Strange noise after remap like metal tinkling

robeeeeee

Hi All,

I have recently had my 1.4 TDi 75 PS remapped.
It's been remapped from 73 BHP - 144 Torque (lbft) up to 105BHP - 207 Torque (lbft)

The improvement is astounding, the car is much more fun to drive now and relaxed driving is much easier with less gear changing etc.

However, there is an unusual noise when using the "extra" power. I can hear a fast metal tinkling, which is not very loud but very noticeable at certain RPMs. It's likely to be coming from the turbo but I'm not sure. I doubt this is normal but i thought i'd ask you guys before I speak to the tuning people to ask for their input.

I also had a Polo Dune 1.4TDi remapped on the same day and is does not make this noise.

One thought was that the moo-ing noise that the car used to make has changed but the new noise is so different I don't think this is likely. Also is still makes the mooing noise a little, just not as much.
More info on the moo-ing here:
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5783&highlight=mooing

What do you think?

Thanks,

Robbie

Slight play in the turbo bearing allowing turbine/housing contact under load and increased boost pressure?

How many miles on the engine before the remap?

You could check for play by taking the induction piping off..........................

Does the noise only appear under load?
Does it disappear as you enter the cruise?

Slight play in the turbo bearing allowing turbine/housing contact under load and increased boost pressure?

How many miles on the engine before the remap?

You could check for play by taking the induction piping off..........................

Does the noise only appear under load?
Does it disappear as you enter the cruise?

Hi maersk,
Thanks for replying,
80,000 miles before the remap. I will take the piping off as you suggest and check for play in the bearing.
The noise only happens under load, when accelerating quite hard.
If I apply full power the noise comes at a certain RPM then stops as the RPM goes higher.
Think I will need to take a detailed note of what is happening and post the results here tomorrow.
Yes it disappears when entering cruise.

Also just thought the power is not smooth. Think it comes on then drops a bit, then one again, maybe does this twice through the rev range. Wonder if this is a symptom of a worn turbo bearing? Will definitely drive it tomorrow and get an exact description of what's happening.

Hi maersk,
Thanks for replying,
80,000 miles before the remap. I will take the piping off as you suggest and check for play in the bearing.

Not sure about Audi turbos but many have 'floating' bearings which work with an oil film on each side of the bush. If you just do a static test by moving the turbo shaft up and down, the bearings can feel worn when they are not. The only way to be sure is use a dial gauge to measure free play and compare it with the turbo spec.

Cheers Spike

Not sure about Audi turbos but many have 'floating' bearings which work with an oil film on each side of the bush. If you just do a static test by moving the turbo shaft up and down, the bearings can feel worn when they are not. The only way to be sure is use a dial gauge to measure free play and compare it with the turbo spec.

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike,

Thank you, I've just ordered elsawin today. Do you think it will have instructions on checking the bearings etc? I understand the process you describe using a dial gauge, but was just wondering if elsawin contains that info?

Will post feedback from the tuning guys once i've spoken to them tomorrow.

Once again, thank you all for your help, it's much appreciated.

Thanks,
Robbie

Mind you it could also be sympathetic injector noise if the pressures have been raised.

As above.

I have to say I destest black smoke, or any smoke for that matter.............

All rise for the particulate filter and the smoke free acceleration of the diesel!

As above.

I have to say I destest black smoke, or any smoke for that matter.............

All rise for the particulate filter and the smoke free acceleration of the diesel!

Hi maersk,

What do you mean "sympathetic injector noise if the pressures have been raised"?
Do you mean the preasure may have been raised too high or it's possibly a problem with the injectors on the car?
Thanks,
Robbie

No, just the over fuelling problem if remapped.

You can hear something possibly similar (or I ccould) on firsst drive in the morning when the engine was over fueelled, a more 'tinny' injetor nooise.

Damn this bloody keyboard....................................its a Pavillion dv8000 and the keyboards have a mind of their own apparently................

Hi maersk,

If your Pavillion dv8000 is out of warranty then you could try this:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=62011
I did something simlar to sucessfully fix an acer laptop.

Did you have an overfueling problem after a remap? If so how was is resolved?
There was always some smoke while accelerating hard, which was only really noticalbe at night when looking in the rear view mirrors at the car behind shining it's lights on my car.

Thanks,
Robbie

Just been out in the car (don't drive it much as a friend uses it for work) and noticed loads of black smoke on fairly hard and hard acceleration. The "tinkling" sound is not constantly very noticeable although the black smoke is. I know you normally notice smoke at night as I mentioned before but this is really not normal. We compared it to the 1.4 TDi Polo dune that we had remapped at the same time and it does not make the "tinkling" noise or smoke much at all on hard acceleration. I drove the Polo behind the A2 and when the A2 accelerated hard I could not see the number plate clearly. Also the smoke continues for longer than I expected it to.
The smoke does clear with constant revs though.
I think it's clear that there is a problem with the remap. Have booked the car in for later in the week with the tuning people who have been helpful and seem to have a good attitude.
The A2 does seem more powerful than the Polo as you would expect, hopefully the remap can be sorted to lessen the amount of smoke and still keep most of the current power.
Any thoughts? Do you think this could cause damage even in the short term?

Thanks,
Robbie

Thanks for the link - been there already - surgery is schedued for tomorrow..........................................................................

The Polo engine, although a 1.4 PD unit, is quite different to the A2 TDI75 motor; what stats was the Polo reading at the end of the remap?

If you had a full service carried out this may not include the air filter - check it's been done.

You could also be blowing out a build-up of poop...

Polo was 102 bhp after remap, don't know if that was at the wheels and it wasn't on a rolling road.

I carried out the service myself and changed the air filter.

Think it should have had time to blow out poop in the 100+ miles since the remap. Just had the EGR valve and inlet manifold flap changed because I left a fault on them for 2 years as I was told it's not important. Now I think all faults are important enough to be fixed.

I'd say it's over-fuelling as a result of the re-map chasing the final few bhp. My remap barely smokes at all. Take it back and ask them to scan for any fault codes, and wind in the fuelling a tad.

Back