Oil level sensor

Following on from recent discussions about dipsticks, our A2 oil level sensor has gone bad - we now get the normal oil level icon on the information display along with the word 'sensor'. I recently checked and topped up the level, which remains normal.

So...can anyone advise where this sensor is located, and it's potential for diy replacement?

Hi monkeyfinger
I've tried to do a bit of research on diy replacement but can't find just where the sender unit is located. It's shown in the parts book (as a combined level and oil temp sender) in the general vicinity of the sump but there is nothing specific. Next time I'm changing the oil and have the undertray off i'll have a look

Cheers Spike

monkeyfinger said:
Following on from recent discussions about dipsticks, our A2 oil level sensor has gone bad - we now get the normal oil level icon on the information display along with the word 'sensor'. I recently checked and topped up the level, which remains normal.

So...can anyone advise where this sensor is located, and it's potential for diy replacement?
Attached is a diagram showing the exact position of the sensor, as indicated by Audi - it is item 20. I would imagine that a self repair is quite feasible if you are handy with a spanner!

Cheers,

Mike

Guys - many thanks for your time and trouble to look at this. I will check the cost of the part, and think about carrying this out in the New Year.

I have to say that the A2 does seem prone to a number of small, yet irritating component failures. As the car gets older (mine is 5 years), forking out for garage repairs on things like this becomes harder and harder to justify. The problem with this fault is that every time the car is started, there is the 'bong' of doom and a nice graphic of an oil can, so it's not easy to ignore. I know the oil level is vital, but at least now I have to check the level weekly, which is not a bad thing.

I replaced my sensor a couple of weeks ago - a straightforward job once oil was drained, just 3 bolts and connector plug (1/2 hour once the car was up on ramps). Also cheap for me as the sensor was 99p used from Ebay. I would actually prefer not to have one at all because it would make me check the level more regularly.

I now have peace and quiet when the ignition is switched on - no warning buzzer telling me that the sensor had failed.

With regard to checking the oil level, I find that the dipstick must be wiped completely dry, and then you have a chance of seeing the level mark on it. I would add that I had to replace the dipstick a couple of years ago when the end broke off the previous one. Another great bit of Audi design...

Attached is a diagram showing the exact position of the sensor, as indicated by Audi - it is item 20. I would imagine that a self repair is quite feasible if you are handy with a spanner!

Cheers,

Mike

I can note see the mentioned diagram, what is wrong?

I can note see the mentioned diagram, what is wrong?

Hi, we seem to have lost a few links from the older threads and this thread is 9 years old, perhaps someone has a copy of the diagram that we can replace?

Steve B

Hello
I am in the middle of replacing the engine on my 1.4 TDI. I have a replacement from a Polo and thought I had swapped all the relevant bits until I noticed the oil level sensor. The Polo doesn't have this although the casting is essentially the same on the front of the engine as on the Audi but they haven't bored the holes for the sensor and mounting bolt. Of course I have only seen this after changing the cambelt etc. and in any case I don't think I can get the toothed wheel on the crankshaft off. How tight is that?The casting is behind this wheel.
So firstly, has the Polo 9N an oil level sensor, it seems not but if so where is it? Secondly could I just continue and not bother with the sensor or bridge the terminals so it doesn't operate the alarm and warning light? ( is this going to happen?) Or another possibility is to drill a bolt mounting hole for the sensor, fit the engine see if it works and if I have an issue with warning lights and buzzers, I could take off the sump and drill a hole fr the sensor from below. Is this a stupid plan? I'm not sure which is the best and or quickest route. Can anyone advise?
Thanks

No, it doesn't. Which is why you end up picking up a new sump (for €200) which includes apparently new sensor.

- Bret

Back