Oil is now 50 USD a barrel as opposed to the Sumer when it went to almost 150 USD /barrel.

hi guys

it has been drawn to my attention that this new fuel B30 Diesel from morrisions is a bag of $hite! does anyone know if this stuff can be used in our diesels and if so.....why on earth are they charging the same price as normal diesel (not sure if this is true as it came from a taxi driver sat night!) if they are then 2 fingers up to morrisons! i'd rather put in red diesel that put in that crud :mad:

what is everyones view on this? and sorry if a similar post has already been started regarding this!!!!!

kind regards mr angry

Nice to see you back Cameron with your usual blend of refined language:p. I never use Supermarket fuel, period - and Ada wil be treated to v power or ultimate when she is remapped :D I was advised by a friend who works at Audi never to use supermarket diesel, and this was supported by Angel Tuning who remapped my old A4. Dont know the chemistry, but it does make a difference. Cheers, and chill out to 'mr happy' for christmas :D

what's wrong with supermarket fuel?

I've done 152,000 miles, and 99% is on supermarket fuel.

The inventor of the Diesel engine [Rudolph Diesel] had envisaged diesel engines running on vegetable/peanut oil.
So I can't see what's wrong with standard supermarket fuels in general?

I take on-board your comments about the B30 stuff, but regular diesel is no problem.

bba

Some supermarket fuels are superior to normal branded stuff - if you drive petrol cars, Tesco 99 Octane is the absoute dogs danglies.

The supermarkets get their fuels from the same sources as all the other oil companies! There are not that many refineries in the UK so where else can they get it. They buy the same formula as all the rest, there is an element of marketing in this. Remember the scandal of the formula error a year or two ago. Lots of filling stations of all brands were affected, not just the supermarkets, just that Morrisons bought more that week!

I've used supermarket super unleaded for a few years now with no bad effects. Last engine light warning was over 12 months ago whereas before it was on permanently. Yes, the 99 stuff from Tesco is the dogs danglies! But Sainsbury's and ASDA stuff is perfectly good too. Not used Morrisons but it will be just the same.

Was warned by Volvo not to use bio diesel in my V70, not because its a bad fuel just that the engine is not compatible. A friend of mine is running his diesel on chip pan oil, he says it works fine but just smells like Harry Ramsden's everywhere he's been!

Having driven diesels for 22 years and @ 500,000 miles in over 25 different cars I agree with Murdo. Whilst the improvement acheived using Ultimate etc is beneficial i mostly stick to Shell, BP, Total, Esso in that order of preference. Plus at the moment around here there is no price difference between the supermarkets and the major oil brands (98.9 for Esso being the cheapest).

I work for one of the big three and Guys some of the supermarket stuff down south is imported and doesnt go anywhere near a uk refinery.
In Scotland However all fuel comes from Grangemouth owned now by Ineos(ex BP)
The difference is additives,V power is just octane boost,I know it does a good job as I used to run the Corrado on it all the time.
Supermarket fuels are just that,just fuel,no spunk in them to get octane and cetane values up,I just use Millers additive so I know there is somthing in there tidying up if I've picked up a load of Cruddy fuel,it has to be on spec to sell,Im just ensuring its better.
The main benefit of supermarket fuel is that its fresh and if close to a refinary normally still warm from the the process of making it.
Can only speak for Scotland though!
Normally all fuel comes from a close by refinary,No point in Shell taking fuel from Stanlow to Bristol when Avonmouth docks is just along the road is there?
you wont catch me paying 7p a litre more for bp,the figures just dont add up.
As for Inverness where I live,its all taken from Bp.
Asda usually Use Texaco fuel so there ya go:D

CB:cool:

I read in the handbook (p164) that the car can run on RME Fuel. Vegetable based Bio Diesel.

I dont know what the morrisons stuff is, But I would suspect it to be 30%RME 70% Standard Diesel.

So should be OK.

I had a Diesel turbo merc which ran no proble at all on new or waste veg oil, with no processing, except to remove the chips. It ran really smooth and quiet, no problems at all. I sold the car with 200k on the clock.

I remember when using bio fuels it was the rubber seals in the engine that are prone to failure, and fuel pumps. The mercs seals and fuel pump were recomended for the job. I don't know about the audi's, but suspect they are OK, or they would't be recommending RME in the handbook.

Just one final point, the new handbook for the new Polo blumotion says RME CANNOT be used!

Pd pumps run at very high pressure,I think a twin tank system would only be adivsed with a pd pump to flush tainted oil free from pump and engine.

Nice to see you back Cameron with your usual blend of refined language:p.

had to add some kind of humour to this thread murdo....and you know me i like to live life on a razor bladed edge!

im as much confused as i was before....looks like the god damn plane has crashed into the mountain on this one!!!!

so what is the difference between the 30% of this diesel and vegtable oil/ rapeseed or whatever else is a substitute for this???

will wait and see if anyones car is goosed before i decide on this.

however, red diesel does make an interesting choice :D if the ociffers dont catch you :p heh heh dislexic cops!

kind regards me

Yeah, I would claim 0% knowledge on any of this fuel debate, but will usually follow advice from people I trust. The result of which is that I dont buy discount fuel. If theres any doubt at all I would avoid a product that could potentially effect your cars performance.

Just had an email from the finance office at work, precluding the use of this Bio Diesel in our leased cars as some manufacturers are invalidating the warranty allegedly. Whats the deal with this stuff, do you need to alter the settings to use it??

Biodiesel can degrade some of the 'rubber' or 'plastic' components in the fuels system but i suspect it is more to do with manufacturers covering their butts.

Useful info from chubby, thanks.

Pd pumps run at very high pressure,I think a twin tank system would only be adivsed with a pd pump to flush tainted oil free from pump and engine.

looks like ward 24 for me :confused: why is that some people will use vegatable oil in there cars and some dont? i know this subject has been covered numerous times but does it do damage in the long term?

Murdo please sell me your car mate :p

if your in hell......keep going! :eek::mad::p

using a bad fuel can do as much damage as not changing your oil! supermarket petrol is NOT as good as a premium brand name. shell etc has more addatives in it when delivered to the forcourts and cleans your injectors, ignites better etc. most wont notice the difference though. why people use supermarket fuel to save 1p per ltr is beyound me.....

would you put adsa oil in your car? i think not... its recycled!

For anyone interested in some of the issues relating to biodiesel I have extracted some of the key info from a presentation from work. It relates to B20 biofuel used in commercial diesel engines but much will apply to our TDi's

Cheers Spike

You are probably using at least 5% Bio fuel anyway

Under the EU directive all road fuels will have some element (normally 5% blend) of bio content.

This is NOT the same as re-cycled Chip Fat WVO = Waste Veggie Oil UNLESS that waste oil is fully processed to the EN standard.

Shell Petrol will have some mixed in ethanol from Jan 2009.

As long as you don't put petrol or straight (unprocessed) Veggie Oil in your TDI all will be well.

If you want to use WVO or B100 then make sure it meets the EN standard and ideally fit Elsbett injector kit. The cost of the latter is out weighed by the UK TAX FREE 2500 litres you can make yourself each year. See: http://www.elsbett.com/gb/about-us/introduction.html

If you are a registered charity you can do the same for your fleet of vehicles.

There are also car club discounts on bio fuel eg: http://www.cambridgebiodiesel.co.uk/

Last edited:
Back