00778 G85 Steering Angle Sensor - Intermittent mechanical error

arallsopp

Howdo folks.

In the last week, my wife's drives have been accompanied by a loud beep, a big flashing red (!) in the centre of the dash (replacing mpg, etc) and an orange circle around a triangle with a warning ! in it to the left. (Kinda looks like the post icon I tagged here).

When she turns the engine off, it goes away and doesn't return until she's driven it again for a while. Seems to be good with me, so no idea what its doing.

I took her (the car, not the wife) into my friendly local garage and they did a scan finding:

00778 G85 Steering Angle Sensor
Intermittent mechanical error.

They said, "Don't worry about it. Its not lit at the moment. Not much we can do. We'll have a google and see if we can't find out what that means."

So... I figure, "Hey, I know a whole bunch of well informed individuals who are more than likely to be able to arm me before he comes back with the wrong data."

...and here you are :)

Cheers in advance for any thoughts you can share.

Andy :)

Last edited:
Well, there is a sensor in the steering system that detects the angle of turn - it's used as part of the traction control system - it compares what your steering input is to what the car is actually physically turning on the road - if the two don't match it reckons that that means you're skidding (or about to) and the traction control/stability control will start to intervene.

Like any sensor they are subject to failure and hence the warning messages. I've not got personal experience about how easily they are replaced though I'm afraid, although I think that they are optical devices, so may be they can just be cleaned? It will sit somewhere behind the airbag I think. If you're able to clean it then it can probably be re-calibrated in VAGCOM and given another go before chucking it out and getting a replacement part.

Last edited:
Thanks for an exceptionally quick response Dan.

Hopefully you're right and a quick swab will see everything chirpy and happy. I don't fancy routing around behind the airbag (likely to literally blow up in my face) so will see if the error comes back and then discuss your thoughts with the garage. At present, they've cleared the code.

Thanks again,

Andy

Blimey Dan.

Good find! :)

I'm now worrying a little, as if the TT is capable of reporting a 'faulty signal' surely the A2 would say something similar rather than 'intermittent mechanical error'?

Whenever I see an error flagged by switch or sensor on stubby, I always suspect its the sensor itself or the switch that's gone (historically, that's proved 100% correct) but the fact that it can report a dogdy signal suggests maybe there's something else amiss....

Still, that link does give a very good explanation of how to clean the sensor. I'll certainly point the garage at this, as they had almost no idea :)

Hmmmm...

Bless 'em. My local garage are a progressive lot. I called them to discuss options, and they asked me to email them the URL :)

Gotta love progress. You can bet an Audi official garage wouldn't be so honest. :)

Hey, happy to help, that's what the forum is for - do let us all know what the result is as I'm sure this will crop up for others at some point.

I couldn't imagine trying to run/maintain a car without the help of a forum these days, just having to rely on main dealer knowlege would be a disaster!

that link is a good find. The steering sensor is easy to get to but you do have to take off the airbag (disconnect the battery before (dis)connecting the bag, if you worry it might trigger... but I've done it a few times with or without disconnecting the battery), steering wheel and the steering column cover. A common set of torx bits and the M20 head to unlock the steering wheel is required.

I think if you're careful and try to retain the position of the movable parts in the sensor, such as the rings ...etc, you should be able to clear the optical part, put everything back without the need to recalibrate. Spike gave me a tip before and it is useful to tape the movable part as you expose them, so the movable ring doesn't go a 360, which will surely require recalibration afterwards.

Humps, you have been lucky!

FOR GODS SAKE, PLEASE ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND FOLLOW FULL ANTI-STATIC PRECAUTIONS WHEN HANDLING EXPLOSIVE DEVICES SUCH AS AIRBAGS.

Is that clear enough?

Anyway, great find Dan - was that whilst having a sleepless night, or are things going well?

Cheers,

Mike

That's a good tip to tape the moveable parts. Could save a whole host of issues when putting things back together.

Am heeding your warning too Mike. I've got enough issues right now, without adding unexpected detonations to the mix. :)

haha, skiption, I won't disagree with your precaution, yes everyone should always disconnect the battery when handling airbags. And always place the airbag in a safe area with the bag facing up, or accident can happen like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOyqY1ATYHU&feature=user ;-)

Airbags are designed to be replacable with electrical connectors. It is not just the voltage that triggers them. You need at least an ampere of current (design varies) and sustain for a couple of milliseconds. Otherwise, bad earthing or poor wiring design can accidentaly trigger airbags. This is also to protect against static or general mishandling (like me!) which usually result in a sudden voltage rise but not enough sustained current.

handle with care, always disconnect your battery!

OK, this is an old thread but...

Don't you just hate it when you get to the end of a thread and it is just left hanging with no idea of whether this resolved the issue or not?

It might be a good habit for us all to thank those who have spend time sharing information by at least saying "Thanks guys/gals, but it didn't work for me." or "Great - sorted!"

OK, this is an old thread but...

Don't you just hate it when you get to the end of a thread and it is just left hanging with no idea of whether this resolved the issue or not?

It might be a good habit for us all to thank those who have spend time sharing information by at least saying "Thanks guys/gals, but it didn't work for me." or "Great - sorted!"

Hi there.

I'm not an A2- but A6 owner so sorry for the intrusion ;)
I have used the above "sensor cleaner" link from the ttforum with success on a 2001 Passat V5.
Just my 2cent

Regards
Kim

Howdo folks.

In the last week, my wife's drives have been accompanied by a loud beep, a big flashing red (!) in the centre of the dash (replacing mpg, etc) and an orange circle around a triangle with a warning ! in it to the left. (Kinda looks like the post icon I tagged here).

I came accross this problem when driving home late last night. As all others who have had this problem, I pulled over and turned off the engine. Once I started it again the lights had gone out. Driven this morning no problems, however, I leave at 6am tomorrow for a 2000+ mile road trip into Europe and am unsure what to do about the fault.

Does anyone know if the problem of steering angle sensor will escalate or could it wait until I get back. I am aware of the link to clean the system, however, I don't want to be removing airbags etc before such a long trip out (just in case I open a can worms).

Any advice before I leave tomorrow morning would be great!!

Thanking you in advance,

Greg.

Back