Starting problem - solved?

birdsd01

A2OC Donor
Hi all,

In my last posts I mentioned a problem with starting my 1.4tdi. Mine (and your!) first thoughts was a flat, or dieing battery. I had it tested, and it came out OK, and the car wouldn't jump start or start from a powerpack. So not the battery then?
Five happy weeks later, in the rain, in the Lakes, and it wouldn't start :mad:
Just a repeat of the click, click, click!
Cue the RAC!!
First thing he said was "battery" ! Then he tested to see if the starter motor was getting any current with the ignition on III. 0amps! He then put 12 V across the starter motor and it started first time. Turns out there is a relay between the ignition and the starter motor which will only open and stay open if it detects enough current from the battery. That was the clicking I heard, the relay opening, and then closing again, probably not the soleniod on the starter motor.
He then tested the battery using another altogether bigger testing unit, and when under load it failed, with less than 20% capacity!
Best news of all, he phoned the local Audi dealer, they had a new battery in stock and the dealer then lent me the tools to fit it in the carpark! Result!! £110 inc VAT. Not bad! So thanks to the Audi dealer in Grange-over-sands. V. nice workshop and very friendly parts guys!

Lesson 1: Not all battery testers are the same!
Lesson 2: The RAC are worth the money!
Lesson 3: You can start the car by putting a 12V signal across the starter motor, even if the battery is half dead! Useful to get you going in an emergency.

So hopefully my troubles are over.

Cheers,

David

Hey did we or did we not say the battery (not that you didn't believe us or nothing) lol, were here to help and give advice how you take that on board is up to you. Glad you got it sorted just took the man in the big orange van to convince you lol

Cheers Phil

PS sorry my humor is a bit dry

When I looked around on Teesside the cheapest was £80inc VAT, so £110 from the Audi dealer whilst stuck in the Lake District seemed OK. To be honest I was glad to get the car going again!
£60 is a bargain, what sort is it? The cheapest one I found didn't have the same 80Ah as the one fitted, but was the same shape and size. The cheapest 80Ah was £89inc VAT. The Audi dealer sold me the Ca/Pb Varta OEM battery, obviously :D

Turkey! That's what we're having for Christmas. I didn't expect it early however! The Banner 096 from GSF was worse than the old one it was replacing! I understand that battery technology has moved on and the book says this one will do (rated at 70Ah as opposed to 80Ah - old one), but there was a delay in starting straight away! The old battery seemed fine in comparison (it had been fully charged the week before and travelled 100 miles to see family).

I think I'm going to stick it out until the damn thing doesn't start again (expect the end of Jan 09 when the 2 week 'winter' seems to arrive), then I will pay for a 80Ah Varta! Quality costs. No big heavy presents under the tree?

Merry Christmas one and all.

Neil

Hi Neil
The AmpHour rating is only half the story for battery starting performance. More important is the CCA (cold cranking amps) rating which is a guide to how well the battery will release its electrical energy in short bursts. I saw this mail order company advertised in Auto Express and they sell Varta batteries at competitive prices if you don't have a local stockist - http://www.tayna.co.uk/batterygroups/30/096-Car-Batteries-page1.html

Cheers Spike

That's where I was heading Spike , but thanks anyway. Was going to get the Silver Dynamic!

Thanks for your help. Have a great tomorrow!

Neil

Merry Christmas all,

The saga continues! New battery installed just 10 days and yesterday the same problem of click click click and no starter motor turning????

Cue the RAC again!! He had a look, tried to jump start it from his van, no luck! He checked a few other things, and then whilst under bonnet wiggling the wires from the starter motor (with me holding the key in the fire position!) he yelped as sparks flew in his direction:eek: He had wiggled the main earth strap from the engine to the car sub frame behind the passenger side headlight and made a contact! The first picture attached shows the offending bolt head! He tried to remove this and clean it, but it was welded tight. So he fitted a new earth strap from one of the starter motor bolts to a bolt on the engine mounts. He has fed it across a small metal brace (see 2nd picture). It is a heavy duty cable, which he thinks was meant for a Ford transit! What do you think? Is this a good enough job to leave alone? We checked that it doesn't foul the gear cables and it is attached with a few cables ties. Comments please if you think it need moving!

It now starts like a dream!! Since it also has a new battery!!

Happy new year to all, and I hope that this time the problem is fixed!

Cheers,

David

Glad to hear that you are sorted birdsd01! Little things can be so annoying!

I took deliver of my new battery from Tayna today. The battery was a fair bit smaller than the one it was replacing (the original was a Varta BEAST) but the width was fine for it to sit snuggly in the boot. I accept that battery technology must have moved on in the last 5 years. The CCA rating is 750 CCA as opposed to 680 on the old one - thanks for the heads up Spike. I'm happy to report that at 2 degrees Celsius it started with no problem at all! The true test will come early in the morning when it is negative.

The moral? - if there ever has been one. Replace your battery after 5 years, it most probably is done its stint.

This is the one I got:
http://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-096-Varta-Silver-Dynamic-Car-Battery-P3197.html

Enjoy the New Year

Neil

Back