Daytime Running Lights

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, finally got round to fitting them.

I decided in the end not to modify the bumper, as there isn't really anywhere with enough clearance to take the units (which are S6 lights for information), so I've actually fitted them inside the standard A2 headlamp shells.

It was very tricky, I must admit, and not something I'd want to do again in a hurry, but I thing the end result is very effective.

Here's a few photos for you to judge yourself.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
Well Done Mike

Picture one does have that special something.

also

I think adding your eluminated rings to this would be impressive.

You have done a wonderfull job there skipton

Looks really cool :cool: That will certainlly turn som heads :D

I want that too

Thanks for the positive comments chaps - glad to know they're liked (bit bling, but who cares - better than having blue under-car neons!!!).

I'll be leaving them as is for a while, but ultimately, I think I'll do some more cosmetic work on them as they don't integrate as well as I'd like into the whole look of the headlamp.

I agree that the illuminated rings would finish things off nicely, but it's a pain in the arris changing LEDs on a weekly basis when they blow, due to water ingress (yes they are sealed too - hot melt glue in the back, but moisture still gets in!).

Cheers,

Mike

Havank said:
Did you use some donor lights to put the linghts in??
I've actually got 3 pairs of A2 headlamps - 2 with removeable lenses which are the key to the whole operation really.

I had to dismantle the S6 DRLs and then make a custom heatsink for the 5 Luxeon 3watt LEDs, otherwise they'd last 2 minutes before burning out.

Then, it was modify their curve radius slightly and blend them into the existing shrouding, before modding the hi and lo-beam holder to take the new heatsink underneath it and removing the sidelight of course.

Then it was a rub down and spray job, with the final fitting being done last night at about 11pm!

All in all, about 3 weeks work, on and off each night.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
All in all, about 3 weeks work, on and off each night.

Ange must have the patience of a saint!! ;)

Well done Mike - looks ace!!

One question though; "Are there any limitations to your talents?!" (Keep it clean!! :))

Darren C said:
Ange must have the patience of a saint!! ;)
She took umbrage at the fumes from the painting, but most other stuff is done in the little workroom, out of the way, so doesn't interfere.

Next up is the projector xenons (might have a go at using the bi-xenons I've just got from an A4) and then self-levelling and finally headlamp washers.

Then, I think I can pretty much say that Tank will be complete, apart from possible gearbox mods (I want a longer 1st and 5th gears) and an induction mod too.

So then it'll be on to Project Ur TT!

Cheers,

Mike

Excellent work once again, I do think LED running lights offer good benefits and look great, not sure I have your patience though!
Skipton01 said:
Next up is the projector xenons (might have a go at using the bi-xenons I've just got from an A4) and then self-levelling and finally headlamp washers.
If you're going to replace your existing HID setup can I have first dibs on your current kit please!? It's on my to-do list for the winter having had them before!

Skipton01 said:
Then, I think I can pretty much say that Tank will be complete, apart from possible gearbox mods (I want a longer 1st and 5th gears) and an induction mod too.
Induction mod.. hmm, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this as I think there is scope for an improvement in this area too ;)

Nice one there Mike, how did you get the V10 in there? ha ha ha

If you manage to dissect the A4 lights can you let me know how so I can clean my old set and ebay them
Cheers
Mike

Mike - to get most Audi headlamps apart, you'll need to remove the metal clips and then pop it into the oven, Gas Mark 1/2 for about 5-10 minutes.

Then, use a couple of spoons to prise the shells apart and then Robert's your mothers brother!

If your oven isn't big enough, you can use a heat gun but will need another pair of hands.

The idea is to soften the sticky seal between the lens and the back of the shell, but unfortunately, on the A2 headlamp, they used a glue rather than a sealant and this doesn't really budge.

Cheers,

Mike

tdiman said:
Nice one there Mike, how did you get the V10 in there?
It's a common misconception that the 10 running lights signified the 10 cylinders in the S6 engine.

If that were the case, then the R8 must have a V24 and the S5 has a V20!!!!

I could argue that the 10 LEDs actually signal the 10th anniversary of the unveiling of the Al2 concept at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1997!!

But I won't.

Cheers,

Mike

Good point, and I like the thinking, was it really 10 years ago!

Still it looks good though, do you intend putting back the glowing rings as well

tdiman said:
Still it looks good though, do you intend putting back the glowing rings as well

Do you have any pics off this? This idea to iluminate the rings popped into my a few months back but I don't have the know how to do it.

Nice one, great job! This is exactly my vision of where any DRL would be in the A2. I had that idea from the TT's turn indicators. Well done and I love it!

I would be very interested in the projector lense mod too!

Yet another fantastic job.
The only thing I don't like (just like the illuminated rings and the sat-nav) is the way Mike manages to make it look and sound so damn easy. You think, 'Wow, I'd love that on mine' but when I actually look at the work and detail involved (see trimming of sat-nav) I know for sure these are no projects for an imbecile like me.

Should we start a poll to get Mike to mod all our cars to his standard?

Once again Mike, great job.

glock17 said:
Yet another fantastic job.
The only thing I don't like (just like the illuminated rings and the sat-nav) is the way Mike manages to make it look and sound so damn easy. You think, 'Wow, I'd love that on mine' but when I actually look at the work and detail involved (see trimming of sat-nav) I know for sure these are no projects for an imbecile like me.

Should we start a poll to get Mike to mod all our cars to his standard?

Once again Mike, great job.

Yes well when you are a proficient and skilled as he it these things are like falling off a log, don't forget he's in the right area of work and could probably teach the Audi tech guy's how to repair these cars

LOL

Back