Information Audi A2 3L - Bought as non-runner...

As Rab as said... the gearbox itself is very reliable but the control system needs servicing regularly and preventative maintenance to keep them happy and functioning as designed.

Thankfully there are plenty of people around now who drive them and look after them who are happy to help out with issues etc.

MG

I advertised within this group for a Double Din Dash Insert and Steven Garrity replied that he had one for sale.

Unfortunately this has not gone well at all and now we are at the unfortunate point of having to make it public.

I have sent payment in full via PayPal for the Double Din dash insert.

It arrived today, well packaged (and without damaged packaging) but the insert itself is damaged and has a support leg broken off. The broken part is not included within the packaging and what's more, it's an old break and very obvious. This is has obviously happened some time ago.

On contacting Steven Garrity with regard to the damage, he did not offer an apology or suggest that he was not aware of the damage. He has offered to refund the payment but not until I have paid for it's return which is not acceptable.

I'm now in the position where I have received faulty goods that are not fit for purpose and he is suggesting that I should be left out of pocket for his dishonest trading practices.

I will start the process via PayPal shortly of retrieving my payment but I thought that this would give the other party one last opportunity to do the right thing and have the damaged Double Din Insert collected at his cost and return my payment in full.

It goes without saying that had I known that the insert was damaged, I would not have entertained the thought of buying it. I am not interested in fitting broken parts to my car which could induce rattles or squeaks. Such is the work involved in fitting this that I intend it to done once and once only.

It is interesting that Steven Garrity questioned my payment via PayPal as 'Goods' rather than 'Friends & Family'... I am very glad that I did looking now at the situation we are in.

Should anyone else be considering buying from this seller, I would reconsider!

Here are photos of the broken insert.

20180208_103643_zpsi0hy2fqo.jpg

20180208_103648_zpsiwwjiijb.jpg

MG

I agree that this sounds like a poor situation, but I am not sure that posting it in public will help you get your refund.

The other thing to point out is that reading your version of events makes it clear that you appear to have been unfairly treated, but it is not fair to hear just one side of the story.

But even if Steven was to reply with his side of events I am not sure what you feel could be achieved. We cannot expect the team to act, this is a very regrettable situation but it was a sale between Steven and yourself.

I realise that you want to air your grievance like this but on a forum that is there to share our appreciation of a particular car model, it does seem wrong to have posts like this, especially just one side.

The small claims court is the pace to air the facts and have an independent arbitrator resolve the blame.

Please don't think that members will not understand your feelings. It is just that I am not sure that this will help.

I am sure the admin team will decide what to do about the post so I will leave it to them.

Steve B

Sorry to be the police in this situation but the consumer rights act 2015 distance selling regulations clearly state you have 14 days to return the item then Steven has 14 days on receipt of the item to refund your money..

So as the law lies Steven is well within his rights to withheld monies until goods are returned..

And agree ive dealt with Steven he’s a nice guy..

Last edited:
I am not taking sides at all or saying who is right or wrong here but what people must remember is that any sale is between the two parties concerned and no one else, not even the club as they just provide a platform for people to use with the added bonus of people being able to sell items for the cars.

Bringing it into the open domain in a club will virtually never resolve the actual issue but often causes more issues in the long run.

If you have been sold a defective part then there are routes to go down and really the only club people that should be involved are the moderators, but even then only for oversight in case they can see a trend with specific members occurring as they can then deal with the membership issue.

Many people seam nice face to face, but don't we all ? We all like to put our best foot forward in public but to be honest the real measure of anyone is not how they are face to face, or how chatty they are on a forum, well of course it helps but it's when things go wrong that's when the real measure of someone comes out.

I'm sure this is just s storm in a tea cup, however it does seam logical that this should just be sent back for a full refund. I've seen this before on the S2 forum with mainly dodgy sellers from abroad for selling something for £££ and then not even posting the item out and it's only when it's opened up onto the forum that anything gets done and they have the right to reply openly.Usually the dodgy sellers never reply and of course that makes it an easy decision for the moderators to ban them and of course makes it public so others don't get caught out.

Sounds like this is a dispute over a few quid postage. Hopefully something can now be resolved between you.

That's what this boils down to Steve. If i made the mistake of selling something that wasn't right i'd swallow the return postage as a way of apology just to keep it all nice and smooth. It's got to be worth that surely to avoid the mess we have here.

My posting is more about a warning to others considering buying from the seller rather than expecting it to make much difference regarding the refund.
My questions is simple...

'Why should I be out of pocket for another persons' deceit?'

I haven't done anything wrong here, I've tried to buy a part that that I needed for my car. The part has arrived and is broken.

If that happens on Amazon, or in mail ordering you are given the opportunity to the return the faulty goods at no cost to yourself.

This is what I'm asking for. I have no problem with the item being returned to the seller... but I should not be the one that should have to fund this.

I agree that it is best to not make these things public and I consider it a last resort... which is what this is.

MG

"My posting is more about a warning to others considering buying from the seller rather than expecting it to make much difference regarding the refund."

In that case unfortunately that is even more reason to not have your post on the public forum.

That statement could seriously damage the seller's reputation and this may be an isolated case and a mistake or misunderstanding (we have not heard from the seller and so we should not be tarnishing someone's reputation.

Once again, I repeat that I understand how you feel but we have to be careful and not let this mistake/event have an overly serious impact on the seller without it being legally agreed as to what laws have been broken.

Telling others to be careful about dealing with the seller is a very risky legal situation. You are penalising the seller.

Yes you are being friendly and trying to warn others to be careful, but there may be two sides to the story, I am not saying that there is or isn't just that we do not know.

I will step away from this because I don't want to be misunderstood, as I have said, if what you are saying is true (I have no reason to doubt you) that is bad, but both you and the seller have appeared to be totally fair and honest up to this event, so we cannot take sides.

Steve B[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
My posting is more about a warning to others considering buying from the seller rather than expecting it to make much difference regarding the refund.
My questions is simple...

'Why should I be out of pocket for another persons' deceit?'

I haven't done anything wrong here, I've tried to buy a part that that I needed for my car. The part has arrived and is broken.

If that happens on Amazon, or in mail ordering you are given the opportunity to the return the faulty goods at no cost to yourself.

This is what I'm asking for. I have no problem with the item being returned to the seller... but I should not be the one that should have to fund this.

I agree that it is best to not make these things public and I consider it a last resort... which is what this is.

MG
Hi MG,

Deceit is a very strong word. I think you should edit your post and remove this sentence as I can think of several scenarios where this might not be the case.

I can sympathise with your grievance and I could say a lot more, but sleep on it.

I am just sad.

Andy

Back onto more important things...

Last Thursday on the way home, shifting down (automatically) through the gears... when it got to 3rd gear I was presented with about 2-3 seconds of 'crunchy crunchy crunch crunch!!' and then it selected second instead.

I immediately knew what had happened. I did try to select third just once more but it had the same result.

The selector fork for 3rd and 4th gear has snapped inside the gearbox. :(

I had this happen on the Lupo 3L also (I actually bought it broken but didn't realise for some time) and rebuilt the gearbox.

So... the A2 is back of the road and the Lupo 3L has been pressed back into service!

Now to pull the gearbox out of the A2 and pull it apart.

At least this gives me the option of replacing the juddering clutch at the same time which has been one of my biggest bug bears of this car.

MG

I’m guessing the fact that you caught it quickly and knew what it was is a blessing. Another may have scrapped a broken car. Great work on keeping on keeping on (figuratively for now, of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm... when I had both ends of the anti-roll bar disconnected to drill out the sheared off bolt, I noticed that it was quick loose within the bushes.

I looked at removing the anti-roll bar to drill it out but the bolts that hold the bush clamps on enter from above... i.e. there isn't enough room to remove them (or even get a socket onto them) without lowering the sub-frame.

I wonder if this is the same system as on normal A2s?

Any pics of the issue on the normal A2 please?

MG

Hello

My DIY guide now has the lost pictures reattached, one shows the corrosion to the old anti-roll bar.

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/front-anti-roll-bar-arb-diy-replacement.6341/

Cheers
Jonathan

So I've ended up buying the set of black leather sport seats that have been doing the rounds from another A2OC member...

The ones that the passenger seat has rips in... except that'll be the drivers seat so I need to sort it before I can use them.

They came as a set with a bench rear seat. Not great as I've got individual rear seats.... but I think that I might be able to fit them.

20180322_092304_zpsqra1xsvn.jpg

20180322_001814_zpsc9xhh8ks.jpg

As the leather on both the base and the back of the seat is in such a poor state and they're not heated, I might look at replacing the covers with new heated versions from Audi... we'll see how much they are!

Looking at the photos from the 'Guide rear seats' on here (great post by the way!), the outer front mounting brackets look to be in the same position as does the location for the support bar and the upper fixing points for the back to clip into. It's only the inner end location holes in the floor that are in a different position.

See the photos below:

A2%20rear%20bench%20seat%2002_zpsoe6yuuua.jpg

A2%20rear%20seat%20individual%2001_zpsox9xp1bl.jpg

I'm looking for photos with the carpets removed so that I can see the elongated holes clearly. If it's possible to cut the extra holes in the floor and use them, I'll fit them and put up pics.

MG

So I've ended up buying the set of black leather sport seats that have been doing the rounds from another A2OC member...

The ones that the passenger seat has rips in... except that'll be the drivers seat so I need to sort it before I can use them.

They came as a set with a bench rear seat. Not great as I've got individual rear seats.... but I think that I might be able to fit them.

20180322_092304_zpsqra1xsvn.jpg

20180322_001814_zpsc9xhh8ks.jpg

As the leather on both the base and the back of the seat is in such a poor state and they're not heated, I might look at replacing the covers with new heated versions from Audi... we'll see how much they are!

Looking at the photos from the 'Guide rear seats' on here (great post by the way!), the outer front mounting brackets look to be in the same position as does the location for the support bar and the upper fixing points for the back to clip into. It's only the inner end location holes in the floor that are in a different position.

See the photos below:

A2%20rear%20bench%20seat%2002_zpsoe6yuuua.jpg

A2%20rear%20seat%20individual%2001_zpsox9xp1bl.jpg

I'm looking for photos with the carpets removed so that I can see the elongated holes clearly. If it's possible to cut the extra holes in the floor and use them, I'll fit them and put up pics.

MG
It is not possible to do this safely so please do not try this. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back