Steering Wheel

Not that I am aware of, (just been clarified that it does, thanks for that)

To help ensure that the steering wheel goes on in the straight ahead position I do the following.

When you undo the original wheel most people try to keep it pointing straight ahead but undoing the nut and getting it off the splines means that it often moves out of line when you remove it.

I undo the wheel bolt NEARLY all of the way So that it is nice and loos but will keep the wheel lined up on the splines.
Then free off the splines and get the wheel loose but still on the splines.
Line it up dead ahead.
I then undo the bolt the last few turns by hand (again without disturbing the line up) and remove the wheel
You should now have the wheel off and the splines should be perfectly in line so that when you refit the wheel you can carefully get it on the splines correctly.

It sounds a bit of faffing about, but in the many times I have done this I have always managed to get it lined up without having to mark anything.

Steve B

Last edited:
When I did a steering wheel change on a T5, there was a dot on the wheel to match one on the steering column. This made sure the wheel was on and straight when driving straight, IYSWIM.. Does the A2 have the same marks?

I believe so - Skipton pointed them out to me when he changed mine.

When I did a steering wheel change on a T5, there was a dot on the wheel to match one on the steering column. This made sure the wheel was on and straight when driving straight, IYSWIM.. Does the A2 have the same marks?
Yes.
Though the seed of doubt was planted so...

Attachments

• IMG_20180127_191353.jpg
    IMG_20180127_191353.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 269
Last edited:
A2 steering wheels typically have a notch stamped in the wheel lining up with one at the top of the column shaft.

DSC04072.jpg

Its advisable to check if one is there and where it is so the new wheel can be lined up the same way. If a mark isn't visible you can either stamp the metal or apply some other kind of perminant indicator to aid allignment.

A tip when removing and replacing the steering wheel is to do it with the steering in the staight ahead position. This makes the alignment of the steering angle sensor easy as the central position is indicated by an orange dot showing though a small window in the corner. The sensor turns very easily so can be returned to the correct position for refitting if reassembly is at straight ahead.

regards

Andrew

Thanks for the info on the marks, it will be really helpful. #

I have not really looked for the marks in the past! You learn something new every day!

One tip, just in case a previous owner has not lined them up and the tracking has resolved that, check that they are lined up correctly before you remove the wheel. If you just line them up on the marks and they weren't before, then your steering wheel will be off centre.

Steve B

There's always a mark cast into the wheel and there's normally a scribe mark on the end of the steering column. These are always aligned from the factory but as Steve says, incorrect use of the tracking procedure can result in these marks becoming misaligned. So, when you've removed the bolt that holds the wheel to the column, always check where the marks are in relation to one another and if possible, take a photo on your phone for reference. You can then be certain that you put the wheel back in the same position.

Although not an A2 wheel, this photo shows the scribe mark and cast mark really well.

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 16.11.43 copy.jpg

Could you post a picture of it, so that we can see which one you used.

Thank you

Steve B

That is identical to the A2 Sport wheel.

Useful for anyone with a problem with theirs to know for sure that it s a straight swap, thanks

I was thinking of trying the other style with the same design but with a different centre ring on the airbag (widercchrome ring).

The major worry though is that the airbag electronics are ok and a match. I wouldn’t want the airbag to not operate. But if it is a single stage air bag with an identical connector that SHOULD? Be ok?

Cheers
Steve B

Was off an Audi 2001 a3 1.8 Quattro, that I cut up . Did have it on my 2005 vw 1.8t sharan for a year before . Sharan now has a TT steering wheel on it .

i have 1 i will sell identical to the one in your first post it is immaculate i suppose i should advertise it really

Is the air bag working right here?
Yes and no. I have changed the wiring of the airbag as this one is a two stage airbag. I have it wired so both stages goes in the same time in case of a crash. Not optimal. I don't have any fault codes in the system for the airbag.

Back