FSD group buy

I think really you should look at what do you use you car for and why have you fitted FSD's

I will 90% of the time have my dog in the car so keeping the rear 00 would seem to be the way to go, and fitting FSD's is for me to give that better ride but still having the sport feel when you want to, so if you tend to load the car up go for the 30/00

Cheers Phil

I think really you should look at what do you use you car for and why have you fitted FSD's

Agree with you Phil.

For 90% of my driving I am the sole occupant, hence my Weitec 30/30 suits my usage criteria.

As for the squatting dog, personally I don't find it a "big deal" like some; although I acknowledge that there is a "slightly" noticeable ride height differential.

After 18 months I am still very, very impressed - though I had mine fitted well before Schnelletrecker posted about the bump stops; still riding with stock fitment here - no detriment that I have observed, but I am probably not getting the best out of my set up.

Darren

Sorry, but measuring from the ground to the centre bottom edge of the wheel arch isn't objective! .....So the only objective way to compare the car height (on horizontal ground) is measuring the distance between the centre bottom edge of the wheel arch and the wheel centre!

Oops, good point! I have measured again and I have 35cm at the front and 34.5cm at the back, unloaded with a half full tank. I would still be interested if somebody with a standard TDI SE could check theirs. Thanks

Hmm, I have a suspicious creaking noise emitting from the rear when I go over large bumps (when the rear wheels come off a speed bump for example). Has my suspension been fitted badly? It couldn't be rubbing could it?

TDI spot on 35cm front and rear. EOM

Cheers

Matthew

Oops, good point! I have measured again and I have 35cm at the front and 34.5cm at the back, unloaded with a half full tank. I would still be interested if somebody with a standard TDI SE could check theirs. Thanks

Hmm, I have a suspicious creaking noise emitting from the rear when I go over large bumps (when the rear wheels come off a speed bump for example). Has my suspension been fitted badly? It couldn't be rubbing could it?

Hi Dan,

Did you go for the 30/00 springs in the end? I had the 30/30 fitted and they creaked, on the rebound off speed humps, until I had been for a long drive with some weight in the back (my parents;)). They are silent now, even when loaded up. Give it a few miles to settle, before going back. It could also be one of the back seats, or the moulded plastic in the boot? I had all this out looking for the creak as well! But in the end I was convinced it was the new FSD's, and they just needed bedding in.

Enjoy cornering faster!

David

Hi there - I went 30/00 in the end, although replaced the rear bump stops (kept at default length) whilst he was in there. Also replaced front strut bearings, and shortened the front bump stops. I did do 220 miles at the weekend with a full car load, but I'll give it more time as you suggest - got a 400mile round trip again with a full car load coming up this weekend so that should hopefully be enough mileage to bed them in?

The car is so much better though with the FSDs.

So I finally tracked down the creaking noise at the back - the spring mounts were worn, so I decided to replace those and get A2 Sport rear springs at the back and fit those at the same time. So I now have an overall lowering at the back to match the front - car looks really nice now, will take some pictures if/when it stops raining.

I am about to fit FSD's with Weitec 30/00 to an A2 1.6 FSI sport. Do I need to compress the front springs by 10mm - or just fit them as they come and shorten the bump stops by 30mm as normal?

strongly recommended to change:

8Z0 412 301 - front bump stop (2 pieces)
6Q0 512 131 B - rear bump stop (2 pieces)
6 N0 412 249 C - strut bearing (2 pieces)​

also recommended to exchange especially in case of high mileage:

8Z0 511 149 A - rear, bottom spring yellow PUR rubber seat (2 pieces)
1J0 512 149 B , rear, top spring black hard-rubber seat (2 pieces)
6N0 413 175 A - dust protection for the front damper piston rod (2 pieces)
1J0 513 425 A - dust protection tube for the rear damper piston rod (2 pieces)
8Z0 411 315 D - droplink (2 pieces)​

suggested to exchange due to possible rust pitting:

N 019 530 3 - screw (6 pieces)
N 101 064 02 - nut (4 pieces)
N 101 389 02 - screw (4 pieces)
N 102 078 03 - screw (4 pieces)
N 102 613 10 - nut (2 pieces)
N 102 861 10 - nut (2 pieces)
N 104 018 01 - nut (2 pieces)
N 905 173 02 - screw (2 pieces)
N 906 484 02 - screw (4 pieces)
N 909 081 01 - nut (2 pieces)​

All above listed parts together will cost about 100 to 120 EUR but will provide you with another >100000 miles of trouble-free travelling.

When fitting FSDs, do people use the dust protection covers? They have a tendancy to break at the top and then just bounce around. Are they an essential component, or have people fitted FSDs without?

Cheers,

Tom

The dust cover dont break, its the bump stops that they fix to. They perish and then the dust covers fall off.

And yes, you use them to prevent dirt / water building up on the damping rod.

The dust cover dont break, its the bump stops that they fix to. They perish and then the dust covers fall off.

And yes, you use them to prevent dirt / water building up on the damping rod.

Fantastic, thanks John. I'll add them to my order.

Cheers,

Tom

Back