Removing tailgate exterior trim?

ben

Administrator
Ukraine
Hi,

I need to replace one of my rear numberplate lamp units (not just the bulb - as the lamp cover retaining screw had rusted off internally) - but am having difficulty removing the rear tailgate exterior trim.

I've followed the usual guide notes:

- Remove tailgate (interior) trim - this was hard work prising the clips off

- Remove rear number plate (one of my bolt sockets was missing an inner thread - so the plastic bolt shear off when removing it. I'm going to tap it tomorrow and get a replacement plastic bolt).

- Unplug connectors for microswitches and number plate lighting

- Remove small retaining torx screws

This is as far as I can get. The next step says:

- Tilt the trim slightly rearwards and pull it upwards out of the vehicle.

I have no idea if this refers to the top or bottom edge of the trim (see attached image). The top of the trim has some delicate lugs that wrap underneath the rear window edges. The bottom of the trim feels pretty solidly attached. I daren't put too much stress on it.

Has anyone successfully managed to remove this without damage?

Failing this - any bright ideas on how to remove a sheared off self-tapping screw in one of the number plate lamps? I tried a fine Dremel drill - but the bit just slips into the surrounding plastic.

I've got some nicely sized stainless steel self-tappers to replace the originals for when I reassemble it all.

Ben

PS I've read:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8495

But it scares me...

Last edited:
Will watch this as i've got the same trouble, didn't realise all that came off in one go thought it was just the handle that came off

Cheers Phil

Hi Ben,

DarrenC did this last year and you just have to be a little more forceful than you might think.

Drop him a PM and I'm sure he'll sort you out.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Ben,

I had exactly the same issue with Di's A2 when trying to replace an original rusty number plate light screw.

I successfully managed the process, (thankfully with some wise words from Mike), though it isn't for the faint hearted - assuming that this is the first time that the tail gate trim is being removed.

You are very much on the right lines; the trim is clipped in place and once released is tilted outwards at the bottom and then pulled downwards. It is an extremely tight fixing to remove and after prising at it for 15-20 minutes with my bare hands, I eventually resorted to taping up a screwdriver to release the first of the clips at the bottom which then allowed me to pull the rest free by hand.

I remember that it feels like something will break, but thankfully in my case all ended well. A touch more force than you might think, (coupled with a taped screwdriver or similar to release the first clip - CAREFULLY), is possibly the solution.

Good luck,

Darren

You are very much on the right lines; the trim is clipped in place and once released is tilted outwards at the bottom and then pulled downwards. It is an extremely tight fixing to remove and after prising at it for 15-20 minutes with my bare hands, I eventually resorted to taping up a screwdriver to release the first of the clips at the bottom which then allowed me to pull the rest free by hand.

Thanks Darren & Team A2OC.

Just to confirm - I can see 3 clips when looking inside the tailgate frame. One in the middle and the other 2 at each end. I can reach the middle one with my hand - is this what you are referring to when you got your screwdriver out - or did you attack the clips from the outside?

Cheers,

Ben.

Separate the panel from the outside Ben - get your flat implement (!) in between the plate holder and the metal of the main tailgate and prise.

Start at one end and then once the first is free, you'll be able to get your hand in to free the other two.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Darren & Team A2OC.

Just to confirm - I can see 3 clips when looking inside the tailgate frame. One in the middle and the other 2 at each end. I can reach the middle one with my hand - is this what you are referring to when you got your screwdriver out - or did you attack the clips from the outside?

Cheers,

Ben.

If I recollect correctly Ben, I prised the off side right clip first with the screwdriver and then worked my way right to left unclipping the rest with my hands. I am fairly certain that I edged the screwdriver in from the bottom of the tail gate, sufficiently to prise the clip loose, but no more. With the off side right clip partially released I was able to get my hand in and unclip the remainder with ease.

Sorry I can't be more specific; shame we aren't closer to each other. Courage is essential though, in a similar vain to the interior cubby hole removal.

Darren

Success

Finally managed to get it off without breaking anything. Once off I realised that it could have been released by squeezing the plastic clips along the top edge of the trim inside the tailgate subframe - this would have released the tight grip they have at the top, and allow the rest of it to cleanly come off without any force.

Note that I removed the plastic sheaths from these clips and pushed them back into the subframe prior to reassembly - this made it much easier to clip the panel back on.

Anyway - thanks for the encouragement. I've got new M6 stainless steel screws holding my Dubmeister plate surround on now - and stainless steel screws holding the new lens on - with a touch of WD40 for good measure.

Pictures below.

just finished changing the light and thanks darren took your advice, completely forgot about the two yellow fixings which need to be removed as well as 4 plastic plugs. the two retaining yellow fixings then need to be secured ono the tailgate before you can push fit the 4 plugs back into position.

off to b and q to buy some stainless steel screws.

I have a little dilemma...

When changing one of this silly number plate light units I've managed to break all three clips that hold the lower edge of the exterior boot panel on.

Has anyone else done this, how do you replace them, they look bonded onto the panel. Are these even available?

Also, my exterior panel is now only attached by the top edge plastic clips and flaps about when I shut the boot. I'm a little concerned about losing this panel when driving about.

Has anyone else been this ham fisted and what did you do to fix it?

To make things worse, there was nothing wrong with the lamp apart from rusted screws, it was the connector :$

Hi stuebydoo
Hi did you manage to fix this issue as I have a slight problem with mine as one has gone out but because it wasn't changed since rolling off production line the rusty screws have just deteriorated to a hole and after reading what you have done I'm fearing the same result if I force it

Hi, not fixed it yet, its has a temporary fix. You could if you were that way inclined attach the panel using numberplate double sided sticky pads, and it would do a reasonable job.

Looking at the design of the panel, you can also use the original numberplate mounting bolts which would sandwich the panel and hold it securely.

Im going to attempt to plastic weld the clips back on, hopefully that will be ok. Looking at the shape of them, I think the idea is to pull the panel down towards the ground, and out. I used trim removal pliers, and ended up snapping them, because that's not how they should be removed, theyre more like hooks in the way they hold the panel on. I'll take some photos when I fix it properly and stick them up here for anyone who might need them.

Spike,

I am trying to replace the numberplate light units but encountered a major problem - two rusty screws.

Do you know how to remove the two internal rusted screws holding the tailgate panel.
I have removed the registration number plastic screws but cannot remove the two screws in order to remove the external panel
so that I can change both numberplate light units.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3052&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1341748322

Mackinder

Request for pictures of panel retaining clips

Hi Ben,

I had exactly the same issue with Di's A2 when trying to replace an original rusty number plate light screw.

I successfully managed the process, (thankfully with some wise words from Mike), though it isn't for the faint hearted - assuming that this is the first time that the tail gate trim is being removed.

I remember that it feels like something will break, but thankfully in my case all ended well. A touch more force than you might think, (coupled with a taped screwdriver or similar to release the first clip - CAREFULLY), is possibly the solution.

Good luck,

Darren
Has anyone got a photo of these trim clips at the bottom of the removable panel they can post on here? Ideally it would be good to see a picture of the part of the clip that is on the removable panel AND the part of the clip on the hatch it engages with. Is there any possibility of easing the clips open from inside the tailgate cavity with a long rod of plastic or wood or even a rod of metal if used with care, whilst a helper gently pulls the bottom of the removable panel outwards? Also looking at the inside of the rear hatch cavity there appears to be some minature plastic 'condoms' that presumably locate the top mounting spigots of the removable panel. Do these need to be squeezed to release the spigots or will the spigots just pull out of these 'condoms' when the lower clips have been released and the two awkward screws have been released? Why didn't Audi fit hex head self tappers or cap head self tappers given the awkward location of the two tailgate panel retaining screws? Incidentally does anyone know if cap head stainless self tappers exist? I can't find any on eBay?

As they say a picture paints a thousand words and a video even more (I made that last bit up...)

With rusty rounded-off screws in the number plate lights a common problem and knowing that describing processes can sometimes be hit and miss, I thought I'd share this video from our European colleague so that it might help generate a better understanding of what is involved.

Thread resurrection complete.

Cheers,

Darren

Last edited:
Back