Radio reception problem part 2

Marco77

Well i took out the stereo, checked the aerial connections they were ok,
tried tuning in a station with the stereo out

Hey Presto they work BUT! when i i refit the stereo i lose the radio stations again. :mad:

im at a wits end is the another diversity aerial in the a pillers at the front?

checked the back ones but no joy

might get the multimeters on it tomorrow to see if there is power getting to them.

The aerial locations are all at the back, in the tailgate.

There should normally be 4 aerials - if you remove the trim around the rear windscreen, you'll be able to see the little boosters (1 either side of the screen and 2 behind the bottom part of the trim).

Chech to see that they've not come loose and also that the connectors to the diversity box are ok.

Failing that, it'll almost certainly be a broken wire from the diversity unit to the headunit, or possibly the return from the head to the boot.

Tuning to radio stations without an aerial attached is not that tricky as the internal electronics normally act as a kind of antenna anyway. If you hook up the aerial part only (leave off the green return from the headunit), you may be able to get decent tuning - if that is the case, either the diversity unit is duff or the return cable is.

A VAG-COM scan is the only sure-fire way of telling.

Cheers,

Mike

Ok did a few tests and have been informed that it might be the on board amplifier for the attennas

Problem is i have no idea where this is.

Does anyone have ETK discs that could have a look to find out where it is?

Hi Marco
The info I have read indicates the aerial booster amplifier is behind the trim on the right hand side of the (tailgate)rear screen. Skipton's mail however, indicates there is one on each side - and he is usually right.
If you have not already had the bottom panel off, the attached pic may help.
Skipton did have the parts and workshop manuals for sale if you'r interested.

Cheers Spike

I've had all the rear trim off there is one on each side of the rear screen and two on the tailgate panel as shown in your pic, but i didn't realise these are the onboard amplifier i'll recheck them.

There is also the little box of tricks that piggy-backs the navigation holder next to the battery. This is primarily a diversity switcher/selector, but it also acts as a pre-amplifier for the signal.

Cheers,

Mike

I also have bad radio reception and when I looked in to it closer i found that I don't have any antenna in the car...

the cable from the radio is only about one meter long and ends behind the steering wheel..

Back