New owner & member - '02 TDI(75) SE

Proghound

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
Afternoon all -

Just a quick post to say Hi to everyone, and to thank recent new member Ben (BPwincroft) for making it so easy to buy his recently acquired A2 from him, this weekend just gone. Now with 5 owners, but stil 96k in very presentable condition, just serviced and even with ¾ tank of diesel on board. Finding his own recent introduction post I don't begrudge Ben in the slightest the small profit he apparently made. I hope it's some consolation for his better half's dislike curtailing his enjoyment of a car he'd always wanted.

I've very much enjoyed the first 50-60 miles I've driven. Being used to diesels I do feel it labours a bit under 1800 revs - maybe that's just because there are 3/4 as many cylinders firing per two engine revolutions as usual (or even 3/5 as many: my other car's a Volvo). It's easy to remember (if a little un-natural) to take all 30-limits in 3rd and 40-limits in 4th for flexibility. On the other hand, the tall gearing really seems to suit the factory engine map when you want to make progress, changing up at 3k revs (a bit less in the higher gears) to pick up in the torque band at 2k in the next gear, the engine note & beat is rather endearing. When you get to the motorway, it's like a much larger car. I can see why there are so many really high-milers out there.

So 'Doodlebug' is now on my drive and impressing all who encounter her with the fantastic design and the versatility of the interior. The 'interview' with my boss lady comes tonight, but this is to be my spare/bike transport/future classic car. The intention is that I can keep it available at any time for very low cost and hopefully not even lose much value, if any. If her Yaris goes bang and she borrows it, she'll just have to put up with whatever she doesn't like ;)

Having similar intentions to Ben, I also bought from him all the bits & pieces he'd sourced to refurbish the interior, which has saved me some work. Now I've had the time for a proper poke about I've found a few more things myself which I'll be looking to get hold of. So I look forward to meeting you all through posts & chats and learning more about keeping an A2 happy in long-term ownership. But now it's time to log off and drive it home - a great way to end the working day :)

Regards -

- Ian.

Welcome welcome. I think a box of ‘bits to do’ is an essential requirement with the A2 for making it yours.

I don’t remember Bens post so pictures please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick update - the boss lady, she say .... yay!

Prefers her Yaris (obvs), but isn't intimidated at all by the size or the gearing of the A2. We picked up her teenage daughter from Scouts and went for a spin. At one point she had it pulling like a train 3-up in 3rd up a hill of about 1 in 8 ... she certainly seems quite at home in it!

Pictures will follow I promise, hopefully tomorrow (the car, not the wife & daughter ;))

This is the one that was autotrader from the Wigan area I assume ? Chap was selling for a neighbour as they could no longer drive. Seemed tidy from the pics, and well worth the price tag. Be nice to see a few more pics as it sold really quickly I seem to remember.
My wife didn't want another A2 but after a few hiccups she came round so we're now on number three and she's enjoying her good decision ? ?

Thanks for the back-story info. Ben did get it from Wigan, yes - not surprised if he had to move fast, it's in pretty decent nick, especially the wheels. It didn't exactly spend long on Autotrader this time either!

Here are some pics taken earlier this morning. You can see it has the usual wear on the switches and an aftermarket stereo, these will be swapped for replacement originals I bought off Ben. I'll also be after replacements for the two side air vents which are missing the sliders, and a space-saver spare. Mechanically it just needs the tracking done and a cambelt/waterpump kit for peace of mind.

Photo0871.jpgPhoto0873.jpgPhoto0874.jpgPhoto0875.jpgPhoto0876.jpg

Very nice looking A2 in a nice colour
would be even better with a remap :)
see my remap thread if interested, massive improvement in power in torque especially in 3rd and 4th on A/B roads and 5th on motorways

Cheers,

Tony, that's wonderful, many thanks. If they're going to be suitable, do PM me to talk price, postage and Paypal. I haven't got round to tinkering with anything as yet (maybe over the forthcoming bank holiday weekends?) so I haven't found out how to get the current ones out ... sounds like it's not a case of being able to remove the clips from those and re-use them?

I did have a look underneath today though, at the crack (that I knew was there when I bought it) in the lower front bumper OS corner. Looks like whatever it was got that corner of the undertray too, it and the bumper are all taped up to the rest of the undertray.

Just looking on the 'bay and I can see an LY7R A2 being broken along with a good undertray at Bullzbitz (Omar Hussain) in Smethwick, Birmingham. Anyone have any experience dealing with him?

Thanks -

- Ian.

Most second-hand bumpers will have imperfections in their paintwork by now. Better to get a good condition used one and have it painted.

The rest of my front bumper is in pretty good nick, at least the easily visible bits are. I'm not looking for perfection at this stage, so I might just get away with replacing the undertray and joining the crack in the bumper from behind for now. At least that will do away with all the tape and allow the garage to work on the engine as normal.

For your information, LY7R = Silver Sea.

Bullzbitz is well known for his VERY VERY VERY VERY expensive prices. Steve Birchall dealt with him over leather seats and reported he was an okay guy who prefers to ask high prices and is in no hurry to sell.

Depending on the state of the front bumper it may be best to pick up an undamaged bumper, any colour, from any of the main recyclers on here and have it professionally sprayed, which you would want to do anyway even if you repaired the existing bumper. £175 should cover cost of bumper, postage and paint job. Be warned matching 15 year old paint is difficult so it might not look quite right. Personally if Bullzbitz can do a bit less, say £100 AND bumper in good condition I would go with him. Just an opinion.

Look at the recent thread on undertray, new £50 from Germany + shipping ??, or buy used from one of our recyclers, or repair, your choice.

Welcome by the way.

Andy

Edit. A tip with Bullzbitz. His ads are usually with Best Offer and looking at his feedback he often accepts an offer!

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I did think Bullzbitz was on the pricey side, good to know he will haggle. I'm of the same mind as you, do the initial repair but in the longer term keep an eye out for a good secondhand bumper already in the right colour so that hopefully it matches well. At least it's not a colour that fades easily! Talking of which, LY7R is what's on the sticker in my service book, and Google returns Crystal Blue for that, but LY7W when I search on Silver Sea. I'm searching by the paint code on eBay anyway so should be OK.

Thanks Andy. I did think Bullzbitz was on the pricey side, good to know he will haggle. I'm of the same mind as you, do the initial repair but in the longer term keep an eye out for a good secondhand bumper already in the right colour so that hopefully it matches well. At least it's not a colour that fades easily! Talking of which, LY7R is what's on the sticker in my service book, and Google returns Crystal Blue for that, but LY7W when I search on Silver Sea. I'm searching by the paint code on eBay anyway so should be OK.

Hello. Your car looks very crystal blue to me. It’s what I have. I’m very happy with the colour match on mine after swapping some parts. The bumper is from Somerset the car from York, the wing and bonnet I bought from a beaker of a2’s in Wales that I’m trying to remember the name of, (very reasonable and good packaging), all match perfectly. It cost far less than any painting would have cost. I did however drive about for 8 months looking very ropey while collecting all the parts. Bye for now. Tony.

Hello. Your car looks very crystal blue to me. It’s what I have. I’m very happy with the colour match on mine after swapping some parts. The bumper is from Somerset the car from York, the wing and bonnet I bought from a beaker of a2’s in Wales that I’m trying to remember the name of, (very reasonable and good packaging), all match perfectly. It cost far less than any painting would have cost. I did however drive about for 8 months looking very ropey while collecting all the parts. Bye for now. Tony.

Found it, his eBay name is mollys2626, real name Colin. Still seems to be trading. I haven’t looked into other feedback but I got what I ordered when I should, as described.

Yes, I was wrong, sorry, working from memory, maybe dementia is setting in! - Andy

Back