fuel filter assembly 1.4tdi

davidmac

Just a wee note to anyone who is contemplating changing their fuel filter if you have a feel along the the length of the rubber hoses coming from the filter head you will come to a union where the rubber meets the main plastic fuel lines. There are two tiny spring clips on each union which if you push them together allows the fuel hoses to seperate. You can do this with 3 out of the 4 fuel lines this will allow the filter assembly to drop down to a more accessible position. The ends are different sizes which helps when connecting them back up. I found out the hard way after a lot of shed skin,scraped knuckles etc Hope this helps anyone about to embark on the same journey:)
Regards Davy

david

what year is your our A2, as I think there are two different designs for the fuel filter...? perhaps it doesn't matter for what you describe?

bba

51 plate I think you are right there is a cartridge and there is the complete assembly mine is the complete assembly a complete pig of a job until I discovered these wee spring clips Ahhh well these things are sent to try us
Regards David

hi
thank you for the info on the spring clips, i have a 2004 a2 1.4 tdi and want to change the fuel filter but i do not know were it is on the car and is it a hard job?

thank you for any info you can give me.
regards terry

Last edited:
the fuel filter is located underneath an aluminium cover panel which is accessed from underneath the car near the rear passenger side, removing four nuts.
post april/may 2002 models, it is easy, there is a paper filter which is removed from the filter housing without a great deal of effort, whereas pre april 2002 models it is a complete metal cased filter which is a pain.

Help! Does any of you have the fuel schematics or a picture of the fuel filter assembly for the 1.4TDi? I guess I´ve might have swapped two pipes, cause I can´t get a stable fuel flow to the engine pump. It´s now a 50/50 mix of air/fuel that is fed to the engine. I used a vacuumcleaner and a PET-bottle that I punched a small hole in midways to use as a fuel catch-tank, to de-air the fuel system. Still it´s so hard to get started. I doubt it´s a dodgy filter, cause it´s of the same make as was fitted before (Mahle brand). Tomorrow by lunch I´m crawling in under again to check the hoses. Since all the hoses had varied lengths I thought it would be a piece of cake to swap filters. How surprising life can be... Now it´s time for a comforting beer...

Mixed the pipes(hose's) you carnt go wrong unless you've put the filter the wrong way as in the main feed what is held in by the (r)clip should be the furthest away from o/s rear wheel .As for the beer well now your talking

Hej R5GT.

Just found out what where the fault was located. On top of the metallic fuel filter >=2002 year model there is a check valve preventing the fuel to pass in the wrong direction. The check valve is fitted so it´s supposed to be sealed by an O-ring on the connector. When changing filter I carefully (with a plastic hammer) knocked the check valve over the O-ring and the connector, which led to small cracks on the check valve flange (all made of white phantastic plastic). So no fuel leak out...just excessive masses of air getting in to the filter.
Gah! Left the car to my Audi Service shop on sunday night with detailed instructions of what to do... and got it back today... Running smooth again.... Phu!
Almost feels like grabbing me another one of those beers...

Back