Service indicator dropping fast - wrong oil?

Dev

A2OC Donor
Hi all,

my 1.4 TDI had its fourth variable/long-life service at about 102k miles in March this year, and I think the mechanic might have put in the wrong oil.

I've had the car from new, 8 years ago this March, and I've only needed these services carried out at two year intervals. I do about 12500 miles per year, and I don't use the loud pedal much, so the service indicator usually gets up to 30k a short while after each service and gradually creeps down from there. Normally I have about 8k left after the 2 years. Not this time. It got up to about 29k and now, about 3500 miles later, it's down at 22k. :(

I've not turned into a boy racer, so what's up? Could they have reset the service indicator incorrectly, put in the wrong oil, or is there something else I haven't thought of?

Thanks for your help,

Dev

Hi Dev
There are no sensors on the engine which can tell which oil has been used and if the indicator was accidently set to the standard service interval it would count down from 9300 miles. The only explaination I could guess at would be the engine has been running hotter than normal due to the unusually warm weather recently.

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike,

thanks for replying. I was sure I read something somewhere about an oil condition sensor. I guess I was mistaken.

I haven't seen any higher temperatures than usual. The temperature gauge goes up to 90 and sticks there like glue. Admittedly it's the water temperature, so the cylinders might be running a bit hotter, but I really can't see it making that much difference. For example, fuel consumption is as low as ever. Anyone else got any ideas?

Cheers,

Dev

Long life oil 50400 / 50700

VW engines suitable for long life service intervals have a sump sensor fitted that measures the quality of the engine oil. I also think I remember an article in Audi Driver Magazine stating that engine oils suitable for VW variable service intervals (VW 504 00 / 507 00) have a chemical marker that is depleted with time and temperature. This is how the sump oil sensor determines the quality of the oil and hence the service interval. If standard oil is used the service intervals will be reduced. Topping up with other oils will also reduce the service interval.

audia23l

You most certainly do have an oil status sensor, but as audia23l said before, it could be that they used the standard service interval oil that's causing the miles to drop so fast.

A big difference of opinion here but I'm still on the page that our engines just have an oil level sensor and NOT a condition sensor. The engine ECU monitors engine duty cycle and load factor using input from the various temp sensors and fuelling rates and this is the info used to determine the oil change periods.
I try to be tasteful in mu selection of words.....as I often have to eat them. Would be happy to do so again if anyone can find anything documented on oil condition sensors used in A2's

Cheers Spike

I try to be tasteful in mu selection of words.....as I often have to eat them. Would be happy to do so again if anyone can find anything documented on oil condition sensors used in A2's

Hear here Spike. :D I bet youre bang on the money with your advice as well.

Cheers, M

There's only one way to find out - fiiiiiight! :)

I've not been able to find any direct info about an oil condition sensor in the A2. However, I did find this:

Non Long Life Vehicles - Pre 2003 / Pre CAN

Pre 2003 VAG vehicle platforms only use “Fixed Service Intervals” that are established by programming the interval into the dashboard ECU. These parameters control the display of warnings for:

• Oil Service after a fixed distance (e.g. 10,000 miles)
• Service 1 - either fixed distance or fixed time, whichever comes first (e.g. 15,000 miles or 12 months)
• Service 2 - after a fixed distance (e.g. 25,000 miles)

When the service light is reset, the next service interval is programmed into the dashboard ECU based on the current time / mileage. i.e. an oil Service is due after the vehicles first 10,000 miles, the service is performed at 11,000 miles and the light is reset and programs a new interval of 10,000 miles, therefore the next service is now due at 21,000 miles.

Long Life Vehicles - Post 2004 including CAN equipped vehicles

From 2003 VAG vehicles were equipped with an Oil Condition Sensor (QLT sensor) that determines the lubricity and the effectiveness of the oil by ascertaining the oil's permittivity. This data together with the oil level and temperature readings can calculate the optimum time for the next oil change. Depending on the usage profile, this might well be much later than had been the case so far. When the vehicle is serviced the type of Oil can be programmed into the ECU to assist in the calculation of the service interval.

The parameters that are used to calculate the next service interval include:

Oil quality used (programmed using tool) Oil Condition
Long-life QLT Sensor (permittivity)
Standard Temperature sensor
Oil Level

Inspection distance Inspection time
Minimum distance 9,000 miles minimum time interval 12 months
Maximum distance 18,000 miles maximum time interval 24 months

(the formatting got a bit scrambled there...)

We know VAG introduced longlife servicing before 2003, since it's in the A2, so could the oil sensor have been in there as well? I just rang my servicing guy and he says it's definitely there, in the sump and combined with the level sensor. Apparently it has two prongs. He wasn't able to give me a part number off the cuff, but he could find out. He was also fairly adamant that the right oil was used, and suggested it could be the sensor itself is faulty.

I guess he could be right, but again there's only one way to find out... paaaaaay!

Dev

Back