shortage of coils in the UK?

gerard

had a coil on the 3rd cylinder of our 1.6 FSI fail on friday and the RAC dude didn't have a coil in his van, he called the local Audio dealer who told him that there is a shortage of these parts as there is/was a problem at the factory...

so basically they don't know when they will get the coil in...

meanwhile i can't drive the car as it could ruin the catalitic converter?

-=sigh=-

oh no!!!

so there is a shortage then?

darn! did you order from your Audi Dealer or another parts shop?

any recommendations on where to get this part would be appreciated...

although someone said on another thread that the coils have a 5 year warranty now because of previous problems?

so Audi should replace it free then?

although i would be happy to replace it myself if i can get my hands on the part just to be mobile! should just plug right in, no?

if you want it just get mobile try a breakers there have been a few on ebay recently. maybe you could put one from the breakers in but keep your brokwn one then when the dealer get some in swap it for a new one?

alexwharton said:
if you want it just get mobile try a breakers there have been a few on ebay recently. maybe you could put one from the breakers in but keep your brokwn one then when the dealer get some in swap it for a new one?

GREAT IDEA!!!!

finally got a hold of someone from the local dealer...

at first they said a couple weeks for a coil...

then he said it won't be until NEXT MONTH!!! my guess is it will be a month and a half at least...

and think of all the places that will be fighting for them when they come in!

after listening to all the excuses i said to the dude, what you are really trying to say is i should have bought a Ford?

heh heh...

oh lordy...

oh lordy....

so i just got off the phone with the dude who is selling the coils on ebay...

he said that even if one coil is dead that they recommend replacing all of them... argh, is this true or is it just a crafty sales gimmick?

and can i get away with just replacing 1 on a temp basis until Audi can get their act sorted out and replace it properly for me?

thanks guys!

Just noticed in one of the VW forums on Tyresmoke that a few people are saying VW have no coils either - so must be a fairly large scale problem the group has.......Again.....

My car is currently at the garage as the engine managment light came on and then would not start; informed by Lincoln Audi that it's the coil pack, £48 fitted, but there is non avaiable in the UK until the end of June!

your note going to believe this...

i have a hilarious story to tell you about this coil situation...

your not going to believe it...

but i'm feeling to sick right now to type...

hopefully i'll be feeling better tonight...

-=sigh=-

You really are not going to like this. I also need the coil on the no 3 cylinder replaced. My Audi Garage have said that you don't need to replace all of them when one goes (good news) but that yes there is a world wide shortage of them! Audi UK did not pre-order so they had to get in line hence the delay.. The world backlog is estimated at about 7000...... I know that in my garage alone there are 4 A2s waiting for the part and therefore off the road. They say the expected date for the coil to come into the UK to Audi will be around the 24th of this month and into dealers no earlier than the 27th of this month. So all out cars are effectively off the road until this is sorted out. When I called Audi UK customer service the guy I spoke to said he was not even aware there was a problem or a backlog.

The other problem is that according to my garage some Audi dealers do have some in stock but are not prepared to send them to other dealers in case they get a customer come in with the same problem. Its really annoying and not the kind of service we shoujld expect from Audi....

With regard to the wait for coils, has anyone been offered anything in the way of compensation for the delays? By the time the coils arrive at Audi Lincoln they would have had my car a month!

Also has anyone been in contact with Audi UK, what was thier response?

Perhaps the only good news I can give you guys waiting for new replacement packs is that the new ones work and are reliable. Had 7 coil packs fitted to my 1,6FSI in total. The latest, modified ones seem to work as I have had no problems for 14 months. And the engine runs smoother also seems to have more power.

Coil Packs

Re Coil Packs: There is company called AZ Spares ( i think) Tel; 01924 369000 who say they are expecting more of these coil packs in Friday or Saturday. Are these easy to fit DIY does anyone know?

I have a coil pack gone on my 52reg A2, I spoke to Audi Customer care and they told me I have no extended warranty.... Car has been off the road now for over a month now!!

Anyone else been told there A2 under 5 years old is not under warranty? They told me only certain TT's and A3's have extended warranties?

Cheers
Col

Last edited:
coil packs

I have been told by Audi UK that some of these coil packs are covered by 5 year warranty, but not all, would be worth emailing them for more information.

I was told today that my coils were not covered by extended warranty either. Also a 52 plate A2, 1.6 FSI SE. Am contemplating installing 2 vw ones as they're easy to just pop out and 2 of mine have recently failed, rendering car useless.

Has anyone else fitted ignition coils DIY style?

Holly

coil packs

Holly,

These seem to be dead easy to change, simply prise up carefully, remove connector plug, pull off coil from spark plug and push new one on. Still awaiting replacements, will let you know if they work.:)

Back