please don't tell me i have to go to Audi

E

Emm

Fitted new Brembo grooved discs and pads, but on removing the sensor i heard a little crack. It came from the Brake Sensor case, so with my trusty Glue i sealed it. now i get the disc light and the warning buzzer from the DIS on the dash.

Can i reset it myself? can i change the sensor and the buzzer and light will go away? Or is it an expensive trip to Audi, to change and reset the thing, and who will only moan that i did it myself.

fingers crossed for any advice!

Emm

Hmmmm. Tut tut and all that.

Actually, I did it myself when I changed my pads and discs, but I did make sure to keep the pins separated before siliconing it all back up.

You can get another sensor, but as the cable is all moulded to keep out the muck and weather, you'll have to do a good and thorough job of splicing it into the loom.

Unfortunately, unless you have access to the full version of VAG-COM, it is a trip to the dealer to reset the light and they will probably want to replace the sensor connector before they reset it.

You can just cut it off and seal the end of the cable - as long as the two wires inside are not touching, a VAG_COM reset will work effectively. You don't actually need the sensor as long as you check pad thicknesses on a weekly basis you'll be fine.

Cheers,

Mike

i know, i know, i should have left it to the experts.

do i need to have it reset, even if i remove the sensor plug from the pad?

i can't believe it, all the cars i have changed, and the most inportant one i mess up!!

thanks for your help AGAIN Skipton

emm

You don't actually NEED to reset it, as long as you're happy with the warning always being there.

If you can live with it, then leave it be - I can do the job for you at Audi Driver International if you're gonna be there, or anyone with a full VAG-COM can for that matter.

The main thing is to get the connector to a state where it won't be constantly re-triggering the warning, ie shorting out.

Whether this means a replaced or repaired connector, onlt you can judge - I can't see the damage from here!

Cheer,

Mike

Spoke to Audi parts today and they have ordered a new plug for 99p i can't see it being the right part but he discribed it to me, and it sounds right.

they explained that it should pop off so you don't need to change the loom or splice it in.

It arrives on thursday, i will wait till then.

Emm

Picked up the part today and with a little bit of fiddling, it works!!
light on the dash is gone and for only 96P + vat.

Glad i had some advice otherwise i probably would have booked it in to Audi

i have posted a pic of the part and hopefully people can read the relevant number (aprt from my smudged Reg).

Many thanks and i hope this will help any one else!

Emm

Brake wear light on dash

Hi thanks to Spike i,ve now had the nearside hub replaced at last thank you Spike .

But the brake wear light(along with the annoying beep) on the dash is still there i know for a fact that the brake wear indicator is missing as i found that out the first time i had the disks and pads changed.

Its only recently started coming on since the problem with the hub is there a way to reset it or as i suspect am i going to have to have the wear indicator replaced.

If your unsure of what i mean its a circle with lines outside.

Thanks for any help you can pass on as im getting annoyed by this now i want to be able to see the outside temp again.

Hi David,

You're going to have to replace the connector and cable to get the light out and anything else is just a bodge really.

Cheers,

Mike

Thank you for the quick reply Mike.

I had a feeling that would be the case i just don,t understand why its only recently started doing it though as for the last 15/16 months its been fine even without the wear indicator.

Now for the part i,m wont be looking forward to do you how much the parts are and is it a hard job to do not that i,ll be doing it my self(brother in law/garage will be doing it).

Sorry to be a pain.

if you're good with a soldering iron, then you can do the work yourself.

The parts will total around a tenner, but you must make sure that the soldered joints are waterproofed with self adhesive heat shrink.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I,ve never used one in my life so i think its a garage job as im not sure my brother in law has used one.

Thanks again Mike i,ll pop in to my local Audi dealer for the parts.

Back