Aluminium Fatigue

Surely the cracks are treated when the repair is carried out? Or will they not corrode in time?

Also are the replacement parts aluminium as steel does'nt mix with aluminium to well does it?

If so are all Audi reccomended body shops ok to work with aluminium?

Last edited:
I don't hink corrosion will be a big problem unless sprayed daily with high concentrations of salt water directly into the crack. Since december 2004 I have a piece of aluminium, a piece of stainless steel and a piece of mild steel in a salt water solution equal to a 2% NaCl solution used to de-ice roads. Each piece is in a separate glass. The mild steel is already gone, the aluminium is suffering from local pitting corrosion in a few areas but large areas seems to be totally unaffected. The stainless steel seems to be unaffected so far but it has only been exposed just over a year.

we had our cracks fixed this week! took 4 days Many Thanks to Mike for your assistance in getting the claim sorted

The cracking IS covered for ALL A2s, regardless of year, mileage or warranty status.

If anyone is persistantly knocked back by their dealers, please get the following info to me and I'll try to resolve the situation for you:

Dealership name.
Service managers name/workshop controllers name
Contact telephone number

Cheers,

Mike

PS In answer to R8SMVs question, yes, the parts are now available and repairs have been done already.

Hi,

Is this a UK agreement, or is it covered in Norway and other european countries as well?

-P-

Only the UK I'm afraid. In other countries it seems to be only a good will gesture. I got my 2005 done by Audi Sweden and my car was out of warranty. I also know of other owners in Sweden and Germany that got their cars done so give it a try.

Only the UK I'm afraid. In other countries it seems to be only a good will gesture. I got my 2005 done by Audi Sweden and my car was out of warranty. I also know of other owners in Sweden and Germany that got their cars done so give it a try.
Yes, you are right.
So far in Germany: My june 2000 car with 95000km does not get any good will! But all other 2001 and newer! So There is a program in their computer system, which checks milage (km) and age. And if the car is too old (2001 or older) witch high milage, there is no good will.
But for all others (when the car always had the Audi-service).

re:Door reworks

Hi all sorry if this has already been mentioned,just wondering if when you get your doors repaired at dealership,is there any outside paintwork to be done or is it confined to inside ?
apologies if already covered thanks Skully.

I think as long as they are not to bad it should be kept inside the doors, but it has been noted on here that someone has had all four doors changed so that be nearly a full repaint. GY Audi haven't got back to me yet on holiday next week i think i will chase them up.

Cheers Phil

I think as long as they are not to bad it should be kept inside the doors, but it has been noted on here that someone has had all four doors changed so that be nearly a full repaint. GY Audi haven't got back to me yet on holiday next week i think i will chase them up.

Cheers Phil

Are the rear doors failing also then?

After talking to Skipton(Mike) the back doors are very rare, but you can check them very easy as you can see the hindge when you open the front doors

Cheers Phil

After talking to Skipton(Mike) the back doors are very rare, but you can check them very easy as you can see the hindge when you open the front doors

Cheers Phil

Ok, if they fail is it the same kit that Audi use to fix?

It looks like the rear doors are already the same as the revised front doors that some people have had fitted?

Makes you wonder what other panels are failing that are not check-able?

Last edited:
What severity of cracking are Audi honouring. I have very minor marks on each of my front doors where the top hinge is in exactly the location the posted pics of cracks are on this thread.

My Audi maindealer warranty person said that he could only see it on 1 side and it was not enough to warrant a repair.

Surely if its visibly starting then it should be repaired? He showed me a picture that was part of the documented Audi warranty repair and it was showing quite a severe crack, surely one does not have to wait until the crack is this severe?

Last edited:
What severity of cracking are Audi honouring. I have very minor marks on each of my front doors where the top hinge is in exactly the location the posted pics of cracks are on this thread.

My Audi maindealer warranty person said that he could only see it on 1 side and it was not enough to warrant a repair.

Surely if its visibly starting then it should be repaired? He showed me a picture that was part of the documented Audi warranty repair and it was showing quite a severe crack, surely one does not have to wait until the crack is this severe?

Get in touch with Skipton and tell him what they have said and he should be able to help you

Cheers Phil

Re: Door cracks

Hi everyone it has come to time when ill be taking A2 into dealers to get doors done , ques is Has anybody used Tyneside Audi or Wearside Audi for their repairs?. Im asking as i guess it will be easier going to a dealer familiar with problem .

cheers Skully.

Door Cracks

Hi,

Took my A2 into Tyneside Audi, confirmed that the passenger door had a crack. Ordered up the repair kit, waiting for it to arrive, then paint it, and finally fit it. No hassel at all, cant even see the crack can only feel it with my nail!
Will let you know how the repair goes.

HaZeL goes in on Monday 18th to have both doors repaired.

The parts I was shown consisted of:

New redesigned top hinge
Dished insert bracket - quite large that fits inside the door
Plastic external cover
and a bonding agent of some kind.

They need her for 2 days so have given me a little Fox loan car - its transport...

Well the bodyshop finally had a look at my car today as the picture they had didn't show the cracks very well, so its 2 new doors and hinges for me and nearly 2 sides painted as they will have to paint front wings and rear doors to blend. Thats a big job, already spoke to grimsby Audi to see how long it will take, if its to close to ADI then i will get it done after then. Keep you posted

Cheers Phil

Back