Extended Warranty

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I know Extended Warranties have been discussed before but according to the search results not since mid 2005. So it would be good to hear of any recent experiences you've had, especially re claiming!

My 3 year's manufacturer's warranty is soon up. I've been send details of Audi Approved Guarantee Administration Services which is provided by Modial.

For a vehicle under 1.6 litre and under 15K miles per annum they want £500. This includes RAC road side and recovery insurance, which I guess is worth about £120.

Having read the small print, 2 things catch my eye:

1. It covers "Factory fitted mechanical and electrical components of your car are covered against sudden failure.... ".

So, presumably if next year I have the cambelt changed and then it subsequently fails, I'm not covered. A full list of exclusions is given below.

2. One must keep the car serviced and repaired at an Audi Approved Centre or Audi Approved Authorised Repairer

So this may exclude me as I've used the Audi VW Centre Servicing in Melksham, Wiltshire. I will ask Mondial.

----- What is not covered -------

Replacement parts and labour will be paid for with the following understandable exceptions:
- Routine servicing (all parts replaced associated with routine servicing are excluded)
- All bodywork, glass and seals
- All adjustments, timing or cleaning
- Batteries
- Bulbs and fuses
- CV boot gaiters
- Exhaust systems (catalytic converters are covered)
- Upholstery, interior and exterior trims
- Non-Manufacturer's Original Parts
- Tyres and wheels
- Un-encased drive belts
- Wiper blades and arms
- Wiring and connections (including HT leads and aerial co-axial cables)
- Worn brake discs, drums and frictional material
- Worn clutch pressure plates, bearings and frictional material
- Coolant pipes and hoses.

I think thats not a bad price as it will cover everything that is likely to go. As for servicing I would have thought servicing at a VW garage would not affect the warranty.
If you have the cam belt changed next year and then it fails you would be covered by the warranty on the work carried out which is usually a year from when it is done.
I had the mondial warranty on my A2 and had all the repairs done at the VW garage and they claimed from mondial no problem.
If I still had the A2 i would go for this warranty. You will find that when the car is 4 years old the level of warranty offered drops and costs the same.

Hi,

I've had 2 claims through Mondial since last year - a new alternator and 4 new coil packs (although those last ones should really have been paid for by Audi UK). It's the no-bother option. The dealers treat it similarly to the manufacturer's warranty. You even use the same Roadside Assist telephone number. I've not had a contentious claim yet - so I guess that'll be the real test.

Ben

I have a Lumley warranty and it seems fantastic.

I think it was £250.00 for one year. It is with Isaac Agnew's in Belfast.

I got the car serviced recently in Dublin and then had a breakdown some 3 weeks later and had the AA take the car to Agnews. I phoned them the following day to arrange to send the Audi service details up to them as they would not be picked up on the Audi UK computer and was told that there was no problem at all.

They did all the work and a few other niggly bits that were annoying me without question.

I would recommend the Lumley one definitely. Maybe you could phone Lumley, or even Agnews, and see if they can do anything for you.

Try Michael Williamson at Agnews on 028 9038 0000 and see can they sell you the Lumley Warranty which can be used in a UK franchised dealer.

Smick said:
Try Michael Williamson at Agnews on 028 9038 0000 and see can they sell you the Lumley Warranty which can be used in a UK franchised dealer.

Will do. Thanks.

crb1011 said:
I had the mondial warranty on my A2 and had all the repairs done at the VW garage and they claimed from mondial no problem.

That's encouraging. I've sent an email but no reply. I find that many companies don't reply to emails especially where there are legal implications (i.e. the staff are not allowed to commit to anything).

My 3 year's manufacturer's warranty is soon up. I've been send details of Audi Approved Guarantee Administration Services which is provided by Modial.

For a vehicle under 1.6 litre and under 15K miles per annum they want £500. This includes RAC road side and recovery insurance, which I guess is worth about £120.

My car is nearly out of warranty as well and I have been offered the same £500 'opportunity'. I haven't looked at in in detail yet but it doesn't look too bad if you factor in the recovery, although you do need to use franchised dealers.

Does anyone have any experience of the warranties available from Warranty Direct or Motoreasy which my friend Mr Google told me about?

Yossarian: I would not touch warranty direct they are in my opinion the worst warranty you can get. I tried to claim for a steering angle sensor and they refused to pay up saying it was not a named component and after several letters of complaint I cancelled my policy and managed to get a refund. I then went with a Mondial warranty and had no problems what so ever claiming approx £900 worth of repairs all work carried out by a VW dealership. Always had the A2 serviced by VW and no claim was invalidated because of this. The Mondial warranty is an all components warranty the only things not covered are serviceable items. By the way I was advised that if I had Mondial warranty when the sensor had gone it would have been covered under the all components clause. If the warranty from Mondial states all components covered then go for it.

Does anyone have any experience of the warranties available from Warranty Direct or Motoreasy which my friend Mr Google told me about?

No, but in the end I took out the Lumley Warranty through Michael Williamson at Agnews on 028 9038 0000

My only concern (from memory) and given the electronics in modern cars is that printed circuit boards and wiring are not covered. But check this for yourself.

Im in my second year of extended warranty now. FIrst year I had about £4k worth of work done, this year so far its had about £400 worth of work.

Its worth its weight in Gold.

At least the price of Mondial has come down, they quoted me £600 18 months ago for my tdi sport, I like the way most wear and tear items are excluded!!!

Yes, I bought it through the dealership.
Not had a problem as yet touch-wood. Any claim has been put through and problems rectified. Car has just had a new FARB fitted under warranty too.

Thanks for the information. I decided to go with the Audi warranty from the dealer for convenience and because (until now) I have been happy with the work they have done.

My three year warranty finishes today and they've had my A2 for over a week now trying to rectify a transmission whine - it was supposed to be in for two days! It seems they replaced something in the gearbox and then couldn't get first gear, they tried again and couldn't get fifth to engage and now they're waiting to "replace a broken bolt". I pointed out that it would have been easier to replace the complete gearbox, which they agreed with but said that they had to do what Audi told them to!

I think I might need that extended warranty to cover botched repairs!

Back