Oil Change Query

EJG

Not been on here for ages so apologies for the raft of questions!

Gave the car to my wife, and bought a landy, but that's another story...

Anyway, the good lady has overfilled the oil and I need to drain some out.
So I have removed undertray and found what I think is the sump plug (A) however when I remove it (car jacked up) hardly a drop comes out.

Do I need to lower it again to remove some oil?

And what are the 'B' bolts?

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Puzzled.

(excuse the dodgy phone pic)

a2.jpg

That does not look like sump plug to me, certainly not from the 1.6FSI that I have.

What engine is yours, might help appropriate person to comment.

You're quite right should have mentioned it's a 1.4 (02MY).

Doesn't seem to be any other low end plug/bolt that would fit the bill, but I'm no expert on moderns. My expertise lies in 60's germans. :)

I guess it could be the cover with the two triple squares beneath A ?

Last edited:
on my car the sump plug is on the back part of the sump, on the side wall.

Hi EJG
Your picture looks like the underside of the gearbox so leave bolts A and B well alone.
I have the TDi. The sump is a steel pressing and painted black. As chb indicated, the drain plug is not on the bottom but along the rear edge of the sump (the side facing the back of the car. The plug has a conventional hex head and takes a 19mm socket Your 1.4 petrol should have a similar layout.

Cheers Spike

Your picture shows the locking cover on the underside of the gearbox and the raised bolt is the support pin for the gear change armature - I hope that the shifting is still smooth?

Follow Spikes instructions and you'll be fine.

Cheers,

Mike

Another option. Maybe not everones cup of tea but it works. Insert a plastic tube down where the dip stick goes and suck the excessive oil out that way. If you haven't got an oil changer suction tool to create vacuum to get the oil flowing use a vacuum cleaner cautiously at the tip of the tube and the oil will start coming. Keep the end of the tube below the oil sump at all times. When the oil reaches the end of the tube, remove the vaccum cleaner before the oil gets inside it. Once you get the oil flowing it will flow slowly with one drop at a time and it may take a good while depending on the diameter of the tube you have but you don't need tools, you don't need to work under the car or fiddle with the oil plug.

One tip, if you use a vacuum cleaner, get enough length of tube so you can insert a clean new one if you need to check the oil level in mid operation.

Thanks everyone, drained off the excess no problem once I had the right nut! :)

Have to say the longest part of the job is getting that dam under tray off.

Anyway all is well with the world, and a few credits in the favour bank from the missus!

Back