Knocking noise from wheel

keez

I have started to notice now I'm getting a horrible knocking noise that seems to be coming from the front left wheel when steering left at low speeds.

I then performed another test and dry steered full lock to the left and the knocking still occured.

Doesn't sound too healthy, is this a typical symptom of a known fault?

Hi keez
Its possible the anti rollbar bushes are worn. In severe cases the rollbar can move sideways and bang off the subframe.

Cheers Spike

spike,

If the ARB were to be pushed back in place and then secured with a jubilee clip, could this provide a temporary fix until a polo bush were fitted?

Thanks again.

Andy

Sorry this should have read:

If the hard plastic ARB bush, which has slipped were to be pushed back in place and then secured with a jubilee clip, could this provide a temporary fix until a polo bush were fitted?

Thanks again.

Andy

Hi Andy
As a temporary fix, a jubilee clip on each side of the roll bar should act as a stop against the plastic bush and prevent the bar moving sideways.
Note that with the plastic sleeves removed and Polo bushes fitted, the grip of the bushes on the roll bar is the only thing preventing the bar moving sideways. Some members have found this totally satisfactory while other have added split collars or clips to stop the movement when the bushes wear.

Cheers Spike

arb bushes plus questions

hi
i got some polo bushes and they dont fit as i now suspect i have to cut off the hard plastic sleeve around the arb where the original bushes were. Am i correct?
Also when you have knocking noises etc how can you find out if it arb bushes or some other suspension component such as the link rods regardsPaul

hi
i got some polo bushes and they dont fit as i now suspect i have to cut off the hard plastic sleeve around the arb where the original bushes were. Am i correct?

Yes - you need to remove the plastic sleeves

Also when you have knocking noises etc how can you find out if it arb bushes or some other suspension component such as the link rods

The tie rods usually make more of a rattling noise. Remove each tie rod and check the ball joints for free play. The tapered shaft on each joint should be quite stiff to move if its in good condition

regardsPaul

See comments above

Cheers Spike

Back