Heated Mirrors

I've just got the heated mirror glass from Vagparts
I'm now trying to work out how the get the mirror glass out of the mirror. I presume its just a case of pulling it in the right way but don't want to pull too hard without knowing I'm doing it right.
I think I'm gonna have to mail skipton01 and get the workshop manuals.

Crystal Blue A2 TDi Sport. 17" Alloys, Climate, DIS, IceLink Plus. retro fit cruise. possible chip to come
thumb.jpg

It's really easy. Move the mirror to the extreme left or right so you've got a gap to get your fingers behind & then give it a tug. It's held on by a circular plastic clip in the centre of the mirror.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a Merlot Red 1.4SE petrol originally.
Now an Ebony Black 1.4SE petrol with Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.
A2%20front%20side_small.jpg
Audi%20accident.gif
New%20A2%20front%20offside_small.jpg

Cheers Rob
Sounds simple. I'll try it tomorrow. I'd already had a little go but didn't want to pull too hard without being sure I was doing the right thing.

Crystal Blue A2 TDi Sport. 17" Alloys, Climate, DIS, IceLink Plus. retro fit cruise. possible chip to come
thumb.jpg

Is there an easy way of knowing whether you have the wires present for the heated mirrors i.e. from chassis code/yregistration year/model etc other than pulling the mirror off?

Also...how do the mirrors turn on????

I'd heard they were there on all so took the risk. they come on with the heated rear screen, I've also heard but can't confirm they come on below 5 degrees as well but that may be BS or something I've made up.
The mirrors aren't too hard to take off, although I managed to crack one of them through over confidence, the first one went really well and I got ****y. but hey the old ones would only end up cluttering my garage as I a hoarder and probably would never have got round to selling the none heated ones anyway.

<h5>A2 TDi Sport. Crystal Blue, 17" Alloys, Climate, DIS, IceLink Plus with Ipod. retro fit cruise. S Line badges, heated mirrors, rear cup holder, centre storage tray and possible chip to come.</h5>
thumb.jpg

To help removal and replacement of the mirror glasses you can unscrew part of the casing on the underside of the housing - a torx type driver is required. With the mirrors on full lock, you can pull from the front and poke from the back.(It helps if you have got long fingers) On replacement, I also lightly greased the retaining ring so the new glass popped back in without exerting too much force

Thanks Spike...

I've just done mine and your tip about removing the underside cover on the mirror housing made the job a real doddle.

The heated mirrors are a great help de-icing the car these frosty mornings.

Hi

Just found this:

Hi,

I heard that you can retro-fit heated mirrors on an Audi A2 by simply replacing the existing plain mirror glasses with heated mirror glasses.

Apparently only one type of door control unit is fitted - irrespective of whether or not the Winter Pack is factory-fitted. The CAN bus supposedly "trains" the mirrors automatically and they are then switched together with the heated rear window via the HRW switch.

Maybe I just got lucky - I tried this out on my 2005 Audi A2 and amazingly it worked without any problems. Has anyone else had any experience with this "plug & play" upgrade? Would it work on all models, or just on the post 2004, slightly facelifted models (like mine) with the ribbed service flap/grille?

On A2's where it may work, it would be a cheap upgrade. While not really essential in our temperate climate, I do find the upgrade useful for clearing the mirrors when they're covered in frost, dew or raindrops.

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's experiences? Is it a well-known fact amongst the A2 internet community or have I discovered something new here?

Cheers, 8Z0

Any idea if it works??

At first I thought my 2003 tdi SE didn't have the necessary wiring & connectors but they were tucked away neatly behind the wiring to the electric mirror motors.

Turned out to be one of the easiest mods I've ever done on a car.

From vagparts.com (prices minus 10% with A2OC discount card).

For RHD cars:
RHS = £32.91
LHS = £27.22

I have a 2001 (51 reg) A2 and although it doesnt appear to have been specced with the winterpack ,I can confirm that on mine the mirrorglass was already of the heated variety and comes on with the heated rear window.

Is this just a fluke or was the removal of heated mirrors as standard, a cost cutting measure for later model years.

Hi herusix
I think you were just lucky as I'm almost certain none of our other club members without the winter pack found they had the heated mirrors.
My May 2001 TDi did not have them so its not something Audi just took off the spec on later cars.
It does appear however that every car has the wiring for the heated mirrors.

Cheers Spike

So, if the wires are there......

....... will the heated mirrors work when you switch the HRW on?

Or, is it possible with a 2003 car that I'll have to go to Audi to get them activated?

I've presumed that if the wiring is there, the heated mirrors will be 'plug and play'. I'll be well miffed if this ain't the case!

Or, is it possible with a 2003 car that I'll have to go to Audi to get them activated?

I've presumed that if the wiring is there, the heated mirrors will be 'plug and play'. I'll be well miffed if this ain't the case!

Alan, I've yet to encounter a UK car where the function needs activating in the comfort module, but you could be the exception!

If you are, no need to visit Audi, just find a local VAG COM equipped member who will be able to do it for you for a lot less than your dealer.

Cheers,

Mike

I answered this question allready:
Not automatically on every A2! It works with some (so mine) but other models (the newer ones?) need VAG-COM for program the controlunit correctly.
What needs to bee done is here: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthr...264#post644264
(change chanal 60 from 0 to 1).

So it works automaticly by some A2 but not in every one.

Last edited:
re. "So it works automaticly by some A2 but not in every one."

Is there any way of knowing whether the mirrors will work, other than by trial and error?

Is there any way of knowing whether the mirrors will work, other than by trial and error?

Strictly speaking, no, but as I said before, I've yet to come across one that didn't work 'out of the box' in the UK.

Cheers,

Mike

Back