Blower won't de-mist all windows

andyd

Please help.

I finally managed to buy an A2 1.4 petrol with open sky roof (no aircon) today after six months searching, researching and idolising this elegant little pugnose tardis.And whilst on the test drive the blower seemed not to fully de-mist either the windscreen and side windows on setting 4 with 3 on board. The trade seller assured me that all was okay, but the same happened during again this during my drive home (alone cats and dogs outside). The heater seems to heat up nicely, but the blower is very week, even on full. Could this be a inlet/ outlet filter issue, or is it something more sinister?

Please help and thanks for and pearls of wisdom in advance.

Regards andyd

Hi Andyd, welcome to the A2oc
On cars without aircon there is a series resistor on the blower motor for fans speed control (I think) If the blower is not running at full speed on the max setting then the resistor could be faulty. Removal of the glovebox is required for access
Try and get a diagnostic scan as this may pinpoint any faults with the N24 resistor etc

There is a pollen filter for air entering the cabin and it may be worth changing it but I can't see this being the main problem.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Yes, I concur with David - it is amazing how much crap can gather in the filter and flow rates can be severely reduced because of this.

If your fan can produce all the different speeds with the dial, then the multi-stage resistor that controls the fan rate is fine.

There could feasibly be a flow flap failure - these are often flagged up on diagnostic scans, but cycling of the flaps usually frees them up.

Try a new filter first (I did a How To.... recently) and take it from there.

Cheers

Mike

Thank you guys-Cant find relevent (how to articcle)

Thank you guys,
for your quick and helpful answers.
And mike i'll check out your how to column ASAP.
....Seconds later-Can't seem to find it. Struggling with navigation.

Should I do this myself (is it a tricky or costly job), do you think, or take it back
to the garage, as I only bought the car this morning?

Best Regards
Andy

PS. Thanks for making me feel welcome so soon..

Thanks once again Mike,

I will order a charcoal pollen filter later.

AndyD

PS. The enthusism of of the A2oc members reminds me of when I used be a Morris Minor owner and the help and advice I used to receive. I guess there must be something really special about the car!

Thanks once again Mike,

I will order a charcoal pollen filter later.

AndyD

PS. The enthusism of of the A2oc members reminds me of when I used be a Morris Minor owner and the help and advice I used to receive. I guess there must be something really special about the car!

Nope just the poeple that drive them that make the special

Dave,

If that is true then I guess that the A2oc socials might be quite something.
Shame that I live in ROI though. Are there other irish members out there.
Perhaps we could organise some-probably very small rallys over here?

Regards

Andy

No filter there?

Dear all,

All followed Mike's how to guide and removed the black plastic retainer.
A load a seeds-plant debris were dislodged and fell at this point.
Above was a slot with a strip of filter felt over. Was not able to dislodge either.
They seemed to be fixed items. Not the filter cartridge which you mentioned.
The blower turned on a hurricane like blast was apparent. However when I replaced the black plastic retainer-only a variable trickle of air (on max setting 4) came out from the various air vents, on each of teh four settings.
Do you have any idea where the blockage might lie
Is the filter missing or it the fixed open slot element strip with a srip of filter felt over.
Thank you for any more pearls of wisdom-common sense- in advance.

Andy

Followed Mike's How to guide today- Removed black plastic retainer- varios pollen type debris fell out but couldn't see filter. Above was fixture with slot and felt/filter material behind. As I couldn't remove this I felt that perhaps this was a permanent part of the ventilation system. I turned on the blower and a gail blew to varying degrees out through the gap left be the retainer, according to the number on the switch. The gail subsided unfortunately to a breeze as soon as I re-fixed the retainer-thus sealing the filter unit hole. Still not sufficient to de-mist the windows.
Is this some other kind of issue or is it just my lack of kop-on?

Please help (once again) !!!

Andy

Dig me out of this one and i'll promise to get an A2 with ACON in the afterlife-
or do they also have issues?

Hi Andy
The corrugated pollen filter element is held in a black plastic frame. Its quite tight but this can be pulled down once the clips are slid to the centre position and the filter cover is removed. The filter frame only goes back one way so take note before removing it completely.
The good news is the blower fan is working correctly
Let us know which part of the country you'r from as another club member may be able to help if you are still struggling

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike,

But dont see the corrugated pollen filter element, which you mention,
when I remove the black retainer clip, just what appears to be a permanent
black plastic fitting with a slot and felt filter pad above.

Please advise further if pos.

Andy

I live in Dublin unfortunately-so I perhaps one of the other members in Ireland might be able to help?

Hi guys

Am doing this again - did it last year and have found an additional problem to the original one I though I had.

1. The full black plastic frame does not come out, only the bottom piece with the two clips on it. I don;t think this will be a problem as I can still re-insert the new filter and secure it. But it does give rise to problem #2 which is............

As I was saying.....:rolleyes:

2. Which way is the airflow? I assume that the full frame has arrows on it that the bottom piece does not. Does it flow left to right or right to left as you're sat in the car looking forward?

cheers

Simon

Bump!

Anyone know the direction of airflow through the pollen filter compartment? Left to right or right to left?

Many thanks.........

Simon

I can't remember from when I did it I'm afraid - but I think it's shown on the fitting guide?

Back