flasher at large

ray hunt

apart from the water in the headlamps issue, :confused: i now have another.
could any one help ?. every so often , i come to my beloved A2, :cool: and the hazard warning lights are on ?. why is this ?. :mad: hope you can help. ta.

ray hunt said:
apart from the water in the headlamps issue, :confused: i now have another.
could any one help ?. every so often , i come to my beloved A2, :cool: and the hazard warning lights are on ?. why is this ?. :mad: hope you can help. ta.
Water in the headlamps is solve-able by putting those little silicone sachets in the shells, as long as there isn't loads of water in there.

The hazards are a tricky one to diagnose though without doing a scan.

It is probably a dicky central convenience control unit, but could be something else. If you're ever over my way, let me know and I'll do you a scan.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Ray
Another club member had a similar problem with the hazzards going off and it turned out to be the flasher unit - see post 25 on the attached link
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3637&highlight=flasher+relay

Cheers Spike

Just thinking about this, I can't see the logic as to why a faulty flasher unit would set off the hazzards so try and get a diagnostic scan done as Skipton suggested before splashing out on a new flasher unit

Last edited:
thanks spike, but too late , ive only just got round to login on and read your advice, £40 it cost. from dub sport in wigan, and got a flat battery the day after ,due to, batt terminals not tightened up, and guess what , yip its still flashing, goin to get a lecy on the case this week , will keep you informed ta.

I had similar symptoms last year.
The dealers replaced the Flasher Unit which didn't solve it.

They then found the problem was dodgy connections in a short wiring loom that connects the main loom to the flasher unit.
The said they had seen it several times on the A4 but not the A2 before.

They didn't charge me for the second visit as they said it was approx the same cost of the flasher unit.

Hope that helps

Chris

Further to my last post, I only recall the hazards givig two or three flashes and, only whilst driving. I didn't see them come on when parked & locked. At the same time, the indicators worked erratically but all these were fixed with the new wiring & connector.

Perhaps its not the same problem?

Chris

hello, i'm new here. just bought a lovely 2nd hand 1.4tdi a2 and all is going well except i have exactly this problem :( i have returned to the car twice and found all the hazzards flashing. to begin with i thought the alarm had gone off while i was away as i had left the wondow slightly open, but it seems not.

when i bought the car i noticed the hazards weren't flashing when i locked/unlocked the car and traced this to the fact that the fuse for the hazzards was missing. having replaced it, i now have this problem. the previous owner obviously went for the quick fix.

i'd be very appreciative if anyone comes accros the solution and could post it here.

Thanks

Audi Cardiff have turned my drama into a crisis!

My 53 reg A2 is exhibiting the same symptoms as others on this forum - hazards going off at random, both when the car is parked and when driving. I took it to Audi Cardiff, who charged me £440 to replace the convenience control unit - only to find 3 days later that the problem had not been fixed. I took it back to them and they've now quoted me an additional £1,300 to replace the door looms and some other stuff (and I'm not even confident that this will do the trick, having read several forum posts suggesting simply replacing the hazard relay for £25!!)

I am dumbfounded - surely this has to be a record for the most outrageous quote ever! All opinions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Lynne

Lynne, you are not alone in receiving poor service from Cardiff, so it comes as no surprise to me. The scale of their charges though is ridiculous.

If I were you, I'd offer them back the convenience unit and ask for a full refund. The door looms will not solve anything and you are correct in saying that the relay is the most likely culprit.

Also, get Audi UK involved by calling their customer service line and see if you can't get satisfaction that way.

Don't let them do any more work on the car, not at those prices.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for your feedback, Mike - gratefully received. I'm not letting them get away with this without a fight ;-)

Back