My A2 is a hairdryer. Help!

My A2 1.4TDI drove like a hairdryer this morning! No power at all. In the end it did manage to get to 60mph, but it really wasn't right. I stopped after about 15 miles, dropped my daughter off at school. When I got back in the car - it was fine - accelerating as it should. Has anyone else had the same problem? Someone suggested it could be the turbo, and someone else thought it could be the fuel filter. I'd welcome any ideas or suggestions :)

My A2 1.4TDI drove like a hairdryer this morning! No power at all. In the end it did manage to get to 60mph, but it really wasn't right. I stopped after about 15 miles, dropped my daughter off at school. When I got back in the car - it was fine - accelerating as it should. Has anyone else had the same problem? Someone suggested it could be the turbo, and someone else thought it could be the fuel filter. I'd welcome any ideas or suggestions :)

Scan it (Vag Com), proberbly went into limp mode or the like for one reason or another. Scanning it with Van com should reveal what the problem was.

Regards
SARGE

Is is sounding like a hairdryer as well as driving like one? If so I'd suspect an air leak in the intake system - probably a hose has split or popped off - all the compressed air the turbo generates is just blowing out to atmosphere rather than finding its way into the engine!

I'd agree with dan b regarding the intake system air leak. If there is nothing wrong with the hoses, check for a split aftercooler core.

Cheers Spike

Hairdryer

Thanks for your comments. It doesn't sound any different, it just didn't have any oomf - even at say 3000 revs. I've also emailed my Audi dealer - not had a response yet - I'll let you know! I hope it isn't the turbo - that would be expensive!

It could be fuel filter when was it last changed?, if it had no power then after you had stopped it was ok, you could have picked something up but after stopping released it and now its ok

Cheers Phil

My intercooler is now leaking air. I could hear it today with the window down a little. Like a hissing noise under acceleration. I just hope it lasts until monday when I get the new one fitted.

The odd thing is though, although the performance is slightly down, it has not yet gone into limp mode. It did this twice about 18 months ago, but after changing the air/oil and fuel filter it was fine.

How come I am leaking boost pressure but not getting limp mode kicking in? Is the turbo maintaining the pressure that the system needs, ie, over-boosting to compensate? Will this damage the turbo? It's being repaired on Monday so hopefully it wont be much longer anyway.

Cheers,

Lee

@Lee- you're quite right, the leak is probably not significant enough yet for the ECU to complain that it is losing so much boost it can't claw enough back by overboosting and so therefore should go into limphome. But that's not to say the leak isn't harming performance, it will be, but the ECU is adapting within it's "safe parameters". Limphome is really for when the engine is performing so drastically badly (off map) the ECU thinks there's a real risk of motor damage so it winds it all in until you can run a dignostic.

reset

Thanks for your comments. I've booked it to be plugged into the Audi diagnostic computer. It did it again this morning. I turned the engine off, and immediately back on again (without stopping:eek:) and it immediately fixed the problem. It is obviously something that is reset by the internal computer when the car is turned off. Audi will no doubt give me the root cause of the problem. It isn't until next week, but I'll let you know the diagnosis!

Isn't there a local member with Vag Com that can scan it for you, without you being at the mercy of the stealership?

SARGE

Yes, limphome mode can be reset by "rebooting" the car, but that doesn't mean it's cured the underlying problem.

Do get it scanned for error codes, but my money is still on an airleak ;)

Turbo

The computer says it was the turbo. Aparently the pins that allow the vanes to expand as you ask for more power work abit loose. This allows the vanes to touch the sides of the turbo, which causes the computer to shut it down and go into limp mode! I've only managed to cause it to do this twice, so I'm going to leave it for the moment. New turbos are very expensive!

Are you saying it's the variable geometry of the turbo vanes that is causing the fault?

If so, I think you may be on the wrong track, as your profile says you have a TDi 75 SE, which has a fixed vane turbo.

Cheers,

Mike

Are you saying it's the variable geometry of the turbo vanes that is causing the fault?

If so, I think you may be on the wrong track, as your profile says you have a TDi 75 SE, which has a fixed vane turbo.

Cheers,

Mike

I thought that I had read somewhere that later TDI 75's had a variable vane turbo Mike?

Darren

@Wizard - it sounds like you've pulled the fault codes from the ECU - could you post the codes/errors on this thread, it will help us get further into the problem I think.

I'm with Skipton, I don't think your car should even have the variable vane turbo, there's something not right in that explanation. Perhaps it's a blown/leaking wastegate?

Could be the Airflow sensor as well :rolleyes:. Without the proper diagnostic codes..... Not easy to guess.

Ltr, Didier

Variable Vane Turbo

The 1.2 TDi and I believe the 90hp 1.4 TDI have variable vane tech turbos.

Just like a chimney the exhaust particles build up on these vanes and so they need a good sweep!

The problem is lots of short journeys and/or poor fuels.

Once the particles have built up the vanes get stuck and the computer senses a problem and shuts you into get home mode.

Remove turbo and clean out the exhaust side internals with a toothbrush. Keep the oil ways clean!

Refit and hey presto!

If not take it to an Audi dealer and they will charge around £900 for new turbo.

Better still get a re-con unit from: http://www.turboactive.com/

After much research, I found them to be the best service and value.

Back