a2 on snow

wpaul

How good do you think A2 NOT WITH WINTER TYRES ON behaves on snowed and icy roads?
Is it drivable ?

definetly some cars are better and some are worse.

Front wheel drive, small and narrow tyres......so quite decent I'd hope. I'm yet to fit mine so only guessing for the moment.

whether it's winter tyred or not, in truly crappy conditions the A2 is OK. The back will come round if you're over-enthusiastic. It's light and mild-mannered mostly.

My equivalent of this is sheet ice with water on and on that it's acceptable, as it is on icerain.

It's a pain trying to get up hills with ASR / EDS on if you're not experienced with it and I'd say that will be your biggest problem.

Bret

If you've got 15" wheels on, it'll be fairly good on flat-ish roads, but forget it on slopes.

If you've got larger wheels on (especially 17" ones) with summer tyres, you'll be all over the place, if you manage to get anywhere at all!

There really is no substitute for winter rubber, unless you want to carry snow chains/socks with you.

Cheers,

Mike

Last year i found that my A2 with 17" tyres was ok, it got me where other cars couldn't go but the asr can get irritating, but i found the esp very useful when the back almost came round but i felt the esp getting the car back under control. Basically it is not a land rover but because it is light it isn't bad and if you have the 15" tyres it will get you most places.

Chris

Hi, this is my A2 on snow! :D
(Hope they don't see the Gran Turismo thingie ;) )
I had my own Ice track and here 2 pics.
Cheers, Gumbold

that is quite reassuring.
I was hoping A2 in winter will not disappoint.
Still I have not tested it on this field, but there is bad weather forecast here, so hopefully soon :D

Haha i love that the a2 is on that game, if only it was that good at snow drifting in real life!

Chris

With skinny tyres they are OK better than most other cars......

But truly epic on a set of decent snowies :D Mine went everywhere my Landcruiser did last year & we were trying!

Brilliant fun for handbraking about assuming you have'nt got seized up cables like mine had.

When i took the esp fuse out on my car all the warning lights came on and the power steering intermittently worked so i wouldn't recommend it as driving without power steering is tricky on a car designed to have it

Chris

no problems on any of the cars we tried it on last year... I think there were five or six in total. The worst that happens is that the speedo no longer works on a petrol. Yes, warning lights, but nothing else failed.

Anyways, I'll be trying to get some decent video of A2s moving elegantly on the track, let's see what happens.

Bret

My A2 with 17" wheels was absolute rubbish :eek: in the snow, my girlfriends a class with 15" wheels and narrower tyres performed well and her sons Ka with even narrower tyres was excellent. Will have winter tyres on 15" wheels by Wednesday:)

Well I made it to work

:p
IMG01199-20101128-1321-1.jpg

:cool::D

165/65/15 on ET28 5" rims

Back