Fuel tank size

TDi Si

Guys,

Did a search but had no joy. What years had the smaller tank and which had the larger tank?

Is this the same for petrol and TDi models?

Cheers,

S

As a basic rule of thumb, pre-2002 models have the smaller tank and post 2002 have the larger one.

CHeers,

Mike

And the tank sizes are...

Do I remember it correctly that someone has fitted an even larger tank to their A2 to increase range even more?

3l 21l, 34 on request
pre 2003 34l
FSI always 42l
after 2003 (so Aug 2003 onwards) 42l

the biggest tank is a 42 on a 3l, giving a 1400km range.

OoI, the only real difference between a 34 and a 42 - well, there are two. One is the exhaust; it is straighter on a 34.
The tank sender on a 42 also works differently; the resistance of the sender goes the other way (down, not up if I remember right) as the tank empties. Having said that, the pump is the same.

Bret

Last edited:
My A2 TDi is a 53 plate. I got to '0 miles' on the DIS last night. Took it to the garage and "brimmed" the tank with 37 litres. Which fuel tank does that mean I have then? Does that mean that I hit zero with five litres of diesel left in the tank? Or does it mean that the neck of the tank holds three litres? Enquiring minds want to know!

I can't answer your question, but here's my experience :

I have the 42L tank (2003 MY) but I've managed several time to fill more than 42L in. But that takes a lot of time !
When the filler pump stops, I can still pour at least another 5-6 liters.

I've reached once "0 km" on the DIS, and I drove another couple of kilometers after that, without running out of gas ; I don't know how far from 100% empty that was, but I don't want to try !
However, I doubt that there were 5 liters left. That's a strange story...

My guess is the capacity of my tank is about 44L

03 TDI here, and usually can squeeze about 35litres in after the low fuel warning. About 38 is the max we've put in so far with the needle planted on empty 0\

You should have the 42 litre tank since it's an '03. On my '02, once the pump clicks off for the first time, I can still get another gallon in by venting & brimming (only ever do this on TDIs, never on a petrol).

You should have the 42 litre tank since it's an '03. On my '02, once the pump clicks off for the first time, I can still get another gallon in by venting & brimming (only ever do this on TDIs, never on a petrol).

How do you vent Mike? I have the earlier small tank and it gets quite tedious filling the tank frequently. I've heard there's a switch or the like on the inside of the fuel filler, bit cannot find it.

How do you vent Mike? I have the earlier small tank and it gets quite tedious filling the tank frequently. I've heard there's a switch or the like on the inside of the fuel filler, bit cannot find it.

Just to right of the cylinder opening where you stick in the fuelhandle, there should be a little black tip looking very much like a "clit" ️, you can push this forward and with that you can at times fill up another 2-4liters. I use it sometimes when I want those extra liters for long journeys but I think it is not something one should use all the time as I believe that the tip work like as a self adjusting airpressure system so one can start the car if you run dry in diesel and need to refuel.

If you own a petrol car you must absolutely never do vent and brim though as it's there for anti-explosion reasons!

Just to right of the cylinder opening where you stick in the fuelhandle, there should be a little black tip looking very much like a "clit" ️, you can push this forward and with that you can at times fill up another 2-4liters. I use it sometimes when I want those extra liters for long journeys but I think it is not something one should use all the time as I believe that the tip work like as a self adjusting airpressure system so one can start the car if you run dry in diesel and need to refuel.

Maybe I'll ask the wife to show me where it is. I'll be damned if I can find that thing!!!

I've found it!:eek:

So once 'full' you keep this pressed as you continue to fill up?

Wish I'd figured this out before driving to France and back the other week.

Basically yes. When you fill up and the pump clicks as saying "full", if you then depress that switch for a few seconds, you'll hear a faint sound of of bubbling, and then if you start pumping again, you'll be able to get another 1-2 litres in. Press it again for a few more seconds and another 1-2 litres will go in. I've never done more than 4 litres of V&B but I reckon it's possible to do even more if one was so inclined.

Again, this is definitely not safe or recommends for petrol cars. The space is needed for vapour expansion.

Has anyone changed fuel tanks over to fit the 42 litre version?

I have an A2 3L and the 21 litre tank is - to me - a little pointless!

I'd be interested in putting in a 42 litre tank.

MG

Back