exaust fumes in cab while stationary

Hi,

Had my A2 a few weeks now and another problem i have found is once the car is warmed up when i stop at lights etc in town i am quickly choked by strong exaust fumes which is bad enuf to give a sore head and nip my eyes, its ok on the move. i have been driving large mercedes saloons for 15 years and i am wondering is this due to being a hatch? anyone else had this problem or any suggestions??

Thanks Don.

Hi Don,

Welcome to the A2OC!

Certainly sounds like a well-specced car you've got there.

As for the fumes, get things checked out immediately - that is in no way normal or usual for an A2, despite its body shape.

Does it smell like exhaust fumes or could it possibly be the aircon system? This is known to give out some heady smells from time to time.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi

thanks for that yes i was looking for months for the right spec and colour a2 to come up and i eventually saw it in leeds audi so had a 400 mile round trip to collect. i never thought about the aircon though i have had the climate control in economy mode all the time, would the smell still come from it in this mode?

Thanks don.

The smell would especially come on in ECON mode as the compressor is switched off when this buttin is pressed. This makes it loads easier for bacteria to grow in the aircon system and the smell from the bacteria could quite easily be transmitted to the cabin when everything gets warmed up.

If you can, get the system cleaned out (there is an aerosol available from the dealer) or looked at under warranty and then make sure you run the system at least once a week for an hour or so.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Don
Hope this is not insulting your intelligence but is there is a chance the fumes are being picked up from other traffic. If so you could try setting the climate control to the 'air recirculation' mode (curved arrow under the small display window)

Cheers Spike

Hi Don,

In the five years I've owned my A2, I have got into the habit of reaching for the recirculation button when in heavy traffic. I run the climate control in auto all the time, but frequently find that the fan speed does not go below 4 bars. This sucks a lot of outside air into the car, which is great when you are somewhere with fresh air. I too get headaches, but only when I've forgotten to turn the recirculation off again and I've been breathing the same air for an hour!

I hear Renault have a city sensor on their air con units which detects pollution and reduces the air being brought in from inside. Can anyone confirm this?

John.

hi,

thanks for the replies and i has not got anything to do with other traffic as i get the fumes anywhere i idle after the car has warmed up even in my drive. took your advice and turned the climate control off when i started to get the smell and it stopped so it is comimg through my vents when its on. its going in to the audi dealership on wednesday for them to look at my faulty temp guage and i will tell them to look into this aswell.

thanks don.

hi,
as advised by yourselves audi says its bacteria in the system but say its not covered by the warranty and say its £66 to deoderize, any suggestions on d.i.y?
Thanks Don.

Hi Don,

You may want to have a look at the following before spending any money

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=14

from where I have extracted the following -

"You should also turn the system to full cold for ten minutes once a week – even through the winter if you can – in order to circulate refrigerant which contains lubricants for the system and its seals. Then switch to full heat through the same pipes to thoroughly dry them out. This gets rid of any moisture in the ventilation trunking where mould and bacteria might be accumulating."

I hope it helps.

John.

Back