Which A2 should I buy?

Open Sky Sunroof?
What is the view on this? I've been reading older threads and I'm not sure whether in 2017 there is still the expertise to maintain - and if there is a problem - fix the Open Sky Sunroof.
Anyone with an OSS who has it maintained and/or had it recently fixed?

Hey Sunsurfer,

I had a brokensky for years, which was ok until the sunny months, when it was really annoying.

I finally decided to get ths whole roof replaced at around 600ish. That's 150 for used roof off ebay and 450 for install with A2cars. I did remove/install the headliner myself which reduced cost. It seems that a DIY job is possible.

Max

Last edited:
Significantly less reliable than the 1.4. Faster, thirstier. Runs a higher internal temperature, which has a tendency to age plastics.

I would not discount a 1.4 as you will get a better car for the same money. I would also be very wary of an early TDI as you don't get Euro 4.... but either could get a DPF if necessary. I would still opt for petrol over diesel if you need long-term city-entering capabilities and if anything, the 1.4 petrol is the simplest and most reliable of the bunch.

- Bret

Got to agree with Brett's comments on the 1.4 petrol. Each model has its strengths but surely the 1.4 should represent the easiest version to maintain long-term as these cars age given access to parts. Saying that, I'm always tempted by a 1.6 FSi with opensky though....just would need to cross my fingers after buying for good fortune!

The 1.4/1.6 petrol or the diesel.....with 15" or 16" alloys....? We are all different and the group has certainly given you food for thought over what they prefer. I drive the 1.4SE with working Open Sky....it doesn't matter what A2 it is that you drive, you'll love it. And that I'm sure is the conclusion of all the members on this site whether a seasoned owner or newly acquainted.

Open Sky is nice to have whether it works or not. Lets in loads more light. Mine does work but I've probably only had it open 3 or 4 times the whole summer.

Whatever you get..Enjoy! :):)

Cheers
Ruggie

I’ve got all 3 variants a tdi 90 remapped to 115 bhp.. a 1.6 fsi .. & a 1.4 se with leather & oss .. the tdi is noticeably heavier ..in gearchange & weight of engine .. but is incredibly tractable having oodles of torque enough to embarrass much quicker cars ... mine revs like an fsi .. the fsi has a much slicker gearchange & is most noticeably lighter..resulting in an extremely quick car that loves to rev ... the 1.4 on the other hand with oss is heavier due to the weight of the sunroof ... however all the controls are light to use & is an absolute pleasure ... quiet smooth & surprisingly economical... 45 - 50 mpg... the fsi returns 38 - 40 mpg .. however the tdi returns 65-70 mpg ... I love them all for different reasons ...

If I were to get another A2 I would get one without the Sky Roof and with rear brake discs instead of drums.
Mostly becuase this car would be the perfect candidate for a conversion to a 4x4 electric hub motors without much effort.
I'd then get rid of the engine and then install 50kwh battery pack and 22kwh brusa 3 phase on board charger and associated controllers and dials.
Not that I've thought much about it. ;-)

Back