Windscreen needs replaced... help.

Lamby

A2OC Donor
Hi Guys,

Yeap, driving behind a Lorry a stone flip up :mad: and as put a chip in the windscreen, right in the 'A-section' and my MOT is due next week. Marvelous.
Still I am fully comp and I will just have to pay the excess so not to bad, but I don't really want to use Autoglass as I have never heard any good stories about them and they fitted a screen with a distortion warp to my Dad's Range Rover and hoped they would get away with it.

I am in SW London and if any one can advise me where I can get a replacement windscreen with someone that will be familiar with an A2 and offer a decent screen and service. Many thanks. James.

have a search on the forum for 'windscreen' I am sure we have a member in London who does automotive glass although ive not seen him posting in a while. hopefully you can track down a post and email him.

I know of a couple of good Autoglass fittings (mine being one of them), so don't rule them out.

Phone up your nearest branch and ask them if they have an A2 screen in stock, but tell them it MUST be an Audi original one.

I had an original one fitted and they were superb.

Give them a go.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Autoglass are a stones throw away from my house! (Excuse the pun!) Maybe I should give them a go as it would be so convenient and I would not have to pay for the screen and then send the bill to my insurance company.

I will give them a call now, see how I feel about it. And thanks for the tip, I will be asking for a Original Audi windscreen. I will let you know the out come.

Cheers Mike.

Original screens have either no branding on them, or the Audi logo.

I know that Pilkington make a screen for the A2, but it has the Pilkington logo on it and it is pants in comparison. If they have one in stock, go and take a look at it first (and make a note of any identifying marks on your current screen).

Cheers,

Mike

Ok... Windscreen update. Autoglass are not that bad after all. So far so good and they are fitting the new screen on Saturday. They promised an original Audi part and that I would have to pay the difference as my insurance would only cover a standard replacement (which I was okay with). The chap I spoke to was very helpful and said that even though the A2 is a rare car they have had plenty of experience on the A2. I was also very happy when I spoke to my Audi dealer about a Free MOT and we got around to talking windscreens, as you do, and he said they use Autoglass! So we will see.

When I needed Shoby Cars Windscreen replacing, I asked Autoglass and they quoted me something like £480 I think, AND they couldn't tell me if they were fitting an original.

I got this chap to come round and fit one for £150 I think it was, great service and no problems for over a year now.

Steven 0207 183 3231

Cheers

SARGE

Thanks Sarge, Always good to get someone recommended. I let Autoglass loose on the car. I took the car to the Unit and removed the bonnet for them which they where fine about. I watched them fit the windscreen and they where done in the hour. I live 5 minutes away and they told me that I would not be able to use the car for 2 hours whilst the windscreen bonds and if I get in the car and it causes a vacuum and could move the windscreen out of position. So of I went home... came back in two hours and I was very happy with the service! All ready for my free MOT from Audi now!

windscreen

Hi all ,

i have a large chip on my windscreen and wondered why my insurance company ask for £70 for one with the insurance are they hard to find them in stock or something ?

As far as i know (in my country anyway), insurance companies have a minimum amount that you're required to pay if you have a broken windscreen or if you total your car, doesn't matter. Others require you to pay a big percent for all small claims, and a much smaller one for big accidents. That could be your case, but a question to your ensurer won't hurt.

Hi Charger,

I am with Admiral and I am happy to say that with all there Fully Comp insurance they offer windscreen cover! Some insurers do not cover windscreens on Fully Comp insurance and I found out this to my cost several years ago. The insurance company I am with pays for the replacement, I pay a £70 excess and the insurance does not class this as a 'claim' on my insurance but there is a windscreen excess on most policies, much like your normal accident excess. If you negotiate not to pay the windscreen excess you will certainly see your yearly premiums rise. As for the windscreen being short in supply, I don't think they are that rare as my local Autoglass had 4 in stock and I could take my pick! Also it depends on where the chip is and how big it is on the screen, sadly mine was directly in the drivers view but there is a great link that helps define what is and what is not a MOT failure. http://www.nationalwindscreens.co.uk/mot.asp I hope that helps.

Back