Boot Lid Panel Removal

Lee S

Hi All.

I am in the middle of removing the exterior rear boot lid panel to replace the rear number plate lights and I have got as far as breaking the old light lens screws off in the housings. They were WELL rusted. Fortunately I have already got hold of some new light housings and lenses (just need to get some nice LED bulbs now). I have got the internal trim off too but what I need to know is do I have to take off the number plate? It is stuck (not screwed) to an original black plastic dealer surround. Is this surround screwed to the plastic panel under the number plate or through the panel onto the metal boot lid itself? I will probably need to buy a new number plate if it does need to come off.

Also what do the two small torx screws either side of the boot release switch go into, as they are quite rusty too. Are they likely to shear off or damage anything when I try and remove them? I will be soaking them in plenty of WD40 before I attempt to get them off.

Thanks for any help/advice....

Last edited:
Cheers Spike.

I did actually read all of the threads on this subject this evening (including the one above), but none of them mention if the removal of the number-plate is essential. I think it was Ben that took his off, but stated that it was screwed on. Mine is stuck on with double sided tabs. Is the original dealer surround held on with screws behind the number plate (and through the plastic trim into the metal) or is that stuck on too? Also no-one seems to have mentioned those two little screws either side of the release switch being badly corroded. I hope they don't break off too.

I will probably buy another number plate tomorrow and see if I can get it all finished before tomorrow evening. I need the car for the weekend's camping trip, so don't want to be without the lights or a number plate.

Thanks for the pointers though. A picture says a thousand words. :D

Cheers,

Hi Lee, If you need to remove the stuck on number plate, it will help if you heat it up (the plate itself) with a hairdryer this way less chance of it snapping off, pulling of the paint from car and leaving less residue.

Cheers

SARGE

Thanks Sarge, but the number plate is actually stuck onto a surround and I have the feeling that the surround is screwed through the tailgate trim into the tailgate, so no danger of damaging anything other than the plate itself. I will stop by Halfords on the way home and pick up some new double sided tabs and a new rear number plate. I don't have electrical supply for hot air where my car is parked and I live in a flat, so I will just have to rip the old one off and if it comes off without damage, I have a spare. :rolleyes:

I have removed the two little rusty screws using a bit of 3-in-1 and perseverance so all that is left is to remove the number plate and the panel, replace the lights and re-assemble. :cool: I will also stop by B&Q and get some stainless fasteners on the way home too.

Have also ordered some "Cool White" 5W 37mm LED lamps to replace the normal ones with. Will fit them tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Last edited:
I managed to prise back the original number plate and just broke the double sided sticky tab enough to see behind the plate without damaging it and the dealer surround is ALSO stuck to the boot with double sided sticky tabs. Cool. Don't have to take the number plate off then. :D

I may also have found a dead easy way of separating the two panels. I removed the two little rusty screws, disconnected all the cables and was ready to go (others may have to remove the number plates). What I did next was reckless and silly, but it worked. I took a large, broad, flat bladed screwdriver ( I guess you could use a wooden or plastic implement too) and placed it on the very edge of the plastic tailgate panel at the top corner, behind the wrap around moulding. There is a flat portion there that would never be seen even if it was damaged. With the blade of the driver on this flat area, I gave the handle of the screwdriver a good whack with the palm of my hand and off it popped. Same the other side and it all literally came off in my hands with NO damage at all. Took me literally 30 seconds. The clips were intact and everything went back together just fine after I replaced the light units. Easy-peasy.

New lights fitted, everything back together, no squeaks or rattles and just waiting for the LED bulbs now. Already looks better with nice new clear bulbs and lenses.

Just put a new 1mm double sided tab on the back of the plate and the job's a good-un.

Thanks for the replies.

Back