CV or not CV

johnyfartbox

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
so we all know , if a CV is knocking it most always shows up on tight- ish turns....yip?.....well on mine at the moment there is the dreaded sound of CV knock .......but not on turning but in a straight line, its not there when I'm just tootling about but putting my foot down.(it has been mapped by the way) I can hear the dreaded knock. I have never come across this before in the straight line drive.

I experienced something similar many years ago with an A2 under warranty. The Audi dealer did eventually solve the problem by doing something with the clutch slave cylinder?????
More recently I have experienced strange nocking noises under acceleration. Balance shaft chain tensioner was the culprit.
I’m going to follow this thread as I don’t think it is the CV and would like to see the outcome.

Ah yes, I read your detailed post re the Balance shaft chain tensioner . interesting indeed . Im just hoping its not the problem with mine. apart from the knocking noise , how else could you tell if it is the Balance shaft chain tensioner ?

Take the same approach as I did. Read the advice from Sarge, I think the advice is TDi engines over 100k are at risk. Try and find anything else that can rattle. Got 150k on and nothing else rattled so I assumed the worst and got on with it. I can confirm the rattle has now gone.
As for other symptoms I can’t see there being any as the timing will remain correct until the chain brakes. If when the chain breaks it doesn’t lock the crank then the benefit of the balance shaft would be lost and felt and I imagine oil pressure loss warnings would light up.
When looking for other rattle sources I started under the car looking at heat shields. Rot through and rattle nicely.

Last edited:
Well it looks like its the CV joint, drivers side but its not got quite as far as knocking when turning the car. Cheers Tom. (Timmus).

Useful to know thanks.
I have some new rattles that I’m monitoring. Could be something I’ve done to the car or perhaps they were there before I worked on the engine and it became much quieter?
I know my joints are badly worn, now definitely on my list of suspects.

I know my joints are badly worn, its an age thing.......lol
Yes, hang on to the drive flange and rotate the drive shafts, clonk clonk clonk. Is it possible to remove the drive shafts without detaching the bearing housing from the strut or ball joint?

Well ,thats both CV joints done and the knock is no longer there, absolute pain to get the nearside one off but all done now, so if you get a knock in a straight line check the CV joints first.

I’m convinced that my car has this problem at 150k miles. How many miles has your car clocked Please Johnny?
Did you manage to remove the shafts without splitting or removing the lower ball joint?
Thanks
Phil

Back