FSD's

the grim reeper

A2OC Donor
Well all going well they should be going in next weekend (thats a week saturday;)), i'll post some photos of the project as well

FSD's, weitecs 30mm front springs, ARB and bushes plus link bars

Cheers Phil

Excellent Phil. She will feel like a new car and drive like one too. Look forward to your reports....

Cheers,

Well heres a pic of the stuff to get fitted Koni FSD's,ARB and bushes and then all the other stuff a few bags of bolts etc..........................;)

picture.php

Phil

Last edited:
Now I've gotten nervous... Thanks for the snap, Grim, but is there any chance of listing all these items...? I've done my ARB recently, but am about to embark on the FSD fitting. I've got the shocks, the two plastic bags with the white washer things and nuts, the green springs, front and rear bumps stops, and front bearings. So what's all the other malarky you've got there...? Could you bear to do a part-number list for the ever so keen A2OC community...?

Now I've gotten nervous... Thanks for the snap, Grim, but is there any chance of listing all these items...? I've done my ARB recently, but am about to embark on the FSD fitting. I've got the shocks, the two plastic bags with the white washer things and nuts, the green springs, front and rear bumps stops, and front bearings. So what's all the other malarky you've got there...? Could you bear to do a part-number list for the ever so keen A2OC community...?

Here's the list i've copyed this from a post Schnelletrecker post on the "FSD group buy" thread some time back, so this is what he posted

Here's the link post number 88
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9568&highlight=FSD+group+buy&page=9

strongly recommended to change:

8Z0 412 301 - front bump stop (2 pieces)
6Q0 512 131 B - rear bump stop (2 pieces)
6 N0 412 249 C - strut bearing (2 pieces)

also recommended to exchange especially in case of high mileage:

8Z0 511 149 A - rear, bottom spring yellow PUR rubber seat (2 pieces)
1J0 512 149 B , rear, top spring black hard-rubber seat (2 pieces)
6N0 413 175 A - dust protection for the front damper piston rod (2 pieces)
1J0 513 425 A - dust protection tube for the rear damper piston rod (2 pieces)
8Z0 411 315 D - droplink (2 pieces)

suggested to exchange due to possible rust pitting:

N 019 530 3 - screw (6 pieces)
N 101 064 02 - nut (4 pieces)
N 101 389 02 - screw (4 pieces)
N 102 078 03 - screw (4 pieces)
N 102 613 10 - nut (2 pieces)
N 102 861 10 - nut (2 pieces)
N 104 018 01 - nut (2 pieces)
N 905 173 02 - screw (2 pieces)
N 906 484 02 - screw (4 pieces)
N 909 081 01 - nut (2 pieces)

Plus i'm fitting the new ARB and bushes, so thats what you can see in the pic, i suppose you don't have to replace all the nuts and bolts, thats up to you :rolleyes:. I think Alanm posted on the same thread this lot cost about £150 so thats also something to take into account

And here's the link to Alanm's post about cost its the first post on this page
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9568&highlight=FSD+group+buy&page=14

Happy fitting Phil

Last edited:
Ah yes, Phil. I remember that post of Schnelletreckers - thanks for reminding. My car is low mileage, so I'll stop panicking.

I'm only being a bit sensitive about all this because I am in the US for the next 6 weeks and I am ordering parts remotely and hoping it will all come together in my absence... So I can't actually see the bits to make sene of them all.

Can you reassure me of one last thing: On Schnelletrecker's list he states the bump-stops (front and rear) and the strut bearings all come as 'two pieces'. The only diagrammatic ref I have is on VAG-Cat, and I can't see two pieces for any of these items. And nor could my Audi dealer when I ordered them all the other day. Of course, they were just looking at a diagram, too.

Does the 2-piece thing make sense to you? Have I 'ordered lean', so to speak...?

Many thanks again.

2 pieces means 2 one for each side, so 2 for the front and 2 for the back, better now

You lucky so and so 6 weeks in the US

Phil

Well all done FSD's, Weitec front springs and new anti-roll bar:cool:

It took 2 of us to fit them, which if your going to fit them yourself i would say get a friend to give you a hand, it took us just over 4hrs (oh yes that included adjusting rear brakes;))

here's some pics

Phil

Well i knew what to expect from this set up, i does feel great to drive, takes the pot holes much better.
The height hasn't changed that much, but after it settles that should level off (well nose down slightly)

haven't been out for big blow out yet i'll do that over the weekend. Now i've got my drive back(scafolding gone), i'll get it washed and sproused up and take some pics

Phil

Wel if you are thinking of doing this mod, this why you should spend the money on fitting the strut top bearings, see pic this was the drivers side it had started to get a bit noisy when going over alot of sleeping policemen, passenger side still intact but getting close to failing

Phil

Attachments

• 27082009161.jpg
    27082009161.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 313
Phil i think you have had your moneys worth out of them!!!! also i think you should check those spring perch rubbers at the rear-mine looked OK on the car but in my hand they were split and letting the spring through it,mine is a 53 reg with 50,000 miles showing.hope your enjoying your fsd's as much as i am---very nice--very sporty!
cheers mike

Last edited:
Wel if you are thinking of doing this mod, this why you should spend the money on fitting the strut top bearings, see pic this was the drivers side it had started to get a bit noisy when going over alot of sleeping policemen, passenger side still intact but getting close to failing

Phil

Indeed, mine were shot also.. also as Mike says, so were the rubbers on the rear beam that the springs 'rest' upon

Did you need any special Tools?
I was going to do the backs and get the fronts done by a garage,but if its just knuckle bursting stuff I may have a go myself and get the 4 wheel alignment done only by the garage.

I was going to do the backs and get the fronts done by a garage,but if its just knuckle bursting stuff I may have a go myself and get the 4 wheel alignment done only by the garage.

The backs took about 20 mins including adjusting the rear brakes so very easy you release the rears from the wheel arch (not from inside the car), but the fronts took awhile as the bottom arm wouldn't come off, alot of hammering (and at 8 am:eek:, i think we may have woken some peeps up;)) and then the same putting them back in very tight going, but defo a two man job it just makes it easier. All in all it tokk just under 4 1/2 hrs and thats with fitting a new ARB

Phil

The bottom of the front suspension strut is located in the hub assy by a pinch bolt and split clamp arrangement. It makes it easy to open up the split if you have one of these tools - http://lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=379&item=755 which work on a cam action - engage in the slot and turn 90 deg. A poor alternative is a blunt screwdriver.

When fitting FSD's with or without new springs, no settings are affected so the suspension geometry is not altered in any way. If the car was tracking true before the installation there is no need for an alignment check.

Not sure if you have seen it but Schnelletrecker provided this link from the German forum. It covers fitting Koni FSD's and should help with the general installation - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment...8&d=1236198218

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Back