Help tdi temperature sensor wiring connector

My replacement green coolant temperature sender 4 pin vw audi pt 059 919 501 A does not fit the male electrical connector on my 2001 1.4 TDI (the existing black sensor also has a D connection, but it is smaller).

This is clearly a case where size matters.

Is there an adaptor available to connect the wiring or will I need to replace the wiring connector also?

As many folk will know, this is a common malfunction with all eary vw/audis the temperature guage gives random readings 0-90 degrees, in contrast to the proper gauge reading that sits rock steady on 90C once warmed up. The replacement green part 059 919 501 A is an improved version recommended by vw/audi. My original part has 269415 06-01 on it and my Audi dealership confirm that 059 919 501 A is the correct replacement, but have no knowledge of how to overcome the wiring incompatibility. They will take it into their workshop to investigate but their part is £30 and the same part from ebay was £10 and I don't want to pay their labour, particularly as they don't seem to sure what they are doing.

Grateful for any advice

Pete

Update

Based on advice on other posts, I went for sensor replacement 1st.

I had a black 2 pin sensor (269415 06-01) and following a lot of searching and 3 visits to Audi dealer worked out that the listed replacement part 059 919 501A (4pin) is an upgrade. This wouldn't fit straight on however owing to incompatible 2 existing connector 1J0 973 702. After a lot of hassle, I worked out you also need new connector 4B0 973 712 and wire 000 979 131 plus shrink wrap. You cut off the old connector and use the wire to solder connect. I connected the other to pins numbered 1 (white/grey wire) & 2 (green/grey wire) on the 4 pin connector. Hope this helps anyone on the same route.

However! … on testing, the gauge still sometimes reads 90 sometimes 60 and readings in between at random. :(

I am now therefore considering replacing the thermostat as it seems both items give the same symptoms when they play up.

Back